Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lithium Battery and Solar Panel install Update
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Lithium Battery and Solar Panel install Update Reply with quote

After all the helpful advice from this forum I would like to provide an update on my lithium battery purchase and solar panel setup.
I bought the 50 Ah lithium battery from GoWesty, the price was under $400 including shipping to Maine which I thought was a really good deal. I put it under the drivers seat and it fit nicely, plus it was so light it was easy to maneuver (no squashed fingers). I chose the 50 Ah battery because I don't have much demand, a Truck fridge, Propex heater and occasionally the radio in the evenings to listen to the Red Sox.
For the solar setup I went with all Renogy, DCC30S 12V 30A Dual Input DC-DC On-Board Battery Charger with MPPT, 500 amp battery monitor, 100 watt folding panel, and the blue tooth app. I also added the GoWesty hookup box and their 50 foot solar cable, its much more pliable than the Renogy cable.
I ran the battery for awhile before I added the DC to DC charger which turned out to be the real game changer. From what I read on the GoWesty site the alternator will only charge to 80% capacity. Someone who responded to one of my posts mentioned that to get the most out of the lithium setup the DC to DC charger is the way to go it charges faster and completely he was absolutely right.
Another part of the set up that is invaluable is the 500 A battery monitor. No more guess work about the amps I am using and the state of the battery.
Cost all in was about $1,000.
The best part I did the entire install.

Last edited by Maine on Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Lithium Battery and Solar Panel install Update Reply with quote

Sounds like a nice set-up and not over done. That should give you plenty of electrical power while camping. Nice job!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Lithium Battery and Solar Panel install Update Reply with quote

My understanding is that the alternator would not charge it all the way, but with a DC/DC charger in between, it should.
Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Lithium Battery and Solar Panel install Update Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:
My understanding is that the alternator would not charge it all the way, but with a DC/DC charger in between, it should.

That was my understanding as well, 80% with the alternator and 100% with the DC/DC charger and the charge is also much quicker with the charger, and my experience so far confirms that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: