Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2021 Type 3 Rally / Southern California / October 1-3
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: 2021 Type 3 Rally / Southern California / October 1-3 Reply with quote

I was wondering if there was any mechanicals happening, usually there are some minor glitches that need looking after.
looks like it was a fun time Cool

Quote:
The Type 3 Army did an awesome job with a late night Friday repair for a fan that exploded on one of the Type 3s. They managed to get Mike back on the road in time for most of Saturday's route. Truly awesome stuff from awesome people.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Type 3 Rally / Southern California / October 1-3 Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
I was wondering if there was any mechanicals happening, usually there are some minor glitches that need looking after.

Quote:
The Type 3 Army did an awesome job with a late night Friday repair for a fan that exploded on one of the Type 3s. They managed to get Mike back on the road in time for most of Saturday's route. Truly awesome stuff from awesome people.

The fan...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 2021 Type 3 Rally / Southern California / October 1-3 Reply with quote

The fan...

Rutroh Raggy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pedro sainz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Type 3 Rally / Southern California / October 1-3 Reply with quote

squaretobehip wrote:
W1K1 wrote:

Quote:

The fan...

No Way that was Balanced

To Much Over Kill Welding and Over Heat the Metal Shocked Shocked
N.O.N.A member #3
The Truth is Out There
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Type 3 Rally / Southern California / October 1-3 Reply with quote

pedro sainz wrote:
squaretobehip wrote:
W1K1 wrote:

Quote:

The fan...

No Way that was Balanced

To Much Over Kill Welding and Over Heat the Metal Shocked Shocked

Yup, too much heat around the hub. Crystalized the sheet metal (made it brittle).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Type 3 Rally / Southern California / October 1-3 Reply with quote

I wonder if the welding near the hub melted the rubber inside, causing it to no longer be balanced, and then the play and imbalance led to the grenading?

On the other hand, if it was welded tight, so the rubber is no longer doing anything, THEN balanced, it should be okay. But I figure VW added the rubber (making it a harmonic balancer) for a good reason.
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Type 3 Rally / Southern California / October 1-3 Reply with quote

Added the event video from Tim Seward on the Type 3 Rally page. I highly recommend giving it a watch to get you pumped for 2024!

It's also posted on our Instagram and Facebook pages.

https://vwispwest.com/2021-type-3-rally/

Follow ISP West on:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: 2021 Type 3 Rally / Southern California / October 1-3 Reply with quote

That video was ..AWESOME. Thank you for taking the time to film and edit it.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 2021 Type 3 Rally / Southern California / October 1-3 Reply with quote

Awesome video. I was so close, but car was not ready.

Martin
Allwagons

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 2021 Type 3 Rally / Southern California / October 1-3 Reply with quote

Video is awesome and professional and inspiring!

I sound like the old guy in the Progressive insurance commercials, but... it took a lot of planning and rushing around to pull off those shots while staying with the group. A great sacrifice by those who made it happen, THANKS!!
TommyBoyGomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Type 3 Rally / Southern California / October 1-3 Reply with quote

Awesome video, thanks a bunch Tim!
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: 2021 Type 3 Rally / Southern California / October 1-3 Reply with quote

Hey all, I have an article in the HotVWs August "Type 3 Special" issue covering the Type 3 Rally. Cool

See you in 2024!

Follow ISP West on:

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 2021 Type 3 Rally / Southern California / October 1-3 Reply with quote

Not on newsstands yet here, so I ordered it online. Pricey but worth it!!

I hope they aren't burned out on Type 3s, and run your story/photos from the 2022 Invasion soon!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: