Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Hey friends! Had an awesome weekend with the bug. Took it on a great ride from home (Long Island, NY) to Brattleboro, Vermont. Was a little over 325 miles not including the time spent on the ferry boat off of the island.

Two things of note on the trip.

1) We had one day of travel in moderate to heavy rain. I noticed some small amounts of water coming inside seemed like from the cowl. That draws my attention to the windshield seal, the washer nozzle, and the wiper shafts.
How tight should the nuts be on the wiper shafts, I assume too loose and the rubber grommets may not create a seal, but too tight probably would cause the same issue. The washer nozzle isn’t hooked up I have the tank and everything but never anticipated running it and didn’t want the hose running through the switch. Could water conceivably work inside from the nozzle and drip into the space?

2) I changed my oil a few weeks before the trip and noticed in it 2 sizes me chunks which appeared to be gear teeth. I believe the only gear that this might be would be the distributor drive gear which also might be indicative of my previous timing issues. However, on the trip at two different times I did encounter a peculiar sound in the engine. It was engine-speed-dependent. It was not noticeable at idle but was during acceleration specifically. There came a point where engine sound became too loud to hear it however. It actually made me pause to check the pulleys because it almost sounded like the generator pulley had spun loose. Like something was spinning. I even thought that it may have been bearings but was reminded by a friend these parts were magnetic and bearings are aluminum I think.

I’m going to change the oil again and see what it looks like. Any ideas on something else that I should check?

At no time did the car ever sound unhealthy. It always drove great, and accelerated strong, ran smooth and gave no indication it was hurting. I’m a bit confused.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

If it’s your distributor drive gear would that not be speed dependent and worse under load!
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Stupid question time!

Removed the chrome trim on the passenger side under the rear window. The trim popped loose while washing the car and I figured I’d tighten it up.
One of the rubber boots fell into the car. What’s involved in removing the interior panel - now that they’re all installed nicely nice - to retrieve the boot. I don’t have extra boots here. I could order them, but it might be faster to just get the one that fell in. Lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
Stupid question time!

What’s involved in removing the interior panel

Never a stupid question. Just something new to learn. The panels are held in with snap clips. if you have a trim removal tool slide it under the panel and around till you feel the clip and the pry it out. A screw driver will also work but is not as safe. You basically need something to get under the panel and pry it out. The wider the tool the better to distribute the load.

If your panels are OG then they are usually dry and brittle so be careful.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
64 bug nice used front/rear Black RHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Curious about seat belts. I bought a set from WW, along with the hardware and frankly - don’t love them. Even with the plastic/spring retractors I don’t like how these things stow away.
I’m familiar with the metal-hoop that came on (I believe) ‘67 beetles.
I’ve also seen a style with eyelet hooks at the floor and tunnel, then the belt ends have a lobster claw type fastener.
Thus my question, what would have been appropriate in ‘64 and further more if the later style eyelet and hook is appropriate for use on my ‘64, where can I find them?
I’m into that because it is easily removable which I do like.
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Check this out...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=758335
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

1964 accessories brochure (link here):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1964 owner's manual page on safety belts (shoulder-only style shown, no lap belt):

Manual non-retracting belts are typically stowed either laying on the seat bottom (lap belts) or hung through the B pillar assist strap (three point belts).

You can fit the later style lobster claw or clip latch style belts if you wish, even the more modern ones such as the EMPI belts shown in Big Bill's linked thread (though the factory shoulder mount point on your '64 is lower, they should still work). Saftey belts are something you don't want to cheap out or compromise on, so go with good quality and a style that you're happy dealing with every time you drive.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
However, on the trip at two different times I did encounter a peculiar sound in the engine. It was engine-speed-dependent. It was not noticeable at idle but was during acceleration specifically. There came a point where engine sound became too loud to hear it however. It actually made me pause to check the pulleys because it almost sounded like the generator pulley had spun loose.

Well! This problem came to a head this weekend, at genuinely the best moment possible. Was driving along on a local 3 lane highway when suddenly a loud clanging became evident at the rear of the car. It didn’t stop the car from moving or running, but any sudden change in well, anything, warrants an immediate check. I found the belt had rotated in the pulleys and the generator pulley - while still held on the generator shaft by the nut was separated front and back with the front part spinning freely in full 360* rotation. It seems the powder coat had failed and where the material was lost the rearward half - usually held captive by the shape of the centering hole - had been working it’s way open over the past two months to the point where now it was no longer keyed but instead has a complete circle worn in its center. Got a new belt and some pulleys out back together and the rattling sound mentioned back in Nuky is now completely gone.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

I just installed a USB charger in my ashtray from Classic Chargers. This thing is GENIUS. The amount of sleep I lost debating if I should stay 6V or update to 12V is immeasurable. I came to the realization that I’m lucky to have a 6V car where everything works as it should and the only “benefit” to updating was to run a Retrosound radio (for BlueTooth) and somehow manage to be able to charge my phone.
As I mentioned earlier in my build, I found Rich Langenwalter who updated my original radio to receive FM and added an Aux In for my BlueTooth receiver.
Now, my only worry was charging my iPhone. I’ve been driving the daylight out of my bug - trips in excess of 4 hours from home - necessitates GPS and the security blanket of my phone if something does go wrong.
I messaged Phil from Classic Chargers MONTHS ago, and then sat around and did nothing. I finally pulled the trigger and this was the best $50 I’ve spent.
The part is 3D printed and fit in the ashtray perfectly. Two small holes are drilled in the forward (front is front) part of the ashtray as well as the case that the tray sits in. He supplies two grommets to protect the wire and then it’s just plug and play. It hides away cleanly with no permanent damage to the dash. Easy to swap out the ashtray if I ever take up smoking though.

matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Nice upgrade. I have been eyeing that too for my bug but a ways away.

Regarding your pulley. I have heard more than one story where powder coat has caused issues. Usually it is with the lug nuts coming off. Never heard one on the generator pulley. Thank you for sharing so we all can learn and avoid.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
Nice upgrade. I have been eyeing that too for my bug but a ways away.

Regarding your pulley. I have heard more than one story where powder coat has caused issues. Usually it is with the lug nuts coming off. Never heard one on the generator pulley. Thank you for sharing so we all can learn and avoid.

Matthew, it's totally worth it. It's just a 3D printed "case" with the USB-A plugs. As for whatever else is inside, I don't know. But getting the subtle angles of the inside profile of the ash tray correct had to have been a trick.
I like that the only 'modification' was to the ash tray and not anything to the dash, since the ash tray is easily swapped out with 2 screws - if for some crazy reason I wanted the ash-tray functionality back in the future.

As for the pulley, I was blown away. I too have heard of powder coat failing under some conditions - like the lug bolts. But I had been hearing this rattle that was progressively worsening. Until one day I spun my belt, and when I grabbed the pulley I realized that the rear (rear is rear) part of the pulley was spinning free. On inspection, the powder coat had failed, and over time the rattle I was hearing was the rear part spinning around. The 'keyed' hole actually worked its way open to a full circle!
I just threw it away yesterday. I should have taken a photo of it first.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

I’d like to get my heater boxes connected for an upcoming holiday parade I have coming. I admit, having had a Bug maybe 15 years ago, and a bay window after that with a gas heater I never had to deal with heater box cables.
I know my cables and boxes did work because my car had heat before I took it all apart for paint. The cables are still in their spots and the heater boxes and the black heater box “accordion” tubes are in place. I suspect my cables just need to be reconnected to the boxes themselves.
I see WW sells a kit for the L and R side which seems to come with the lever, and barrel nuts, the spring, and a little “arm” which I think connects the lever to the barrel nut.
Does anyone have good clear photos of how this all gets hooked up for me to reference against my car?
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!
Mike
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Does this help?

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

These are a huge help! Thank you!
Turns out, my car still has the “connector” there on both sides, and on the passenger side, the barrel nut is still camped to the cable, though not connected to the box. The drivers side is missing the barrel nut, and the end of the cable is missing the metal slug, but looks like it was folded over to give the barrel nut some bite. I’ll get to replace the cables but at least for now I know I have 99% of my parts.
Is there a way to ensure that the knob is in the correct position before connecting? Do I need to worry even?
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

This might help: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=211077
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

toxicavenger70 wrote:
This might help: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=211077

YES! I was trying to figure out how to remove the knob. Looks like it’s in that thread. I’ll get to reading!
Thank you!
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Looking for some pointers.

I am removing my pedal cluster from my 64 bug. Sending it out for a rebuild, as its kinda overdue.

I pulled the rear drivers wheel off for access to the clutch cable, and removed the nut holding it in place. I also disconnected the accelerator cable from the carb and made sure it could go through the bowden tube easily. Then, I put the rear wheel back on and put my bug back on the ground.

I moved forward flipped the floor mats over to the other side for easy access to the cluster. I removed the 2 bolts holding the pedal assembly to the tunnel, then disconnected the accelerator cable from the Z bar, and removed the pin to pull the accelerator pedal off of the floor bracket.

Now, I am trying to understand how to remove the assembly from the brake pushrod. There is a nut there, do I turn that nut, or the "cage"?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:

Now, I am trying to understand how to remove the assembly from the brake pushrod. There is a nut there, do I turn that nut, or the "cage"?

Neither, the nut and "cage" are used to alter the length of the pushrod so don't mess with that.

To remove the brake pushrod from the pedal cluster, unbend the retaining tab that passes over the pushrod then extract the pivot pin from the brake pedal. See below.

obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Thanks MukLuk! The photos were a huge help. I saw that folded tab, but didn't realize it had to come off to remove the pin. The assy is out now!

How do I pull the cable through the bowden tube? It seems the threaded end is too thick to fit through, but I know this can't be the case. The cable should be able to feed through there, and come out the front hole of the tunnel where the assembly goes, right? Am I missing something here?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike's 1964 1200 Deluxe Reply with quote

Correct, both the accelerator and clutch cables go in and come out at the front near the pedal cluster.

If the cable end doesn't want to pass through the bowden tube to remove the cable (and you have a new one to install), you can usually cut one end of the cable off. What happens is sometimes the inside of the bowden tube gets buggered up, effectively making the interior diameter smaller. If this is the case then a new bowden tube will also be needed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: