Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

NEW charcoal filter canisters
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
todd73ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: NEW charcoal filter canisters Reply with quote

Has anybody heard of or seen these new canisters?
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24-BAA-201-801

I think it could work as a replacement for the front canister as well by capping one of the extra nozzles and using an adapter to go from smaller vacuum line to larger one. looks sweet to me as that is the only part i have not replaced with regard to the vapor vacuum setup.

"This Genuine VW replacement charcoal canister can be fitted to replace all years of Beetle, Ghia, Type-3, Bus and Thing that original came with a canister. We have a limited supply of these and when they are gone, that will be it."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opened my cannister up and replaced the charcoal with new activated charcoal from the aquarium section in the local pet store. Took three small sandwich bags of charcoal but it worked. Painted the exterior a flat black and it looks new.

2012 Silverado
53 FiberFab MG TD Replica (VW)

Life is hard and its harder if you're stupid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

74Ghia wrote:
I opened my cannister up and replaced the charcoal with new activated charcoal from the aquarium section in the local pet store. Took three small sandwich bags of charcoal but it worked. Painted the exterior a flat black and it looks new.

That's all it takes.
SkrapMetal
Samba Hornblaster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you reseal it though?
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just weld it shut again, it is pretty easy to do.

If someone needs one fixed send me a PM
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add that you use bone charcoal and not wood charcoal as the wood likes to absorb moisture.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: NEW charcoal filter canisters Reply with quote

todd73ghia wrote:

I think it could work as a replacement for the front canister ...

The front canister that looks similar is not a charcoal canister. It is an expansion tank for the gas tank. If you put the one from CIP there, you won't have the volume needed for the contents of the tank to expand into if necessary.
74Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The charcoal cannister on my 74 is plastic. I pried open the tabs on the end and took everything out cnad put the charcoal into three small sandwich bags to know roughly how much charcoal to purchase. Then after cleaning and repainting the cannister with flat black paint, I lined up everything in order of removal and took a few pictures. I'll see if I can find them. If so I'll post them if in the gallery. After putting it all together the end piece snaps into place and there were some small rubber plugs that get inserted into the end cap tab spaces to assist in sealing. After that I ran a very small bead of black silicone caulk around the end. After all that.....I don't need an emissions test so I'm not using the system. Still have it though in case the gvmt changes their collective minds.

2012 Silverado

70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still run the expansion tank and charcoal canister. They don't cost you any performance, and if they do something for the environment... why not?
74Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

70 140 I know it doesn't cost me performance wise but switching to dual carbs, I'm not certain how the cannister should hook up. One line from the expansion cannister to charcoal cannister I know but what about the other two? Do they both run to the air cleaners?

2012 Silverado

70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

74Ghia wrote:
70 140 I know it doesn't cost me performance wise but switching to dual carbs, I'm not certain how the cannister should hook up. One line from the expansion cannister to charcoal cannister I know but what about the other two? Do they both run to the air cleaners?

Yeah, I am still running the stock oil bath cleaner. You would have to add a port to one of your air cleaner bodies. Not really worth doing IMO... I only left mine in place because I had all the parts.
ebatters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW charcoal filter canisters Reply with quote

Does anyone have a picture of how the lines run from gas tank to evap canister and charcoal filter? is it one line or 2? There is a nipple sticking up a bit in back of the evap cannister location and I wonder if that is the end point for tubing from the cannister. Right now my vert has a single line running from tank back to the charcoal filter, bypassing the evap. This is not working...gas fumes noticeable and all other leak points addressed.
Thanks

74 Vert.
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: NEW charcoal filter canisters Reply with quote

There is a nipple in the front trunk kind of behind the fuel filler hose. That line runs down in the right front wheel well. There it connects with a hose to another metal line that is clipped into some brackets that are held on my the pan bolts. That line runs back to the right rear wheel well where another piece of hose connects it to yet another metal line in the wheel well that exits the wheel well and enters the front right of the engine compartment. Whew... then a hose to the charcoal canister.

I had a sketch of the line routing along with the lengths of hose you need to reinstall the system... I can't find it right now. I'll keep looking... You need a lot of hose up front. It zigzags back and forth under the cowl a few times.

David
Edit Found it! It's a PDF and I cannot get it to upload so i can post it. If you PM your e-mail, I'll send it to you.
ebatters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: NEW charcoal filter canisters Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch. This will be a great help. I'll pm you as soon as the system lets me. ..new member.
Ed
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW charcoal filter canisters Reply with quote

Quote:
The front canister that looks similar is not a charcoal canister. It is an expansion tank for the gas tank. If you put the one from CIP there, you won't have the volume needed for the contents of the tank to expand into if necessary.

Can I ask for a confirmation on this comment? I thought the front canister was a charcoal canister that eliminated the smell from evaporating fuel. It doesn't look to my inexperienced eye like an expansion tank. Although I am frequently wrong...

Or am I misunderstanding and we are talking about something else. Photo prior to disassembly below of the canister...

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW charcoal filter canisters Reply with quote

Matt, Charcoal canister is at the back near the engine, it's like an early catalytic converter. That one under the hood, up front. is an evaporation tank and connected directly to the gas tank and then vents outside. I've never seen an evap canister with anything inside. Since yours is a later model, it may run along the pan channel, like explained above, and then into your charcoal canister, if you are going to hook that up like stock. Although the charcoal canister looks familiar, I think it has another nipple for an additional hose, and an area to possibly refill it. Look through that emissions thread I sent, it should explain it better

I'm just using mine to vent any vapors so the inside doesn't smell like gas in the heat.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW charcoal filter canisters Reply with quote

Matt, Here is what a stock charcoal canister looks like in a 74.

Notice the additional nipple and where the hoses connect. It looks similar, but it's a little more boxy. and I think some of them were even plastic.

Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
pkbghia Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW charcoal filter canisters Reply with quote

anybody got a schematic on the whole evap system for a ghia? I have all components but was not sure where to run some of the tubing

thanks
kurt

1970 Ghia body off restoration in process
davidmeigs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW charcoal filter canisters Reply with quote

I am reassembling a 74 vert and have the same question. Does anybody have a diagram of the vapor line routing? I have the parts but not sure of the connections.
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: NEW charcoal filter canisters Reply with quote

I have a rough sketch wit the lengths of the hoses in the luggage compartment of my '73, they should be the same. It's a PDF and I have not been able to figure out how to post a PDF. PM me your e-mail and I'll send it.
d
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: