Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Six seater buggy build ( long term project)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Took the rail to a friend's house as he has a place to ride. Was able to shake it down and find things that need fixing.
First off is the trans. It shifted well and was kicking down better and better , then it got hung up between a gear or something.
Could hear it click in each gear and nothing would happen. Turned it off and started it up again and would go in gear and drive until it tried to up shift and then it's a fist full of neutrals. Shut it off and it would start all over again; so I'm gonna see if anything is stuck in the valve body.
The second thing is it needs an alignment bad, it is real swirly above 30mph.
The Master cylinder is still spongy, so I'm gonna replace that.
But it was fun to get it going on the dirt.
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Well got the pan off and there is stuff in it. The weird thing is the oil is kinda milky, it has never been out side and had fresh fluid in it. Thinking it may have been in the torque converter.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The filter was caked with the sluggish stuff. It is not magnetic and mostly goes away when rubbed between you fingers. Going to see what is in the valve body and clean it all. Then try it with fresh fluid and see what happens.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Not nice! Good luck with that, hope it works and that is all that's wrong.
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

I hope that's all it is, but if it's not then I will have to rebuild it. It's a lot to ask of a 40 year old trans to work like new with a engine that has 3x the torque lol.
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

If I remember right from transmission class, milky fluid is usually water contamination. Auto tranys get that from a leaky cooling tank in the radiator. Did you drain the torque converter prior to installing it? You may have to flush the trany to get it all out. Once it's clean and operating correctly, run it until it's hot and keep it there for a while to boil all of the remaining water out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Cleaned the converter as good as I could with brake cleaner before I installed it. The fluid was good and red up until this last outing, not sure what happened to it. But I'm going to clean it out and try again
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

matthewl wrote:
Cleaned the converter as good as I could with brake cleaner before I installed it. The fluid was good and red up until this last outing, not sure what happened to it. But I'm going to clean it out and try again

Hmmm. I think I misunderstood something. It seems this wasn't the first run of this engine/trany? If that's the case, forget what I said about a contaminated converter. I thought it was the first run of a rebuilt engine/trany/. If there was any water in there, it would have come out as soon as it ran up the first time.

So! Does the trany have a cooler inside the radiator? If so, check it for leaks. Now it's starting to look like a lot of finely ground band material. Compare the color of the band material in this photo to your fluid color.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ati-905401?seid...boQAvD_BwE
It kind of looks similar!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Well the transmission rebuild kit is ordered. Cleaning the valve body did something, just not what I wanted. Holds first year real good now ( use to slip), but has no reverse and will not shift out of first lol. So looks like I get to learn how to rebuild it.
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Rebuild kit arrived today from rock auto. Hopefully next week I can start taking it apart.

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Well got the motor and transmission out, will start disassemble during the week hopefully.

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Well I got the transmission disassembled and some more parts came in the mail. For some reason I was under the impression that the brake bands for these automatics are no longer available. But through some searching on COBRA transmissions website I found they sell them for around $18.

Also got the molded Pistons too.

For some reason someone took out the brake band adjuster and pushrod and replaced it with a bold lol. That explains why second gear was not really doing anything. Called Harold Carter and he's got one on the way for me. If you guys need transmission rebuild or parts give him a call , he's on the samba.
A video of taking it all apart.

Link

stevebaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Enjoyed your video. seems to come apart easy enough. How much will you have in the tranny when its done. don't forget to soak the new parts in Tranny fluid before you reassemble.
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Stevebaz the rebuild kit and converter sleeve( figure I should just have that for one day but mine is good) Cost about $200. The band and molded Pistons cost about $60 shipped. So I should come in around $300 if it all works lol. Luckily the diff section is all good. If the bearings or ring and pinion were burned out in there, that would be a whole different story.
stevebaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Thank you for the follow-up.
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Glad I bought those molded Pistons.

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

So found wore out and missing parts in the transmission. Started putting it all back together, hopefully I can see if it works in a few days.
Link

stevebaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

thank You for including us in this process.
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

Well got a new starter as the original was just not doing it. Found this one on Amazon and it has the same part # that a vanagon site had so I took a chance. Only bought it from Amazon because I could get it quickly and return it if it didn't work. Normally I would get it from a vw shop. And yes I know people use an adapter and a TDI starter. But I'm in a hurry lol, so this is the route I took.

Link

matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

So bug jam is this weekend.......
The transmission is working great so far and the kickdown is doing it's job.
Need to go and check a few things and take it for a road test.
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Six seater buggy build ( long term project) Reply with quote

So bug jam is today. Hopefully I make the 165 mile trip ( we take the back roads) in comfort with my temporary body lol.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: