Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do our stock oil filters filter contaminants?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:48 am    Post subject: How do our stock oil filters filter contaminants? Reply with quote

I still have a difficult time understanding how our screen type oil filters give us filtration of contaminants. Please school me professors.

I saw this video today and got to thinking should I get an Empi spinoff modification for my 1600DP? I prefer stock for good reasons but please educate me.

Link

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pops67Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: How do our stock oil filters filter contaminants? Reply with quote

The original oil screens do stop particles from being recirculated back to the oil. On a camping trip I used a brand new one I had on hand to make coffee when someone who shall remain nameless forgot the percolator basket. Anything that can filter coffee grounds will stop metal shavings. My bug has over 330k miles on it and it has never failed ( as far as I know).

67 Beetle bought new, 95% stock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: How do our stock oil filters filter contaminants? Reply with quote

Engine tolerances our old VW are not as tight as they are on modern engines. Therefore, I believe the screens are adequate. Of course full flow is better but i don't think in my particular situation I'm going to feel the need to switch.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: How do our stock oil filters filter contaminants? Reply with quote

They interrupt the flow around the pick up enough to basically let the big chunkies fall out of the oil in circulation and end up on the plate.

Do you know when you see those black streaks around the plenums in a building HVAC? they usually arent coming from the vent, they are particles settling from the room air due to the flow from the vent, a related principle.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: How do our stock oil filters filter contaminants? Reply with quote

The screen protects the oil pump from sucking up something big and getting jammed in the gears and breaking it. It's not a filter.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: How do our stock oil filters filter contaminants? Reply with quote

Following recommended oil changes makes filtration unnecessary. The oil dies from heat and gasoline contamination, no filter will fix that. Many engine manufacturers had no filters before 1970, just regular oil changes ( every 1000 miles or less depending on circumstance). I'm not saying filters are a gimmick, I am saying its not the only way and VW knew that.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How do our stock oil filters filter contaminants? Reply with quote

I have CB Performance Maxi2 oil pump/filter units on both my VWs. One of the Maxi2 units is over 40 years old. 26mm gears.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How do our stock oil filters filter contaminants? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
The screen protects the oil pump from sucking up something big and getting jammed in the gears and breaking it. It's not a filter.

Like this?
From a couple years ago.

Yeah, I was dumb enough to think that the FF would protect things. Wrong!
I should have run a screen. That was a 1k mistake. Shocked

Screens keep chunks out of the sensitive bits of the engine.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: How do our stock oil filters filter contaminants? Reply with quote

Great information but I'm still uncomfortable about contaminants via the video but understand newer engines needing much less contaminants. I'm going to keep my 1600DP stock but perhaps in the future I'll add the other filter.
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: How do our stock oil filters filter contaminants? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Like this?
From a couple years ago.

Yeah, I was dumb enough to think that the FF would protect things. Wrong!
I should have run a screen. That was a 1k mistake. Shocked

Screens keep chunks out of the sensitive bits of the engine.

The filter is after the pump, the screen is before the pump.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: How do our stock oil filters filter contaminants? Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Great information but I'm still uncomfortable about contaminants via the video but understand newer engines needing much less contaminants. I'm going to keep my 1600DP stock but perhaps in the future I'll add the other filter.

Much of what you read on the internet and especially YouTube is bullshit. Going on 50 years experience with VW has shown me the stock screen and using oil that meets specs along with regular oil changes is just fine. You could use a filter pump for that extra feeling of well being, like a belt and suspenders 😀

From what I’ve seen plain old neglect is what does these cars in, keep on top of the maintenance. I’ve used 10w30 for years no problems.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: How do our stock oil filters filter contaminants? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
You could use a filter pump for that extra feeling of well being, like a belt and suspenders 😀

Link

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: How do our stock oil filters filter contaminants? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

I'd shield that filter. Radiant heat extraordinaire. Especially in AZ.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: How do our stock oil filters filter contaminants? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

I notice Mrs Cusser just favours suspenders, no belt Wink

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: How do our stock oil filters filter contaminants? Reply with quote

finster wrote:
I notice Mrs Cusser just favours suspenders, no belt Wink

In the US we call them a belt, in the UK they call them suspenders.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: How do our stock oil filters filter contaminants? Reply with quote

Is there an engine in that pic? I hadn't noticed.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: How do our stock oil filters filter contaminants? Reply with quote

I thought in the UK they called suspenders “braces” .
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How do our stock oil filters filter contaminants? Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
Cusser wrote:

It should be painted white to radiate best.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How do our stock oil filters filter contaminants? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Splitdog wrote:

It should be painted white to radiate best.

Oh, you troublemaker!
Twisted Evil
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How do our stock oil filters filter contaminants? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

Much of what you read on the internet and especially YouTube is bullshit. Going on 50 years experience with VW has shown me the stock screen and using oil that meets specs along with regular oil changes is just fine. You could use a filter pump for that extra feeling of well being, like a belt and suspenders 😀

From what I’ve seen plain old neglect is what does these cars in, keep on top of the maintenance. I’ve used 10w30 for years no problems.

Sure its just fine....for the "expected lifespan" of those engines in those days.

It was not uncommon for a variety of reasons for type 1 and 3 engines with no filter to need a top end rebuild at 50k (and not because of valve quality)....and a lower end refurb by 85-100k miles. And...that was just fine when quality VW parts were cheap.

However....among improvements to these engines when the type 4 was begun in 1967.....the spin on oil filter was the main part that effectively doubled engine life of bearings.

But its worth noting....just staying with the stock 1600 set up...strainer and no filter....and using modern oil....with same interval change.....has probably given these engines an hnest 30-40% lifespan increase even without a filter. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: