Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

Another great source - thanks.

I think every time I get an answer - I get 4 more questions...

Looking at the OutFront Motorsports header compared to the RJES manifold - the price difference is not huge (about $30). One is cast stainless steel and one is not.

My instinct tells me the cast is nicer - it looks nicer, and appears to be a heftier build. What are the pros and cons of a header vs a manifold?

Still working on getting my existing header off - just about got it - but the left and right halves are stuck together, and I can't quite get any leverage...I'll keep you updated...

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
I see a stock vanagon mustache bar in that pic. My understanding is KEP header does not work with vanagon mustache bar, unless something has changed? I have KEP setup on my syncro and no way would the mustache bar fit

KEP header works with a Smallcar engine carrier and moustache bar (2WD). The muffler is pushed right for the Smallcar muffler mount so you might need an additional muffler brace, but I used only one of the Smallcar mounts on a vanagon muffler.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

So with the KEP header fits with the SC setup on a 2wd, do you see it being a problem on a syncro ?, where the mustache bar standoffs are longer.
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I have the original mustache bar - I know the engine bumpers (rubber things between engine and holder) say Subaru on them. What I think is the original mustache bar - appears to just support the skid plate and the rear heat shield.

I got the old header off. I got the gaskets off - cleaned the head surface. This was in not too bad shape.

One of the nuts was missing - and I could see there was definitely an exhaust leak at that point. One of the studs had been replaced with a bolt.

Two of the studs were loose - ie they could wiggle a little. Overall - I think three studs need work.

I'm pretty sure that means Helicoil time? I can also see the threads are fairly worn on the holes. I've never used one of these before. Do I drill the hole, or are they designed to work with existing worn threads? Some direction on this appreciated - when I look it up online, it seems like all the examples are starting with a solid block of steel.

When I put new studs in, do you use threadlocker to hold them in place, or do you use anti-seize - so they are easy to remove? And will any generic stud work (as long as the threads are correct?) or do you need a special one for this application.

Thanks for your help. At this point I may get existing manifold welded up - while I research my options. My local mechanic thinks he can weld it up, although he has not seen it yet. I'll take it over to him tomorrow or Tuesday.

Just heard back from Tom Shiels - he is no longer making the exhaust headers.

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

Can you post pics of the complete header and the moustache bar?
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

Ok - to be clear - this is my first non-aircooled VW. So what I think is the mustache bar, may actually be called something else.

here are pics of the header -

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And no, I do not have an invisibility cloak, it has been removed from the vehicle.

Here are 2 pics of what I think is called the mustache bar. Currently it appears to just be used to support the skid plate and exhaust (both removed before pic)

here is a pic of my skid plate installed. When looking at this closely - it appears to have been modified where the header crosses in front of the engine. My first syncro -so I don't know what an original one looks like.

Lastly pics of what appears to be the engine supports. I believe this a KEP engine mount.

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

Thanks for posting those pics
Looks like they refabbed the skid plate and the mustache bar to work together. Not a bad solution. What is your ground clearance from skid plate down?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

I've got my skid plate off now, but ground clearance was pretty good - actually very good, as PO raised the vanagon 2". I can't give you a measurement now as the plate is off. but I'll check it when I put it back together.

I would estimate it at 11" based on the bar to ground clearance (13") and hole location on skid plate (2" above bottom of plate).

Do I have the terms labelled correctly? IE is the bar behind my engine the mustache bar?

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

That looks like a KEP header to me. You can use Helicoils or Timeserts. Drill the hole out with the appropriate drill bit, re-tap it for the coil insert to match the replacement stud threads.
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

thanks - so it looks like i already have a KEP header.

The current studs are m10x1.25 (Fine thread). I apologize for the stupid question, but do I get a helicoil of that size?

Like this one - https://tinyurl.com/y8bjaazk
IE with Helicoil - am I getting a repair of the same thread, or are you drilling and re-tapping to the next size up? And when you use a helicoil - do you use threadlok to hold it in place?

Thanks again...

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

Same size. The coil has Locktite applied to the outside before threading it in. I did one in the head for the intake manifold. You can make a 90 degree corner guide out of wood to keep the drill straight when drilling. You might find a kit at your local auto parts store.
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

just to update - thanks for the help.

Local mechanic welded manifold back together. I painted with some sort of header high temp (2000 degree paint)

If I need a new one - I think I can go with KEP header

I had to drill out one of the exhaust stud holes, re-tapped, and installed helicoil. 1st time didn't really work. Helicoil didn't go into hole for some reason. (obviously user error)

2nd time - helicoil went in, but broke when it was about 3/4 of the way in. I thought it should still work - but exhaust stud would not grab it. I've got to get my yearly inspection - so when on the lift - I'll ask mechanic if he has any ideas.

I was hoping this was going to solve my "check engine light" but did not. Time for another thread...

Again - many thanks for all the posts and info on this thread.

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

Looking at a header and got a picture of it. Zoomed in on the welds.
These don't look good to me and I'm not a welder. Look like almost no penetration on the tubing.
What do you guys think?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

I like the idea of using the mustache bar to good a heat shield

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

mtnhome wrote:
Looking at a header and got a picture of it. Zoomed in on the welds.
These don't look good to me and I'm not a welder. Look like almost no penetration on the tubing.
What do you guys think?

I am a welder and they look good to me. It's painted so you can't see the heat affected zone, I see the welds are convex and may look cold but mig welds can build like that and still be as solid as a convex tig fillet. Maybe, over time and heat cycle expansion and contraction cracks may form at the edge of a tall bead but I wouldn't assume no penetration there.
I mean yeah you can do a flatter bead but I just don't see a red flag here.
I have done several muffler repair welds for friends and my bosses friends and never had a complaint.

Could be that section at the Y might be a an issue but that could be a 2nd pass..I'd say run it and see how it does. Sure looks a lot better than it did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

Thanks Crankey!
I was just remembering from shop class many years ago about cold welds having that convex look because of little penetration. Guys would just pile up the weld on top of the material.
I'm thinking of going with the latest version of the Small Car SS header. I can't seem to find any real complaints about the current version.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

If your really concerned, wire brush and solvent some of the paint off the welds that bother you and find someone with a tig to melt the beads in a little nicer.
The mechanic who welded it may be a lot more mechanic than welder. I don't think he did a crap job to be sloppy, I'm sure, like most people he wouldn't want you coming back with a problem, but did the best he could with skills, tools and parts he has.
He may have gone with a colder weld because the exhaust tubing was rusting so thin it's hard not to just blow holes in it trying to weld it.
Most repairs I did came from a friend, home based mechanic with a customer trying to eek out a few more miles from a system that really needed replacing.
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

Actually, thats a new header, not a repair. That's why I thought those welds didn't look so great for something built on a jig in a shop.

I appreciate your feedback!
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

it looks like you folks may have confused my header (used, cracked etc) with the new one that mtnhome got.

'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
mathieux46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Exhaust headers - Recommendations? Reply with quote

Hi,

I’m currently planning a Subarugears manual transmission installation. Does anyone know if a KEP header will work with a Subarugears transmission ?

I think i read someone said there interference between a KEP header with the Subaru transmission.

Thanks

Mathieu
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Jump to:
Page 15 of 15

Jump to: