Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to me…3rd family….1966
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Essthreetee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: New to me…3rd family….1966 Reply with quote

So, after acquiring my wife’s dream car (Notchback) my son and I got the bug for another bug. My son kept sending me links of cars for sale and then he came across one in the classifieds that was in our price range and only 40 minutes away. So after contacting the previous owner and then selling my Harley, we went and bought this 1966, mostly original bug.

It has the original motor, transaxle, wheels, interior (needs to be replaced) and has never been in an accident. I am the 3rd owner.

When I bought it, the paint was totally sun baked. With a little elbow grease and a lot of cleaner and wax….it is almost like new (well, what I have completed so far is).

It is going to be a project for me and my son, and I couldn’t be happier.

Here are some pics…..as purchased…
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After some waxing…

Posed with a friends 63…
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me…3rd family….1966 Reply with quote

You lucked out with the '66! Excellent results on the original paint after all your polishing and waxing work. Will you continue with the black interior color?

Exeter- I actually stayed there about 20 years ago; spent the night at the Best Western and had an enjoyable stroll thru town admiring the many murals on the building walls. Next day drove a few miles to CB Performance's shop, then headed up into Sequoia and Kings Canyon park.
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: New to me…3rd family….1966 Reply with quote

Nice looking 66!

Casey
Essthreetee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: New to me…3rd family….1966 Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
You lucked out with the '66! Excellent results on the original paint after all your polishing and waxing work. Will you continue with the black interior color?

Exeter- I actually stayed there about 20 years ago; spent the night at the Best Western and had an enjoyable stroll thru town admiring the many murals on the building walls. Next day drove a few miles to CB Performance's shop, then headed up into Sequoia and Kings Canyon park.

Yeah. I think I lucked out. As for interior…I believe we will stay with the original black.

And as for Exeter, yeah….it’s a cool town. Still has that small town feel. Been here for almost 25 years. Has some very beautiful things to see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: New to me…3rd family….1966 Reply with quote

NICE car!

Even with popouts, black seats might be hot in the California sun.

Was a lighter (cream?) color an option? It could be "original style" if so, and be a lot more comfortable!

Last edited by KTPhil on Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me…3rd family….1966 Reply with quote

Essthreetee wrote:
Yeah. I think I lucked out.

You sure did Applause...that's one sweet-looking car! Good score...

Great job on restoring the finish too.

'66s are getting popular...they're currently featured in several active threads.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me…3rd family….1966 Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
'66s are getting popular...they're currently featured in several active threads.

Yeah, '66s are the new '67s! Wink
BSheldon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me…3rd family….1966 Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
rcooled wrote:

Yeah, '66s are the new '67s! Wink

There's certainly quite a few of us on here right now. What I'm realizing (to benefit or detriment depending on what issue I'm working through) is that while everyone typically talks about 1967 being a 1 year only car, the 1966 (at least the original cars - mine's been 12v converted so doesn't really apply) seem to fall into the same category. Quite a few one-year quirks I've noticed.

Perhaps this can be said about most years of the type 1, since it's such an iterative car, but '66 really catches that sweet spot (biased) between the older cars and the slim pillars (gotta have the Porsche style headlights in my opinion). The only thing I dislike is my mangel wheels...smoothies are so much better...
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: New to me…3rd family….1966 Reply with quote

Sweet looking ride!
Essthreetee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me…3rd family….1966 Reply with quote

Here is an update of the car. Since she has joined our family, she has gotten polished (paint came back beautifully), she got a new 4” narrowed adjustable beam and drop spindles from Aircooled Vintage Works, she got 2” drop adjustable plates in the rear from Type-E Motorsports, and a new set of Empi 5 spike rims from classifieds here.

I am having more fun and loving this car more than any other vehicle I have ever owned.

sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: New to me…3rd family….1966 Reply with quote

That' one sharp looking '66! Love the stance too.
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: New to me…3rd family….1966 Reply with quote

Essthreetee wrote:
Here is an update of the car. Since she has joined our family, she has gotten polished (paint came back beautifully), she got a new 4” narrowed adjustable beam and drop spindles from Aircooled Vintage Works, she got 2” drop adjustable plates in the rear from Type-E Motorsports, and a new set of Empi 5 spike rims from classifieds here.

I am having more fun and loving this car more than any other vehicle I have ever owned.

Your car is stunning. Very cool. Thanks for posting the update! Applause

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: New to me…3rd family….1966 Reply with quote

That paint really came back nice, looks great
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me…3rd family….1966 Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
That paint really came back nice, looks great

X2

I'm amazed at how great the paint came back. Such a clean 66' bug. WEll done!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: New to me…3rd family….1966 Reply with quote

Beautiful car it really shined up nice, the nice ones are still out there. I have some friends that live in Exeter they are into VWs too. Smile
corro23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: New to me…3rd family….1966 Reply with quote

Nice job! Looks great! Paint really came back!
I pickedup a '66 project car for my son and I also, such a great way to spend time with them.

64 - Next project
66 - Maintaining
---
73 Super (sold)
63, 66, 73 Super (history)
Essthreetee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me…3rd family….1966 Reply with quote

Big Bill wrote:
Beautiful car it really shined up nice, the nice ones are still out there. I have some friends that live in Exeter they are into VWs too. Smile

Thank you to everyone for the nice compliments. I was very surprised and excited about how well the paint came out. A lot of elbow grease and quite a bit of Meguires.

As for your friends that live here, chances are that I know them and / or taught them. As it is a pretty small town and when you have taught here for 23 years….there is a high probability that they may have been a former student. 😁
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: New to me…3rd family….1966 Reply with quote

As for your friends that live here, chances are that I know them and / or taught them. As it is a pretty small town and when you have taught here for 23 years….there is a high probability that they may have been a former student. 😁

They are actually transplants from the Paradise Fire from a few years ago. If you have seen a 63? Double Door Kombi thats them. Smile
corro23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: New to me…3rd family….1966 Reply with quote

Curious about your 2” drop adjustable plates in the rear from Type-E Motorsports. I ordered a set. Did you go lower than the 2" drop?

64 - Next project
66 - Maintaining
---
73 Super (sold)
63, 66, 73 Super (history)
Essthreetee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: New to me…3rd family….1966 Reply with quote

corro23 wrote:
Curious about your 2” drop adjustable plates in the rear from Type-E Motorsports. I ordered a set. Did you go lower than the 2" drop?

I put the plate on at stock setting and then used the adjuster to lower a little more as well as level the car out. They worked great and I am very happy with the stance. Contact them, Brian is helpful and quick to respond.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: