Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon rear hatch replacement
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dr.vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:40 pm    Post subject: Vanagon rear hatch replacement Reply with quote

Some of you may recall that some PO sprayed expanding foam into the rear hatch of my Vanagon. That combined with a leak meant rust on the bottom lip of the van missed by me and the pre purchase inspection. Whoops.

I’m planning a temporary fix with some por15, fluid film and what not but I’ve had my eye out for a replacement rear hatch that I’ll hold on to till I’m ready to swap it.

Browsing old posts I’ve seen the following:
There are 3 main styles of rear hatch.
1980 - 1983 Small lock button, no rear wiper
1984 - 1988 Recessed large lock button, most rear wiper
1989-1991 Recessed large lock button, VW logo in center, most rear wiper

But from what I gather they are all Vanagon hatches and will fit on any Vanagon? IS THAT CORRECT? What would you say is a good deal on a rear hatch that is in good shape?

A local fb group has a 1985 rear hatch reportedly in good shape for a few hundred $ CAD (unsure of colour they will send me pics when back in town) and someone is also parting out a blue 1982 Vanagon with a rear hatch that would actually look quite good on my van which has a blue roof. Seems like either may be good options…thoughts? I know I’m only buying some time with this rust but do have bigger fish to fry with my van right now and honestly also want to enjoy it a bit and likely unveil other expensive issues before I go chasing cosmetic replacements (I realise this rust will primarily be an issue if it allows exhaust to leak into the van, which it isn’t right now). Thanks again for all your help everyone Smile always appreciated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
- rusted tailgate lip
- blue Vanagon part out
- my van

Last edited by dr.vanagon on Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear hatch replacement Reply with quote

We went through this process with our early 1983 Westy (air cooled, small lock button, no rear wiper). Bottom of the original hatch was rusted out (most likely due to the fiberglass insulation that was inside of it retaining moisture) to the point that it was more cost effective to replace it.

We found one of the 84-88 hatches at a local VW junk yard but it was missing the lock assembly. Our body and paint guy deleted the wiper and we sourced a large lock rather than trying to close the hole and installing our original lock.

The replacement hatch "fits" but even with multiple attempts at adjusting the fit it does not fit as well as the original hatch did.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear hatch replacement Reply with quote

WOW that looks like it hurt..

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear hatch replacement Reply with quote

I think you are on the right path with a replacement. I would stick as close to your ‘84 version from a donor vehicle as possible. Looks like you have stripped the interior, so hopefully you have found the worst of your rust problem. Your plight is another strong argument for a THOROUGH pre-purchase inspection prior to purchase… Rolling Eyes

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear hatch replacement Reply with quote

If your long term plan is to replace the hatch (best bet) then don't bother with the expense or trouble with the POR-15.
Just clean it as best you can, dry, use a converter like Ospho (cheap and effective) then primer and shoot with whatever exterior spray paint you have.
Wait until the paint has cured and shoot with FF.

This will be good enough for a year or three. If you plan to R&R the hatch sooner don't bother with anything at all. Smile

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: