Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Noob Question: A/T engine to M/T Engine
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
apihor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Noob Question: A/T engine to M/T Engine Reply with quote

Hey Samba,
Sorry for the noob question, but I just bought an engine that came from an Automatic squareback and I am putting it in my Manual squareback . Is there anything different between the two? is there anything I need to make it work properly?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Noob Question: A/T engine to M/T Engine Reply with quote

I don't think there is anything to change except for the flex plate/clutch swap?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
apihor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Noob Question: A/T engine to M/T Engine Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
I don't think there is anything to change except for the flex plate/clutch swap?

Awesome thanks, that is what I was wondering... I am still waiting for the engine to be shipped. I will order a new clutch.
galencurrington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Noob Question: A/T engine to M/T Engine Reply with quote

don't forget to buy a new main seal while you are at it. those motors are usually pretty nice on the thrust bearing not getting beat up from the clutch.
apihor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob Question: A/T engine to M/T Engine Reply with quote

galencurrington wrote:
don't forget to buy a new main seal while you are at it. those motors are usually pretty nice on the thrust bearing not getting beat up from the clutch.

$5 will do, might as well replace that too
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob Question: A/T engine to M/T Engine Reply with quote

Double check the end play, and you should be good.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob Question: A/T engine to M/T Engine Reply with quote

If it’s a Fuel injected engine, a few of the parts may be different for the FI system. I may be wrong but I don’t believe it’s anything significant, a kick down switch you can take off. I think the transmission to engine bolts may be different lengths
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Noob Question: A/T engine to M/T Engine Reply with quote

Are there differences between the carbs on an auto and those on a manual? I'm not saying it wouldn't work, nor that you'd need to change them, but I have a feeling there is a difference.

This funky bit on the base plate of this carb is not on all type three carbs - I believe this is a type 3 feature
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Noob Question: A/T engine to M/T Engine Reply with quote

Minor trivia: The cup to close off the cam hole in the front case face area is fitted differently at the factory, depending on whether it is for a manual or automatic.

The manual cars had the cup facing inward (the flat part faces out), as all repair manuals recommend.
The automatics had it flipped so it is concave. This way that area of the case and plug could be clearanced in cases of excessive endplay, when the flex plate could hit the case or plug there.

So the "universal" approach when rebuilding is to fit the plug concave like the automatics, since it can be used on either tranny.

Now you know.

Last edited by KTPhil on Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob Question: A/T engine to M/T Engine Reply with quote

bally wrote:
Are there differences between the carbs on an auto and those on a manual? I'm not saying it wouldn't work, nor that you'd need to change them, but I have a feeling there is a difference.

This funky bit on the base plate of this carb is not on all type three carbs - I believe this is a type 3 feature
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

But since the OP is from the USA, he's more than likely dealing with FI, or doing a carb swap.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob Question: A/T engine to M/T Engine Reply with quote

If it's FI, the automatic engines used an electric AAR; the manuals used a mechanical coil spring type. either can be fitted if the wiring is taken care of (it's there on all cars, but clipped short on manual chassis).
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob Question: A/T engine to M/T Engine Reply with quote

Good point Bob. I’d still like to know if this is a difference between auto and manual engines (I’m building an auto myself)

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Noob Question: A/T engine to M/T Engine Reply with quote

bally wrote:
Good point Bob. I’d still like to know if this is a difference between auto and manual engines (I’m building an auto myself)

Dave

The throttle linkage is different for the carburetor AT verses the fuel injection AT and it's scarce, but not critical.
I believe the springs are one thing different between them.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Noob Question: A/T engine to M/T Engine Reply with quote

bally wrote:

Dave

There's a couple of little changes, and not all are related to the engine. The big difference is the vacuum modulator, as it's set for either FI or carbs, mainly due to the vacuum signal from the engine (VW says you need to change it). On my wife's 70 Fastback, we ran it for a few years with carbs (Solex 32s), then after I gathered up the bits, I converted it back to FI (still is). I never changed the Vacuum modulator or it's setting, as it was close enough for me.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: