Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mystery wheel – ID?
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:53 am    Post subject: Mystery wheel – ID? Reply with quote

I've got this wheel that looks like a Crestline or Calpart, but the rear ring is steel. There's no branding or marks on it. Does anyone know what it is?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery wheel – ID? Reply with quote

Looks like a Cal Parts wheel based on the lip.
12/62 French 11 Window Bus

EverettB wrote:
chromies should be outlawed and thrown in the trash

Pandraggers C.C.
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery wheel – ID? Reply with quote

http://www.buggyboys.be/en/velgen_5x205_01.htm
Could be ET Rocket too, openings seem larger than Calparts.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery wheel – ID? Reply with quote

They look very similar to Enkei rims on my Ghia. Here's a photo during the resto before I had the engine in the back.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
VolksRodT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery wheel – ID? Reply with quote

Hey, Metz;
This isn't VW specific, but hope it helps.
While I can't ID the wheels' maker, it's not just the rear portion of the rim that's steel. The whole rim is steel, w/an aluminum piece either cast into the rim, or attached onto it(usually steel tabs sticking out of the spokes that were cast into the aluminum "face" & then welded to the rim.). I had some like that awhile ago, but sold them. Look closely at the front of the wheels' face & along its' side edge, you'll see the separation line between the steel rim & cast Al face. They were made by a lot of manufacturers as a cheap alternative to a genuine magnesium, or even aluminum, wheel. I don't have a list anymore, but Mickey Thompson, E.T.(I think), Fenton, U.S.Mag, Senter, & others made some wheels like this. Sold by J.C.Pennys, Sears, Honest Charlie, AutoWorld, J.C. Whitney, et-al. I would guess manufactured in the late 60's -> 70's, but the slightly sharp-edged spoke is of a later style(mid->late 60's, copying the American 5-spoke wheel, made both in Mag & Alum.), & a rounded spoke style is reminiscent of early->mid 60's real mag. Both styles used straight spokes, mostly for drum brakes, unlike the ~ mid 60's Torque Thrust D wheel that had curved spokes to clear disc brake calipers. You could also search the H.A.M.B. for some more info, if you can't find what you need here. BTW, do NOT mention these are for a VW on the HAMB, all I'd give out is wheel size, width, & b.c. size.

Marcus...
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery wheel – ID? Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input.

Very good info, Marcus, appreciate it. I guess even though they might be rare-ish now, they are not particularly sought after and therefore not worth much.

@sputnick60 - Those have an edge on the spokes, the one I have has rounded shapes.

@typ3nut - Looking at the link I found that they actually have the same picture and rim under both ET Rocket and Crestline. I think that picture is the one that looks the most similar.

@OvalinAz - Agree with Typ3nut, the openings looks slimmer.
VolksRodT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery wheel – ID? Reply with quote

Hey, Metz;

Iffen those are old ET's, they are not junk. ET made some very high quality wheels. Just because they are not sought after, nor hi-buck, doesn't mean they're crap. Worth is a very subjective thing, lots of different meaning(s) to different people. Resale, well... IDK... ??? Steel rims have some advantages over mag or aluminum. While I'm not a fan,(but I do like those) due to the weight & mostly the "thick" look to the face, iffen you like them, clean 'em & run 'em. If you like the look, & these are better than most of their ilk, they are worth beautifying. They are most likely somewhat rare, as in not many left today, so *may* be worth a real rebuild consisting of proper disassembly & separation of the center section & rim. Then either rechroming the original rim, or re-rimming w/a pre-chromed rim, current width or +/-, your choice meaning you also get to set the backspace as wanted/needed, & welding back in the center section. Can leave the center as-is, fully polished, or painted.

Can always just derust the rim as best you can, epoxy paint it, call it a day. Will work for a good long time.

So, advantages:
Good looking 5spokes.

You have them.

They don't cost the earth.

Not sought after, so less theft-prone. Although, I'd still run McGuard cloverleaf locks. Keeps the assholes sorta-honest.

Remember, the rim thickness on a steel rim is thinner, so that equates to abit more room for larger brakes, either drum(finned ? Very Happy ) or discs. Granted, no room like 18"s, but a whole lot more than a 15" wheel made in aluminum or mag, since those need much more section thickness to keep reasonable strength compared to steel.

Steel rims are stronger & can be bent/hammered back into shape after an "oops", iffen it's not too bad. Although iffen it takes out the AL center, you're SOL.

BTW, you could consider spun Al rims, but you'd have to have the AL center part welded to the rim, not the steel tabs. NBD, just need to plan & compensate for it. Also, you'd have to have the outside wheel edge done to match the steel wheel, so's the center lip will fit correctly. Or a larger rim, 16'-17" but again, the inside center drop will have to match the steel wheel to make it work, + you'll have to be very creative to get the outside rim edge contoured to work w/the 5spoke center. Lots of work... ;( .

All in all, a nice score.
Marcus...
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery wheel – ID? Reply with quote

The "first generation" AKA Fat Lip Rivieras (GT Mags) were constructed the same way- Aluminum face over steel rim.

When taking them to a tire shop- they'll need to select valve stems the seal against the inner steel band, and protrude through the aluminum skin. Not a nightmare for a competent shop- but make sure your can still get an air chuck on them!

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery wheel – ID? Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight. Very useful!

I actually only have the one. I think I bought it back in the days as a spare for my set of Crestlines. Or, at least what was sold to me as Crestlines, but these are also unmarked.

As much as I would love to run them, they don't fit by a longshot on neither my Early bay or Ghia.

Would look sweet, though.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: