Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I have seen the Allboy gas cans...familiar with Sebring?
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugpowered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: I have seen the Allboy gas cans...familiar with Sebring? Reply with quote

I picked this petro can up from a local flea market last year. I cleaned it and left it just the way I found it, of course on my shelf. I am familiar with Allboy cans and the way they look. This can is stamped Sebring on the spout cover. The can is a little wider and holds about two gallons of gas, an estimation. Does anyone know about this company?

[/img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/296982.jpg[img]

thanks for any help

Last edited by bugpowered on Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:43 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
L572
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see your picture.....It's asking for a screen name and password to login.....

L572
bugpowered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that if you go back and try it will link you to the picture. I appreciate any information you may have.

Thanks,

Martin
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the standard 10 liter version. Sebrings were what we bought in the USA. There are other names stamped into those same basic cans. Fawi, Dilo, Faun, no name, etc....All stamped into the same basic can. Made in both 5 and 10 liter versions. I am guesing one company stamped them out for all the others.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
bugpowered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information that you were able to provide. You have given me more than I could find thus far. I do have another question, you said these style gas cans were sold here in the states versus Allboy in Germany. Were these items often found in VWs as well as accessories, or was this the common design of the day?

Thanks again,

Martin
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appear to be a common thing of the day. Never seen one with a car marque name stamped in. Always some funky name. I have a few. They are around. Sometimes for big money. Sometimes not. They are not very rare or anythng like that. Neat to have.

Now there are round ones too. They fit the spare tire. I have two 5 liter ones to fit 13 inch wheels. I have seen many 7 and 8 liter ones too. Those are the VW / 356 sizes. The 7 and 8 liter ones come up frequently. It took me a few years of looking to get 5 liter ones for my 13 inch application though. The 5 liter appears to be rare. I know of only 3 or 4 other 5 liter ones but those are not important to most people.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
L572
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a look at the 5 liter variety see: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/62accessories/page22.jpg

However, I have no idea if the original VW accessory was an Allboy, Sebring or what....

L572
Suboval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugpowered wrote:
Thanks for the information that you were able to provide. You have given me more than I could find thus far. I do have another question, you said these style gas cans were sold here in the states versus Allboy in Germany. Were these items often found in VWs as well as accessories, or was this the common design of the day?

Thanks again,

Martin

Allboy was the manufacturer of the VW Accessory Jerrican (gas can) as seen in the 50's VW Accessory Booklet. The ones in 50's were blue with a silver handle/spout. The handle/spout clasp was 2 pieces. The ones in 60's were red with a silver handle/spout. The handle/spout clasp was 1 piece.
Eversure was the brand in England. On the Allboy, look at the bottom of the can. You should see 2 numbers stamped into the metal. That is the year the can was made.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Allboy was the manufacturer of the VW Accessory Jerrican (gas can) as seen in the 50's VW Accessory Booklet. The ones in 50's were blue with a silver handle/spout. The handle/spout clasp was 2 pieces. The ones in 60's were red with a silver handle/spout. The handle/spout clasp was 1 piece. Eversure was the brand in England. On the Allboy, look at the bottom of the can. You should see 2 numbers stamped into the metal. That is the year the can was made.

I can not confirm the color, but the stampings are too similiar (identical) between all the different manufacturers square cans to have been made by more than one company.

I have 3 or 4 square ones in the garage right now. I will look for the date coding on the bottom during the day.

The round ones all look the same. I can only assume them to be made by one company. But there are not any maker names I can find on them.

volksartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Allboy can is blue and silver but also has an Opel printed graphic
on it. Does anyone else have branding or just plain blue?

I guess they were marketed to many makers.

Where is the best place to carry the can in an oval?
Are they worth much?

I love the can, seals up tight, pours fine. A practical accessory.

Thanks, Volksartist
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: I have seen the Allboy gas cans...familiar with Sebring? Reply with quote

bugpowered wrote:
I picked this petro can up from a local flea market last year. I cleaned it and left it just the way I found it, of course on my shelf. I am familiar with Allboy cans and the way they look. This can is stamped Sebring on the spout cover. The can is a little wider and holds about two gallons of gas, an estimation. Does anyone know about this company?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

thanks for any help

the only help I can offer... here's the img.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tatersgravy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one I picked up for $5.00.

volkswouter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: I have seen the Allboy gas cans...familiar with Sebring? Reply with quote

I've got a 10L Allboy styled jerrycan of the Dutch brand Fabory.
Fawi is also a company name who produced Alloy styled jerrycans here in Europe.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkswouter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: I have seen the Allboy gas cans...familiar with Sebring? Reply with quote

This is my later style Allboy jerrycan branded with the letters PRIMA.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkswouter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: I have seen the Allboy gas cans...familiar with Sebring? Reply with quote

My 5L and 10L late style Sixties Allboy's next to each other.

CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: I have seen the Allboy gas cans...familiar with Sebring? Reply with quote

I wish I had a picture handy...
I had a 10 litre that looked the same, but it was marked "Dilo" and made in Czechoslovakia. It had the same hammered finish paint and was an emerald green. I find it interesting, because I see same ones stamped with different countries of manufacture. Maybe it was a common steel stamp that lots of companies in lots of countries bought to produce their own cans?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: