Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

convertible top bows
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: convertible top bows Reply with quote

My 56 came with a broken bow, the rivet was rusted up and someone tried to close it or open it too many times. Interestingly they both are broken at the same point.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is bow 2 (16) that is attached to bow 1 (14)

I have one from a later model that appears to be round and attaches to the inside rather than the outside of the other bow. (easily cut off and welded to the other side).

I guess what I am looking for is the shape, which as seen in the image above, appears to be flat but maybe rounded towards the middle.

And, to make a new one, what is the height from the rivets to the top of the bow. Any radius information would be great as well

Peter
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: convertible top bows Reply with quote

the shape seems to be quite involved as seen in this thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=260335

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: convertible top bows Reply with quote

finster wrote:
the shape seems to be quite involved as seen in this thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=260335

Great thread, but its hard to see what the actual shape of that one bow is,

In one picture it looks like the flat bar is bet in towards the inside of the car before the 90 curve and in another the flat bar appears to be straight up until the 90.

Peter
2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: convertible top bows Reply with quote

Took most of it apart yesterday to prep for painting. Hoping the wood was as nice as it looked but alas, not bad but not great.

The several thousand staples used along one narrow strip along the ridges caused wood damage. The staples rusted, increased in diameter and rotted the wood.

Going to have to fix some of that. But my son is a wonderful wood worker and we had talked about making replacement parts as needed.

I was wondering about the metal hinges. I dont want to remove them unnecessarily especially if I damage them and have to make new ones.

The one metal bow seems like a doable job, I have access to a really nice shop where I can cut steel with a CNC machine, a pedestal type bender and a forge if needed.

Do you think there is interest in new wood components or metal bows?

Peter
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: convertible top bows Reply with quote

now that I look at that sequence again I realise that it has probably had a knock (there's paint mising too) and the driver's side doesn't have the kink. by the last uncovered photo the passenger side seems to have been de-kinked.

as for wooden parts I think these are readily available from the likes of chucks
https://chucksconvertibleparts.com

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: convertible top bows Reply with quote

Peter, we’re you asking if there is a market in early Kab metal and wood components? Good luck on you fix…sounds like now just need time before you repair/ rebuild both.
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: convertible top bows Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
Peter, we’re you asking if there is a market in early Kab metal and wood components? Good luck on you fix…sounds like now just need time before you repair/ rebuild both.
Thomas

Yes, I am going to make new wood bits and its just as easy to make 2 more after you get the 1st one done correctly.

Peter
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: