Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

My initial thought on adapting the later reductions to BD spring plates will not work. The casting around tube on later reductions will not fit in the BD spring plate cutout.

So I will just use later spring plates notched for the lower swing and a spacer. The spacer will have a mounting point for the dampers.

Still hoping I will get correct reductions before needing this.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Spent the evening cleaning the caked on oil and dirt of the engine and transmission case. Not a bit of corrosion anywhere. Removed all the bushings from transmission. Oil relief piston would not come out of the block. Guess I will need to get a puller. I have always had them come out easily but this one has oil hardened to a tar like consistency.

Pulled one axel out. looks like it had new axels, fulcrum plates and side gears late in its life. They are hardly broken in. I may not pull the other axel out as they really mashed the pin well and looks like a pain to get out.

Pulled apart another 36 I had to see if the crank was better. It has a lot of ware. Haven't measured the crank yet but has good dowels so should be able to get it turned.

New manual arrived. My other Bentley didn't have split case transmission in it so picked up the proper one. I wish they had an electronic version. This will be a mess if it gets near the shop.

Next up is parts washer and then measure / inspect everything so I can make some decisions.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Pulled the front beam out today

Shift coupling screws wouldn't come out so split with grinder. Ideally I should have cut each side of the screws but rod wouldn't turn enough to get grinder into position.

I disconnected the steering at the box. Not a great spot as it was a bit of a pain to slide it back out with the jack stands in the way.

Very happy in the condition of everything. The spots I thought were rusted bad was just flake dirt. Smile

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

I hadn't noticed the choke cable clip in other build photos. The cable just clips into gap.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

The complete steering is very tight. Center pin has no detectable play. All ball joints feel like new.

Are these original ball joints?

I am going to remove the grease fitting, soak the joints to remove old grease and see if they are still tight.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Heater tube cover is in good condition considering. I should be able to find a material like this and make them.

ddutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:

New manual arrived. My other Bentley didn't have split case transmission in it so picked up the proper one. I wish they had an electronic version. This will be a mess if it gets near the shop.

Why not make pictures of the necessary pages before you start working on your bus with a tablet with screen protection, make copies or print out pictures, and use those in stead of your precious manual? Wink
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

ddutch wrote:
sgellis wrote:

Why not make pictures of the necessary pages before you start working on your bus with a tablet with screen protection, make copies or print out pictures, and use those in stead of your precious manual? Wink

Currently I take photos with my phone of what I think I will need. Usually miss something though Smile
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Installed casters on the front. These are just for moving the bus in the shop. Very easy to push around.

Put it in the corner for now. Nice not having an inconveniently located barn door in the middle of the usfull bit of the shop. Especially with cold weather coming. Smile

Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Great photo and good work!! Applause Applause Applause Applause

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Very nice !
The tie rod ends appear to be original stock. I have found a lot of them to be in good usable condition on otherwise trashed Barndoors. they may get loose after soaking, and cleaning out hardened grease and/or surface rust, but that will happen anyways with future road use. so regreasing them on the workbench certainly gives more confidence.
Why don't you just reuse the heater pipe liner material. its glassfibre and usually holds up very well.
think there are kits out there including the clamps and smaller rear sections at the 'y' tube.
imho og. BD front axles are nearly bullet proof.
the center pin for the steering arm is usually easily available NOS, I believe there currently are some in the classifieds.
take care to save the steering dampeners ( the rippled parts on the spindle king pin). these contain springs (for friction) and usually can be serviced. these may be very hard to find in case.
Love following your project !

edit: Oh I just remembered that you have added later spindles, so these dont have the friction damper parts described above!

'52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
'54 Sunroof Oval project, Lichtbeige L275
'55 Wolfsburg panel project, Taubenblau L31 all og paint
'62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
'67 1500 Käfer, Lotus weiß L282 all og paint w/red interior
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:

Why don't you just reuse the heater pipe liner material. its glassfibre and usually holds up very well.
think there are kits out there including the clamps and smaller rear sections at the 'y' tube.

Thanks

I want this bus to look new when done so the old insulating is not a great fit. I'm missing center section anyway. Figured they would be easy enough to make but hadn't noticed they were already available.

I have someone interested in the insulation for a bus that will be a better fit I believe so all good.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Had a bit of time in the shop so decided to play with the cargo door latches. They were all frozen.

I had sprayed them with oil a few times. Put a square rod in the front latch and with a wrench I slowly started rotating it left and right. Eventually the latch worked perfect. Started all the fasteners also.

Rear latch started easily but upper rod took a lot of work to get moving. Had to remove latch and tap the rod up and down. Eventually it started moving and was able to install the latch and have it work properly.

Both latches should be an easy restore. Eventually I will disassemble the front latch and plate it. The rear one looks like it was painted but maybe black oxide. (edit: rear latch is black oxide on standard) Rods are black oxide.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Tried out the parts washer tonight. Worked well.

Got the block quite clean. Pumped cleaner through the oil passages. They seem open. I will likely remove the plugs to insure it is all good in there.

Next I need to bolt it together and see if it needs boring.

Debating if I should do a Dow 7 treatment on the block and trans case. Will cost about me about $500 to do myself. Seams the chemicals are difficult to buy so would need a kit. Also quite a bit of work to do correctly as the parts should be submerged in boiling treatment. I can see the gold on both engine and transmission case and would be nice to have that look even if it doesn't last. Was looking for something easier but nothing looks worth doing.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Spent some time in the shop tonight. Started off fighting with broken off exhaust studs in my best 36 heads. I was suspenseful eventually. First time using my tig for removing broken bolts and found it works better than the mig.

After I though i would get started on the beam. 30 min later it was apart. Very happy with what I found. The bushings are all perfect. Springs are all good. Center pin bushings are perfect. All tie rod ends seam great also. Even the shocks seam good but i think new one may be a good idea Smile

I did twist off an upper shock bolt but that is a easy fix.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Disassembled the tie rods. All came apart easily except one end of the long tie rod has lefthand threads. I should have realized that before spending 20 minutes trying to turn it the wrong way. Haha

Gave them a wash and got as much grease cleaned out of them as I could. They all seam perfect. One grease fitting is damaged but luckily it is the common style.

There is no paint on the tie rod ends. Rods look like they were black oxide. My understanding is the assembled front beam was sprayed black. Is that correct? If so the tie rod ends may have had some rust protection that prevented the paint from sticking...

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Cleaning up some more parts and discovered this oddity. Someone did a very ruff job of welding the lockout plate in. Doesn't seem like a very useful mod.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Weird, I wonder if they couldn't get it installed easily when it was all loose parts so they welded it on.

I see some significant wear on the lockout part too
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Another odditie. Found a spacer on the shift lever. Looked through the parts list and don't see it anywhere. It doesn't seam the shifter would work with the lockout plate without the spacer

I am not certain the shift lever was out of this bus. I found it in the back when cleaning the bus out.

Lockout plate has some damage but I can rebuild it with a tig. I didn't realize it was hardend steel untill using the file on it. Am I correct that there shouldn't be ware on top of the lockout? Edit: nevermind. Got confused about what way was up. Smile

Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Shifter looks correct from your limited photos. I would just replace the lock out plate with a different one, they're not barndoor specific. I could be wrong, but I think they're the same up to 59, and possibly later too

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 18

Jump to: