Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

brake booster vacuum line routing
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrbell321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: brake booster vacuum line routing Reply with quote

While replacing my fuel line, I managed to break my brake booster vacuum hose(it was super brittle, I'm amazed it held vacuum to being with).

As I was pulling out the remnants, I noticed that the hose snaked from driver's side(LHD, where the hose connected to the hardline, which so far seems OK) over the transmission to the passenger side then back to the driver's side and then back again to the passenger side, turned sharply to go through the firewall where it makes another sharp turn to meet up w/ the central weber carb adapter(which requires another sharp turn.

I can't find any good documentation on where it's _supposed_ to be, but I'm pretty sure all of the current craziness isn't factory.
Some pictures seem to hint that it goes through the driver's side bulkhead, not the engine tin. I don't have a hole there, except for some wires. There's also no obvious place in the tin except maybe where a PO has routed the valve cover vent line.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Also, I do not like wire reinforced hose. Or rather, it doesn't like me. Or maybe it DOES like me so much that it insists on constantly jabbing me in the fingertips with the sharpest bits of itself for fun?

1972 Type 2 (T2) mod. 221(1)
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: brake booster vacuum line routing Reply with quote

I was wondering this as well, since I plan to add a booster to my '69 soon.
I didn't find a diagram in the Bentley, or elsewhere. Maybe a parts book might show shapes that could hint at routing?

But photos of an actual installation would be golden!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: brake booster vacuum line routing Reply with quote

Single center-mount carbs usually have a 1/2” nipple that runs to the brake booster. In the line somewhere should be a check valve, arrow pointing towards the carb.

It’s up to you how you want to run it. Some manifolds can spin 180* allowing the hose to make a more gradual yet visible turn towards the firewall. On a ‘72, you have a few options in the tin where the hose can go through, just make sure it’s protected by a grommet.

If you want more direct feedback, we’ll need pictures. Smile
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: brake booster vacuum line routing Reply with quote

different years have different arrangements. Some use plastic hose the whole way and some use a rubberized hose.
mrbell321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: brake booster vacuum line routing Reply with quote

My carb has a ~1/2" nipple and there was(and will be again) a check valve in the line.

I mean, I can go take a photo of my engine bay, but it'd be a photo showing that there is no hose and no hole for said hose. I'm sure I can also get photos of not Bigfoot not in the wilderness and not the Loch Ness monster not in Loch Ness... Very Happy

What'd would be useful, for me anyway, is a photo or diagram proving the existence of the mythical hose and hole.
...and that sounds way more provocative than it really is...

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: brake booster vacuum line routing Reply with quote

Maybe you could add the year and model of your bus to your signature line, the hole moved around over the years.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: brake booster vacuum line routing Reply with quote

Here's your factory Type 4 shown from above, with dual carbs and a later air filter. You can see the nipple passing through the tin in the top left of this photo, which was originally a power brake connection AND balance tube for the dual carbs. The 1/2" reinforced vacuum hose attached there, before connecting to the long metal chassis pipe via check valve. On later fuel-injected Type 4 buses, they put the vacuum check valve in the engine compartment to keep it out of the elements.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This STILL doesn't help you, because you don't have factory equipment. For us to give the best advice, we need to see what you have. Maybe your tin isn't stock, or the hole is used for something else…

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrbell321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: brake booster vacuum line routing Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Maybe you could add the year and model of your bus to your signature line, the hole moved around over the years.

Well Dammit, I thought it was part of my signature. It looks like I messed that up at some point.

Anyway, It's a 1972 LHD w/ 1.7L(afaik) and a weber progressive carb.

From that photo, it's hard to tell where, vertically that hole is but it looks about where someone routed the valve cover vents on mine. It's also helpful to know that it's on the tin, rather than the bulkhead area to the left of that where I thought it might be.

Thanks!

germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: brake booster vacuum line routing Reply with quote

FYI on a '72 the nipple for the brake booster vacuum supply goes through the engine cover on the right side – even though the metal pipe in the floor is on the left. '73 & '74 have the nipple on the left. The engine photo a few posts above looks to be a '74.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: brake booster vacuum line routing Reply with quote

Correct, the '72 brake hose exits and crosses the transaxle. I confused it with the 73+ auto vacuum hose which also exists on the right side, prompting the brake hose to be relocated left. The engine shown is a '73.

Valve cover venting isn't really beneficial on a Type 4, but most folks succumb to magazine ads anyway…

https://newsite.hamheads.com/2016/12/10/type-4-crankcase-breathing-system-tests-analysis/
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: brake booster vacuum line routing Reply with quote

Not to make this thread about me, but... I'll make it about me.

I am interested in photos of the hose/pipe routing along the body. Engine bay is self-evident, and of course the area right near the booster should be clear... but it's getting for the back to the front that I'm interested in.

If the factory route makes sense, I'll go with it. If not, I plan to run 1/2 copper line, bent to conform, maybe along a frame rail, with holes/rubber bushings/p-clamps, whatever makes sense. I'd just have short rubber hoses at each end, and never worry about a hose leaking or splitting. Anyone done this?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: brake booster vacuum line routing Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Not to make this thread about me, but... I'll make it about me.

I am interested in photos of the hose/pipe routing along the body. Engine bay is self-evident, and of course the area right near the booster should be clear... but it's getting for the back to the front that I'm interested in.

If the factory route makes sense, I'll go with it. If not, I plan to run 1/2 copper line, bent to conform, maybe along a frame rail, with holes/rubber bushings/p-clamps, whatever makes sense. I'd just have short rubber hoses at each end, and never worry about a hose leaking or splitting. Anyone done this?

run a painted steel line. You won't get the corrosion different metals touching brings.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: brake booster vacuum line routing Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Anyone done this?

Yes, been working fine since 1997. No corrosion to speak of on copper tubing. Flex line in engine comp.
and aft of the booster is stock 12 mm ID rubber line w/spiral spring reinforcement. I moved check
valve into flex line section behind booster.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: brake booster vacuum line routing Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
Anyone done this?

Yes, been working fine since 1997. No corrosion to speak of on copper tubing. Flex line in engine comp.
and aft of the booster is stock 12 mm ID rubber line w/spiral spring reinforcement. I moved check
valve into flex line section behind booster.

Thanks! Do you know a source of this line?
Any photos?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: brake booster vacuum line routing Reply with quote

simple fix is run a line from the front to back.

Anyone who puts dissimilar metals together and says there is no corrosion doesn't understand the science of metals.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: brake booster vacuum line routing Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

Thanks! Do you know a source of this line?
Any photos?

as far as i know, that hose has been NLA for a real long time.

i use the plain old unreinforced stuff. have for 20+ years now, never had any problems. it rots out in about 12 years just like the reinforced stuff does

in fact, my cohline distributor said they are dropping the 18mm ID and once current stock is out, it's all over

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: brake booster vacuum line routing Reply with quote

Gates makes a 12 mm ID brake booster vacuum line, but I haven't been able to find a vendor who
sells cut-to-length pieces. Rock Auto sells 50-ft rolls of it pretty cheap, maybe a good item
for a group buy. If I had my booster line to do over, I would do the entire length in something
like that Gates hose.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=99895&pt=230

sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: brake booster vacuum line routing Reply with quote

"Thanks! Do you know a source of this line?
Any photos?"

Call these guys and ask. Last time I was looking they had it.

http://mesahose1.com/MHhomepage.html
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: brake booster vacuum line routing Reply with quote

I've used this stuff in the past:

https://www.belmetric.com/smooth-high-pressure-oem...17438.html
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: brake booster vacuum line routing Reply with quote

Is the under-car routing obvious? I'd like to put it in a stock location, if possible, but I've never seen photos or a diagram.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: