Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch problems
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrob83046
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Clutch problems Reply with quote

72 Beetle. Let me see if I can explain this. I have a hard to push pedal. When I got to checking it has a 1/2" spacer between the wing nut and the arm. I took the nut off. The cable itself seems to be free and works easy not hooked up. The arm itself has the return spring on it. The arm stands straight up and down.
With the cable sticking through the hole on the couch arm the threads part on the cable is right at the hole in the arm. When I put the nut on without the spacer it goes all the way to the floor. If I put the spacer back on the adjustment is close but the pedal is hard to push. It goes in gear fine and shifts ok just hard to push.
It is almost like the cable is too long. Is there anything inside the housing that could cause this?
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch problems Reply with quote

Cable length changed through the years. Also, lots of parts are interchangeable but don't necessarily work together.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch problems Reply with quote

Measure the length of the throwout arm on the trans- later ones were longer for reduced pedal effort, and early ones were shorter. Also make sure the bowden tube is in place and has adequate sag in place. You may have too short of an arm installed.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch problems Reply with quote

The above advice is solid. I just want to add one item.

With the doors closed and the windows rolled up. Also, engine off. So, dead silent. Push the clutch pedal slowly and listen. Any sound of screaming steel? If not, carry on. If you do hear the steel screaming, get back to me.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
jrob83046
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch problems Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will check all of them I can and post what I find. I have a 70 model also. The clutch in it isn't near as hard to push in. I just went a checked a friend of mines also. He has a 69, 72 and 73 Super Beetle. They all feel about like my 70 model so I definitely have something wrong. Thanks
jrob83046
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch problems Reply with quote

I was just looking at clutch arms on ebay. The arm on mine has a round hole in it. Look's like the one for a 72 model has a diamond shape hole in it. Can't tell anything about the length of it. Is there a thread that explains the difference of the arms? I can see where if the arm is too short or the cable too long would be a problem. Still will check the stuff yall said. thanks
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch problems Reply with quote

Remember, pressure plate for a 1972 transmission would be one without a center ring. You may find that a new PP works better, and make sure you have the correct clutch cable too.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch problems Reply with quote

A quick search on CIP1 and the correct clutch cable for a '72-'74 Beetle is this one:
https://www2.cip1.com/vwc-111-721-335-c/
According to the description this cable is 2282mm long. Consider pulling the cable from your car and measuring the overall length. If it is longer than 2282mm... get a new one. How do I know you need a new one?? The longest stock Beetle clutch cable was the '72-'74 cable! All other model year Beetles cables were shorter!

If your cable is 2282mm long, try ordering one of the shorter ones from another model year.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch problems Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
A quick search on CIP1 and the correct clutch cable for a '72-'74 Beetle is this one:
https://www2.cip1.com/vwc-111-721-335-c/
According to the description this cable is 2282mm long. Consider pulling the cable from your car and measuring the overall length. If it is longer than 2282mm... get a new one. How do I know you need a new one?? The longest stock Beetle clutch cable was the '72-'74 cable! All other model year Beetles cables were shorter!

If your cable is 2282mm long, try ordering one of the shorter ones from another model year.

X2 Ashman

I installed this cable in my early 73 Super last month and it fit like a champ.
jrob83046
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch problems Reply with quote

Ordered new clutch cables for my 70 and 72. Going to look make sure I have the correct ones. I have a feeling on the 72 the motor is going to have to come out and see if anything is wrong. If I put the new correct t cable in and it works free and is adjusted right to the arm something has to be wrong inside the bell housing I think. Just don't know what. I would guess pressure plate.
jrob83046
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch problems Reply with quote

Ordered a new Bowden tube and have the correct clutch cable . Tomorrow I am going to take the nut off the clutch cable and see how easy the pedal works. I hope it is in a bind and not something inside the housing. The clutch is hard to push but it goes in gear good and shifts fine.
I am not sure if it is the right arm on the throw out bearing shaft. I believe it has a round hole in it and not the diamond shaped hole. Am I right in saying if it has the diamond shaped hole you use the wing nut and if it has the round hole you use the double nut set up? Thanks for the help.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch problems Reply with quote

jrob83046 wrote:
I am not sure if it is the right arm on the throw out bearing shaft. I believe it has a round hole in it and not the diamond shaped hole. Am I right in saying if it has the diamond shaped hole you use the wing nut and if it has the round hole you use the double nut set up? Thanks for the help.

I am under the understanding that the wingnut can be used with either, superseded the double nut. But I could be wrong....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
jrob83046
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch problems Reply with quote

I thought maybe the wiing type was to be used with the newer diamond hole shaped arm. Seems like the nut wouldn't turn with it but I don't know.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: