Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do yesterday on your buggy?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 197, 198, 199  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

MrGoodtunes wrote:
I blew out my original German brake light switch, and replaced it with a motorcycle part.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As another Samba member said, "You're never too old to learn something the hard way." Do NOT connect brake lights wire to one terminal of brake light switch while +12 volts is connected to the other terminal when there's pressure in master cylinder. (I had the pedal prop'd.)

First thought for a fix was to go with the slick pedal switch kit by Gearhead Keith. But it won't work for my buggy, 'cuz its location is where my foot needs to be in order to use accelerator pedal.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2140061

Searching Samba, I found this thread by @toxicavenger70 with a post by @sjbartnik that gave me the Harley switch idea.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9319372

Now that I have a more sensitive (i.e. quicker) brake light switch, I'ma make it even quicker by replacing incandescent bulbs with LEDs. I already have an LED, but currently only in my high center 3rd brake light, shown here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9448122
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

So here’s what I did yesterday. I put on the new front plate with a glitzy chrome frame and acorn nuts.

I trimmed off the ugly mismatched fender tips on the front of my car with a cut off wheel and then sanded them smooth with a long board-sander, so everything looks straight now.

Before the trim, I marked the ugliness with blue tape and a sharpie.

After, it’ so much straighter!

I also broke out a little brush & did touchup painting where the fiberglass was chipped here and there. I was very lucky that I didn’t make a bunch of new chips in the gelcoat as I was trimming the fiberglass, but it was not all luck. I went at it very carefully.
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Put a 1600 decal on my angle'd fan shroud, to cover an ill-placed hole drill'd by the shroud's previous owner:

Getting ready for this, last week I removed the shroud to take off my earlier hole blocker; as well as doing some other things, including a clean-up of this unexpected mess:

Angle'd shroud is much smaller than stock or even 36hp, allowing for one of the great cornerstones of owing a kitcar; namely, being able to take it appart and reassemble easily.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Still cold here in Bavaria, but after a short trip up to go ski touring, the clutch cable popped a couple strings at the pedal end, think the notes of the plink were about an A flat, but gave more air for the G String. Laughing

So pulled it all apart last week, and tried to run a new cable but couldn't get the to the tube on the far side of the tunnel ('56 long nose pedal assembly) so fish taped from the rear, of course pulling back through gets hung up on the bowden tube, so used a persuader to pop off the front end of the bowden tube, got it all through, added shortner adapter, clipped and zip tied loose end. Replacement parts on order: Oval clutch hook upgrade from classicbugparts.com (hook is wearing) machine swaged shortened clutch cable, bowden tube and wing nut...will keep those on hand until next winter so it may last more that 12 years.

Adjusted, started, shifted fine, but no drive yet, still below 45 during the day and have to go get gas, will wait a bit on that.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Over 46 years working on and driving my buggy, I finally install'd a tachometer:

Thanks @joemama for the motivation provided by one of his many interesting posts:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9885377&highlight=#9885377

The size of his Bosch tach look'd like a good fit for my application, and the ponytail of wires coming out the back of it could fit nicely into the hole in my dash instrument panel:

That hole was for reading the digital display of an AM/FM/cassette stereo unit (hidden from view of thieves) back in the 1980s. The small thermometer I've had over the hole has been moved to a different dash area, making way for tach wires. But I've always felt a kitcar should be easy to take apart and reassemble. So I set out to convert the tach's ponytail into a pigtail, by using "helping hands" to splice in an electrical connector / disconnector:

I stagger'd the splices (left) and used Shoe Goo (middle) as well as a segment of the sleeving that came with the tach (right) to protect and keep splices from shorting out:

Next, I want to splice in a connector / disconnector for turnsignal stalk wires. Plus, I feel my new tach needs a chrome trim ring (like "Spooky" had on the old Sunpro; hmm, too bad it got crusty).
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Yesterday I put the engine in my buggy project for the first time! Very Happy

FFS Have you tried to buy an 1 5/8 merged header lately? Sad

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Last time I was in the shop, I installed a couple of tunnel cover plates

Installed the shoelace that bonds the pan to the trans

Installed the cooler

and the body... temporarily.

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Unknown-VW-User
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Put in the tail lights

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Did some PRT (pushrod tube) work 'cuz two were leaking oil drops on Cyl#2&1 side:

Those two were in backwards, hoping to avoid the pushrod rub that was obvious when smaller inside diameter was at the head end. But I found clear evidence that if the small ID is at case end, then rubbing occurs there! So I switch'd the small end back to the head, clearanced the small ID, and rotated so cleanancing is in the right area (~5:00):

This fix'd both the leaks and the rubbing.

I like the jam-nut style PRTs because they fit with my primary objective of having a kitcar that is easy to take apart and reassemble. The one gold PRT (there's another one on Cyl#3&4 side) is made by Scat. It has three (yes, 3!) O-rings inside of it, along with a spring that is soo long and strong its hard to work with. That's what the hose clamps are there for, so I can use channel locks in my struggle to squeeze its way-too-strong spring (it's probably extra long so it works for long strokers). Only one of my stock PRTs has survived the 30+ years since rebuilding this engine (there's also one stock PRT left on Cyl#3&4 side). No problem avoiding rub with stock PRTs, their accordian ends allow for bending into a slight S shape.
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Creative with the hose clamps. Thumbs Up
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Skulptorchaz wrote:
Creative with the hose clamps. Thumbs Up

Thanks Chaz, buddy (tho it's pale compared to your bowden tube front adjuster). Check out this video showing a different use of dual hose clamps:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/CtqPccbPbWg
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

I roped the mechanics here at the plant to do a little welding job for me. I now have a bracket on the dash, on which to mount my monster tach! Thanks guys!

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

I rebuilt my buggy's plexiglass side windows. They had become yellow and hard to see thru.

New plexi is clear; 4 top edge bolts are now stainless, front edge is beautiful chrome (found as a leftover at an accident site).

Notch in bottom edge helps with both the closed window position and with the open gullwing position as shown in this video:

https://youtu.be/qo9mFnXgrjw
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Sway bar on the rear of a swingaxle? Everybody says NO and that's just an invitation for me to try it. I need to know why everyone says no. Tribal knowledge? Cuz the internet says so?

I'll bite. It's only a couple hours of work to put it on, and if it doesn't work, it's reversible & I'll take it off. The camber compensator doesn't fit with the Rhino case trans, so this was the remaining option.

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:
Sway bar on the rear of a swingaxle? Everybody says NO and that's just an invitation for me to try it. I need to know why everyone says no. Tribal knowledge? Cuz the internet says so?

I'll bite. It's only a couple hours of work to put it on, and if it doesn't work, it's reversible & I'll take it off. The camber compensator doesn't fit with the Rhino case trans, so this was the remaining option.

It might be a good plan on a buggy with big and little tires. You put the sway bar on the end you want to slide first. With a stock-ish Bug that is generally the front to encourage understeer, and discourage oversteer. Buggies tend to have understeer already with the small front tires and low front weight. So perhaps you want to shift toward oversteer a little.

That's a very clean undercarriage. Thumbs Up
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
slayer61 wrote:

It might be a good plan on a buggy with big and little tires. You put the sway bar on the end you want to slide first. With a stock-ish Bug that is generally the front to encourage understeer, and discourage oversteer. Buggies tend to have understeer already with the small front tires and low front weight. So perhaps you want to shift toward oversteer a little.

That's a very clean undercarriage. Thumbs Up

Thank you Sir. That's very kind of you to say! Very Happy

67rustavenger wrote:

Paul

2276 built on AS21 case
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
CB Magna spark
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Hook'd up a "Quick Start Hot Wire" on my buggy.

Before & after pics (new wire is red):

Buggy has almost always started fairly quick. But occasionally, she would crank for a full second or two. Well, I'm running a 6-volt starter for my chosen 180mm clutch and 12-volt power system. So after 1~2 sec cranking, I let the ignition key back off from start position to on position; and in that instant, the engine fires! Makes sense because upon releaving the starter motor from draining the battery, there's suddenly more battery power available for the ignition coil to provide a strong spark.

Recently, I traded some parts with Samba member @Rust Bucket 52 who gave me a 12v solenoid with an extra male spade terminal that's been missing from every solenoid I've ever had during my 47 years with this car. That terminal (VW#15a) provides a 12 volt unfused connection directly from the positive battery terminal only when the solenoid is activated (i.e. while starter is cranking).

In the following pic, I push'd back the protective sleeve so you could see this end of the red wire coming from the solenoid (shown in after pic above), using a piggyback spade connector on coil positive (VW#15) terminal:

It works great. I totally love the "click-a-vroom" sound of a quick strong start up! But I wonder. Could the same result have been achieved without the extra solenoid terminal, by connecting to the coil from the big heavy duty terminal that feeds power from solenoid to starter thru woven copper?
Murphy's Law
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

I got my adjustable beam from Scat yesterday. I am thoroughly disappointed in the quality.

Looks like I'll be removing the bearings and bushings to complete the welding on it. Three spot welds between the tubes on each side, uprights between the tubes (where vw usually rots) are welded front/rear but no weld on the top or bottom. I don't understand that. The frame head mounts are just enough off square to be noticeable and it's powder coated. Ugh. I hate to clean powder and I hate the way the steel welds afterward, too.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure it's made of substandard material. It sounds that way anyway.

The only good thing I see is that the holes for the zerk fittings are drilled much lower than stock, but I didn't see any threads inside the holes. Probably not. I'll just do the right thing and pretend not to notice.

$385 delivered from CA to NY, guess you get what you pay for. This is a dune buggy addon, it's a good thing this will not be driven a whole lot. There is a whole slew of reasons I'm not sending it back, the biggest one is Scat's recent history of "customer service". Not to mention the length of time it took for them to actually ship it.

And yes, I knew the chance I was taking in making this purchase.

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Ya'd think those Chinese kids would do a better job than that.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 197, 198, 199  Next
Jump to:
Page 198 of 199

Jump to: