Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

O Ghia's Restoration Journey
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

In all seriousness — I will not tackle things that I am likely to screw up and will bother me when I do.

For instance, our car now has a window problem introduced by the fact that the door cards are pulling on their inner support harder than the old ones did. The door cards are going to have to come off and some adjustment of them and/or the windows is going to be necessary to fix it. It seems fraught with difficulty and trail and error and scratches.

Imagonna leave it to Dwayne.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Trylon wrote:
Oh yeah, now you are Ghia-ing!

I think I'm procrastinating? I need to get door windows back in and adjusted and I think I'm unconsciously avoiding it!!
Seems like a big job with lots of opportunity for problems!! I need to be in the right frame of mind to tackle those!
Mostly wondering how I'm going to get them back in without scratching the paint on the inside top of the door?

I put my windows in before I painted the car. I don’t see how you can avoid scratching because it’s such a tight fit. Is it possible to remove and then reinstall the metal piece on the bottom of the glass?
Get the touch up paint ready otherwise.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

Mostly wondering how I'm going to get them back in without scratching the paint on the inside top of the door?

Don't worry, every scratch adds character. Smile

Thanks John,
But that's the wrong kind of character! Laughing Laughing I keep remembering that I tore it all apart in 2 days. True my car wasn't
complete but still, it doesn't go back together nearly as fast as they come apart. It is truly very rewarding though
and I look forward to every minute of it.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Unfortunately I have learned that it all is just one big learning experience— gotta take the lumps of coal with the sugar.
The good news is after you done it a few times, you will get it right the next!

Or you can hire Dwayne.

I've had plenty of oops already, but I'm determined to get these windows in without damaging the door paint.

Trylon wrote:
In all seriousness — I will not tackle things that I am likely to screw up and will bother me when I do.

For instance, our car now has a window problem introduced by the fact that the door cards are pulling on their inner support harder than the old ones did. The door cards are going to have to come off and some adjustment of them and/or the windows is going to be necessary to fix it. It seems fraught with difficulty and trail and error and scratches.

Imagonna leave it to Dwayne.

That's unfortunate about your window issue, but I'm not surprised. I expect the same when I put mine in. At least I have an original set of door panels that are hopefully going to fit perfect?? Anxious
We'll see though.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:

I put my windows in before I painted the car. I don’t see how you can avoid scratching because it’s such a tight fit. Is it possible to remove and then reinstall the metal piece on the bottom of the glass?
Get the touch up paint ready otherwise.

I've read several posts where others have separated the metal bracket from the window and then reassemble them in the door. One person said he did it by getting oil down between the rubber and the glass and carefully prying the metal to let the oil penetrate. Eventually it came out, but no pictures were posted. I'm not sure oil is the best choice, but I hope to find a good rubber lubricant when I try it. I know we can buy the rubber and the bottom bracket new so it must be possible. I'll be limited as to what I can work on this winter but this should make a good project while I'm learning to hobble around on the new hip. I plan to have the glass set up on the work bench ready to work on and hopefully I'll have some success. I'll post plenty of pictures.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:

I think I'm procrastinating? I need to get door windows back in and adjusted and I think I'm unconsciously avoiding it!!
Seems like a big job with lots of opportunity for problems!! I need to be in the right frame of mind to tackle those!
Mostly wondering how I'm going to get them back in without scratching the paint on the inside top of the door?[/quote]

Get the touch up paint ready otherwise.[/quote]

Marc, I had the same hesitancy until I decided to just go for it. I think you had posted a while back about widening the gap at the top of the doors to slip in the window channel, I had already installed my drivers side before you posted that, and no matter how much tape I put on the door edge it still got scratched. To Braukuche's point, this is what I did on the passenger side. Since I had my window lift channels zinc coated, the glass was already out. Then I put the rubber gasket in, slid the glass down inside the door, no scratching, and with a little effort and a few taps with a rubber hammer, was able to seat the glass in the pocket. Oh yeah, I think I made sure the window felt was in place, just in case.

Adjusting the glass of course took a while and I couldn't figure out why the glass wasn't touching the rubber in spots, since you have a convertible like me, take heed. After I got the top frame all adjusted properly(?) I had various gaps at different locations around the 'frame' made by the rubber gaskets/seals, I think somewhere between pages 17-20 on my build page you can see what I went through. I found factory rubber shims still attached to the old rubber, peeled that off, and used it on various sections. Where I needed more, I ground down the old rubber strips and cut to fit. The biggest and most difficult problem I had was actually realigning the rubber seals. No matter how hard I tried to adjust the glass to match, I could see the only way was to move the rubber to the glass. Drilling those holes into the frame was NOT easy and I broke a number of bits. If you have to do this, buy the best bits you can find and go easy. I had to use a punch or strong pliers to get the broken bits out, or had to leave small pieces in place if not.

It can be an arduous process, but since you work with tiny parts and adjusting violins, you have to just use your patience and skill with monotonous Ghia adjustments. Sorry for the long answer, just wanted to give more detail what I went through. It was a process, but I got things pretty lined up to hopefully(?) stop any leaks.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:

Marc, I had the same hesitancy until I decided to just go for it. I think you had posted a while back about widening the gap at the top of the doors to slip in the window channel, I had already installed my drivers side before you posted that, and no matter how much tape I put on the door edge it still got scratched. To Braukuche's point, this is what I did on the passenger side. Since I had my window lift channels zinc coated, the glass was already out. Then I put the rubber gasket in, slid the glass down inside the door, no scratching, and with a little effort and a few taps with a rubber hammer, was able to seat the glass in the pocket. Oh yeah, I think I made sure the window felt was in place, just in case.

Adjusting the glass of course took a while and I couldn't figure out why the glass wasn't touching the rubber in spots, since you have a convertible like me, take heed. After I got the top frame all adjusted properly(?) I had various gaps at different locations around the 'frame' made by the rubber gaskets/seals, I think somewhere between pages 17-20 on my build page you can see what I went through. I found factory rubber shims still attached to the old rubber, peeled that off, and used it on various sections. Where I needed more, I ground down the old rubber strips and cut to fit. The biggest and most difficult problem I had was actually realigning the rubber seals. No matter how hard I tried to adjust the glass to match, I could see the only way was to move the rubber to the glass. Drilling those holes into the frame was NOT easy and I broke a number of bits. If you have to do this, buy the best bits you can find and go easy. I had to use a punch or strong pliers to get the broken bits out, or had to leave small pieces in place if not.

It can be an arduous process, but since you work with tiny parts and adjusting violins, you have to just use your patience and skill with monotonous Ghia adjustments. Sorry for the long answer, just wanted to give more detail what I went through. It was a process, but I got things pretty lined up to hopefully(?) stop any leaks.
Jeff

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I keep up with your thread and I read your experience several times over in order to try to figure out how I wanted to approach it. Initially, I planned to just slide them back in but the bottom plates are rusty and even though they're not terrible, they really need to be removed and cleaned up so I'm going to do it right and take them apart. Then I'll assemble them inside the doors.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Silicone spray is a really good lubricant for rubber not sure how well it penetrates though.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Silicone spray is a really good lubricant for rubber not sure how well it penetrates though.

That sounds like a good idea and I have plenty of it so I'll give it a try when the time comes. Thank you.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
rbsurfguy wrote:

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I keep up with your thread and I read your experience several times over in order to try to figure out how I wanted to approach it. Initially, I planned to just slide them back in but the bottom plates are rusty and even though they're not terrible, they really need to be removed and cleaned up so I'm going to do it right and take them apart. Then I'll assemble them inside the doors.

I just happen to be looking at parts on eBay, which I never do, but I was hoping to find correct rear bumper brackets and happened on to these beautiful "Door Glass Regulator Lift Channels". I don't know if that is actually the correct name for them, but who cares. I'm amazed at the condition. they even came with all the original mounting hardware.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've not seen any originals with hardly no rust like this?? The ad said they came from a 74. When they arrived, I was surprised to see that the original glass had been busted out and I had to remove the crumbled remains. I think the price was quite reasonable at $29 each plus $12 for shipping.

One of the rubber liners is usable, the other one has a little damage but might be reusable.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Good find Marc, and yes they actually look good. I've seen vendors on here selling worse condition for like $50 each. I call them Lift Channels as well, I think it's pretty common.

Excellent find!
Jeff

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
mxl556
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

As far as lubricant for rubber, dish soap might be a good option. It is commonly used for rubber suspension bushings that are pressed in and works very well as it does not soften/damage rubber (like some petroleum products). Also, when it dries it is no longer slippery which is critical for suspension bushings to keep them from rotating, etc.

Max
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Good find Marc, and yes they actually look good. I've seen vendors on here selling worse condition for like $50 each. I call them Lift Channels as well, I think it's pretty common.

Excellent find!
Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I wasn't planning to replace the ones I have but just couldn't pass these up. I'm going to steel wool the minor surface rust but then was wondering if I should apply something to keep them from rusting? I don't want to do anything like paint them as I want them to stay original, but maybe a light film of oil??

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

mxl556 wrote:
As far as lubricant for rubber, dish soap might be a good option. It is commonly used for rubber suspension bushings that are pressed in and works very well as it does not soften/damage rubber (like some petroleum products). Also, when it dries it is no longer slippery which is critical for suspension bushings to keep them from rotating, etc.

Max

Thanks Max,
I will definitely try the dish soap as it is a very tight fit. I was quite a job just to remove the shattered glass that was still in place.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Marc, As you know, I had mine zinc plated, then I sprayed the inside lower doors and mechanisms with fluid film, same stuff I am spraying inside the rockers and elsewhere to keep stuff from rusting. On the tooth gear and lift rail(?) I put a thin swipe of molybdenum grease to keep those lubed and free of rust. It seems no matter how hard you try to seal the windows, water will still get inside the doors, hence the drain holes at the bottom, I just thought I would give it a little extra protection. Here is the Fluid Film I bought, the extended nozzle lets you get in all the hard to reach areas: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CJWV273/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Jeff

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Thanks for the reminder Jeff. I'm going to go back and review your thread about the this area. Yup, I know, there's always going to be some water that can get through although I don't plan to drive this car in the rain so it shouldn't be too bad. I still want to protect everything I can like you said.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

mxl556
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Fluid film works very well as a protectant and lubricant, but I would be careful as it softens some rubber/foam padding and more importantly dissolves cosmoline. I avoid using it on old german cars that have factory cosmoline applied, Ghia does not have that so it should be fine. It also makes a huge mess as it gets dirty and gets everywhere.
That being said, it is an amazing rust protectant. I have been using it on my Toyota Tacoma's frame/undercarriage for about 6 years with great success, especially considering how rust prone these truck frames are. I also use it on the lawnmower deck as it keeps grass from sticking and rust away.

And no, I do not sell it Smile

Max
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

I agree, fluid film is great stuff. I have my daily drivers sprayed once every 3 or 4 years. I have an 8 year old car that has been through 8 Vermont winters and no rust problems what so ever. However I don't plan to spray the Karmann Ghia, at lest not in that way.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Today I went out for one last short drive with OGhia and then parked her for the winter.

I can't believe it's been 2 years since the car arrived from CA with only "1" mile on the rebuilt VDO odometer. I managed to put 34 more miles on the car recently. So far the engine is now running strong and smooth, thanks to Tim working his magic with the carburetor. It Idles as it should and being it's Vermont, I was even able to see how it does in "very" cold weather - 25 degrees here this morning and 38 out when I started the car. Shifting is great. I couldn't be more pleased with it. Next project will be getting the glass and all the rest of the door hardware on but that will likely be in the spring.

A few weeks ago, I went back to John's Car Corner hoping to find a correct set of rear bumper brackets but no luck. These seem surprisingly hard to find, or at least find at a reasonable price. I have a set coming that is pretty crusty, so they'll need some work. It wasn't a wasted trip though, I came home with a part I've been hunting for for over a year, the rear tow hook. I'm not sure what years had them, but 71 is the last year for this tow hook. Surprising how many 71's I see online that don't have them though. This one came off of the 71 vert that John is parting out. I would have bought it sooner, but since it was not on the car, I assumed it was long gone. Turns out he had removed it soon after the car arrived and had it stashed away.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

overboost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:

It wasn't a wasted trip though, I came home with a part I've been hunting for for over a year, the rear tow hook. I'm not sure what years had them, but 71 is the last year for this tow hook. Surprising how many 71's I see online that don't have them though. This one came off of the 71 vert that John is parting out. I would have bought it sooner, but since it was not on the car, I assumed it was long gone. Turns out he had removed it soon after the car arrived and had it stashed away.

I really want one of those. Jealous... Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 37 of 47

Jump to: