Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Idler Arm Bushings removal - No Press? Try This
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Idler Arm Bushings removal - No Press? Try This Reply with quote

I have been scourging the network here to find someone with a shop press to press out the idler arm bearing on my 1971 Super.
Nada!
Didn't even WANT to try a machine shop, I've seen the stories, but I also saw a post where a person used "A BFH" Wink to press it out..
Well, what did I have ta' loose right?
So, after I'd cleaned up the base itself...

I scrounged up 2 sockets (Harbor Freight- Pittsburg brand) and a bar of 1/2" steel for use as a "socket extender"
Even found a few "BFH's."

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I put the base in the vise-There's a neat little ledge in the base built in that fit my vise perfectly..
I used the smaller socket (15/16th inch Impact) to push out the rubber part first.
The "BFH" really made the difference. Mine was a 3 pounder... Bada bing!

Then the 1 and 1/16th inch socket to push out the metal part! I used the 4" piece of 1/2" square stock to extend my reach of the socket as she went below the rim of the base, but it was smooooth!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had to move the base a little as the metal portion of the bushing started to contact the bottom of my vise but that was easy-peasy.

So one more job done! Now to clean up the inside portion and get the new bronze bushing in.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: