Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Intake Manifold
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:
To put a DCN or DCNF on that manifold you will need a tapered spacer because the butterflies will hit the manifold
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am waiting for some parts to rebuild a 40mm DCNF to bolt on to my stock 1600. A dcn also has a 3 bolt foot.

eQ

Yeah i did learn that one already .lol
popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

these are the block numbers if anybody care can figure them out please ?

Guess this could be the first step to see if its a 1500 or 1600.

Well that picture sucked.lol numbers are 7163003 plus a H5

Last edited by popeye613 on Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

I have to to assume the tachometer is not working right.

Your intake manifold looks very skinny. Might be a 1300 manifold.
It is very hard to eyeball it from a picture, so I could be wrong, but it's worth looking at. Measure the size of the tubes or look at the part number on it. Also worth looking under the valve cover to see the casting # on the heads.
should be 311-101-373 for 1500/1600 heads

Most 1500 engines become 1600 when the cylinders are replaced.
1500 size cylinders are no longer available.

The case number tells you what it was, but does not tell you what it is now.
popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

You maybe correct on the manifold cause its pretty dam small.

I thought the same on the tack not working correct. but while shifting from 1st thru 3rd it will go up to 3 grand or higher before i shift. but soon as i grab 4th it drops to 2100 rpm .
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

even if you had the tallest gearing combination of factory trans ratios,
3.88 final drive from a ghia and a .77 fourth from a bus...... and a 25" tall tire, 2100 rpm would still only be 52mph

So we could assume the transmission has aftermarket ratios?
3.44 ring and pinion, and a .77 fourth, and a 26" tall tire THEN you would be there. But I doubt the ENGINE would be able to accelerate in fourth gear at all. You would hit top speed in third

It is POSSIBLE it's just not likely, maybe you and your tach are calibraed for 6cyl diesels. Razz
popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

Tires are 205/14's 25.5 tall and the gear ratio I have no freaking clue. 4th gear as you stated while on the highway has hardly any pick up except going down hill. My left foot will fall asleep from holding to the floor board on a long ride.

tack has a recalibrate button on back side which I have messed with but no change .

I do like diesel comment.lol
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

Yes we have all agreed that something is screwy with the tach. No point going down that road again.

I have often wondered how much extra drag tops create on a Buggy. It must be like dragging a bloody big parachute down the highway. It would be interesting to take it off and see what the difference is.

As for a carb change to add power... ya - but - no not really. Three or four more HP is not going to do what you need and all the related drivability issues that will crop up until it is sorted out will hardly be worth it. You have 3 choices in my opinion, 1) a complete re-engineer of that engine - big change in displacement, cam, heads, ignition, intake/carb/EFI, and exhaust. 2) turbo and proper controls for what you have. 3) an engine transplant from something altogether different.

The first option is the most expensive by far.

Dinking around with different carbs on that engine as is will keep you busy but little else of real value will be accomplished. This is not meant as a negative response, just a real life view from past experiance.
popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

Man your probably 100% right about the top. With zero side windows all that air is going to back glass. Trust me when grandkids are riding in the back seat its 1 windy ride cause they do complain. lol
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

Just go with a 1904cc and dual 40s..and Topless!
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Notice the position of the gas gauge relative to the speedo needle? Yup they are directly connected! Very Happy

YDBD wrote:

Just go with a 1904cc and dual 40s..and Topless!

Last edited by oprn on Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

Another advantage of no roof is the rear passengers will be warmer on a cool day/evening from the warm engine air that is pulled up from the rear by the vacuum the windshield creates. I measured it at 10* higher than ambient on ours. And they need to tie down their hair as it blows forward into their eyes.

This is with a 1911 and Webers. I have a time delay built into my gas gauge! You should look into that YDBD. Wink

And a little known secret... yellow is faster... Shhh - keep it to yourself!

popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

Well went and bought a good timing light with rpm/advance on it today. Will see if the rpm tach is a piece of shit .
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

I agree. Yellow is faster Laughing
A friend of mine sports a yellow buggy too with a nippy 2056 T4. Peaks at 110 mph. I think we have photo of the gps reading somewhere
Cool
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

I ran this with a 44 IDF on a 2110 Street Legal Sand Rail in Va. In winters just took the average of warm up as normal and the car ran fine. Check out the info. RB

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Deluxe-Centermount-Intake-Manifold-Kit-Weber-IDF-p/99004.315.htm
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

I still have some serious doubts about adding all that carb to a stock cam single port 1500 guys! My gut feeling is that it would add far more tuning/drivability problems than any resulting small power gain would be worth.

I bought a rolled Westy for $350, used the engine for a core, spent just over $2000 to freshen it up including stock heads from Brothers, Web cam and a set of good used Webers from a reputable guy here on the Samba. The result while not exactly mind numbing is all the power I need to run in modern highway traffic.

I could have had the same results out of a refresh on the 1600 DP with a little turbo limited to 6 psi boost for a similar dollar.
popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

finally did a compression check today( 92-100psi on all 4 ). Hooked up timing light with rpm reading @1050. Rev'd motor up to 3,000 rpm watching dash tack,timing light was @ 4500-4600 . guess what got smashed with a hammer ? time to buy another tach.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

Oh ya! We saw that coming... Nice, that sounds right in line now. You are a bit on the low side for compression but a t least it is even. At this point I would keep track of oil consumption fairly closely. If it is excessive then time for a refresh. It should still run ok at that though.
popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

Did a oil change back in spring and i have not added oil since. Also i check the level dam near everytime before i drive it.

Now tell me more about turbo setup please ? Very Happy
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

I ran a bug spray on a 1600 dp on a manifold like the back in the 70s it did ok and there wasn't much choice then you could get a zenith but they were alot of money now days there are better choice's.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Intake Manifold Reply with quote

popeye613 wrote:
Did a oil change back in spring and i have not added oil since. Also i check the level dam near everytime before i drive it.

Now tell me more about turbo setup please ? Very Happy

I probably should not have mentioned it because this subject usually causes a fire storm of widely differing opinions. All of the turbo kits available to my knowledge in North America today for our engines are geared to large displacement huge HP engines. Most of the guys that respond will also be of the same mind. In that school of thought adding a turbo means lots of complication and a huge cash influx.

However if one is content to do a MILD turbo on our engines it need not be that way. A few pounds boost on a stock engine does far more to add power than anything else you can do and comes with little by way of changes needed. The only kit I am aware of that is oriented this way is one from Brazil that has a thread elsewhere on this site. I have not bought and used that one but it looks like very good value for the dollar to me. My experiance comes from the days of the Rajay kit of the '70s which was just that sort of application and worked well.

The other alternative takes some fabrication skills. Find a factory turbo car at the wreckers with a very similar displacement and buy the turbo from it, providing of course it is in good condition. Then adapt the exhaust, intake and oiling system on your engine to fit. It will take some research and time but it can be done very inexpensively and if the boost levels are kept below 6 or at the most, 8 psi, get the timing and mixture right, the kick in the pants is pretty impressive and there is very little risk to the wellbeing of the engine. A 30 to 50% increase in power is normal in that boost range. Above that it gets much more complicated.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: