Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vintage Speed - Reputable? - UPDATE - Be Warned
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Vintage Speed - Reputable? - UPDATE - Be Warned Reply with quote

Does anyone buy from vintage speed?
It seems they are not located in the US.
Are they legit?
They have some real nice stuff.
I’m interested in the Kadron air filters they sell. Pricey but with built in stacks they seem like a must have.😊
UPDATE:
But...
First they are hard to get straight answers out of regarding some of thier products and very dodgey with answers forthcoming.
Second they list thier air filter assemblies which I might add come at a very premium price to be supplied with a stainless mesh ( only after asking a couple times) The website lists a K&N filter which also fits their units. After exhaustive chatbot interference the answered me straight out twice that they will in fact fit even after receiving them and seeing they clearly do not.
The velocity stack has to be machined down about 1/4" on the outside to make this at best a snug fit.
So now it's off to the machine shop for me.
400 Bucks for a pair of air filter I guess it's extra if you want them to filter air.

Last edited by Bug53 on Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:51 pm; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed - Reputable? Nice stuff. Reply with quote

I've purchased 2 of their mufflers.... nice stuff.

They're in Taiwan and legit.

Here's their feedback topic:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=347416&highlight=vintage+speed

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed - Reputable? Nice stuff. Reply with quote

love there shifters and the hood standoffs
flat4olsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed - Reputable? Nice stuff. Reply with quote

They do nice stuff. Love my shifter!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed - Reputable? Nice stuff. Reply with quote

I really like the muffler I bought from them, very thoughtful built-in adjustments to get it perfect. A little on the loud side but not too bad. Sounds great, fits well.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed - Reputable? Nice stuff. Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
I really like the muffler I bought from them, very thoughtful built-in adjustments to get it perfect. A little on the loud side but not too bad. Sounds great, fits well.

I have that same muffler from them. I wondered if after a while when the insides of the muffler got carboned up, if it would quiet down? Seems like it has a bit after 3k miles. I also had to wrap the #2 and #4 primaries with more header insulation as they were throwing off too much heat.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
propguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed - Reputable? Nice stuff. Reply with quote

I have classic shifters in both of my bugs - they are great. Well built and very smooth shifts.
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed - Reputable? Nice stuff. Reply with quote

I purchased the air cleaners in beautiful brushed stainless for my Kadrons
They are well made and very nice.
Looking at the filter media they provide it is a very fine stainless mesh which is encapsulated by the stainless screen on the outside.
However, when you hold it up to the light you can see right through it so needless to say fine dust will get right through.
They list a K&N element which I ordered and they are physically thicker so they don’t fit without grinding some material ( about 1/4”) off the stacks on on side.
I asked twice if this was going to be a problem and they told me no both times now they asked for a photo and have ghosted me.
Waiting three days for a reply.
So with that said the product they manufacture is nice but communications and customer service is worse than ass gas.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed - Reputable? Nice stuff. Reply with quote

what are the dimensions of the filter housings?

I wouldn't mind a look at them. I wonder if you could find an OEM filter of some sort to fit.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed - Reputable? Nice stuff. Reply with quote

I’ll take some pics with a ruler.
Very nicely made.

Glenn , pics emailed
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed - Reputable? Nice stuff. Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I've purchased 2 of their mufflers.... nice stuff.

They're in Taiwan and legit.

Here's their feedback topic:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=347416&highlight=vintage+speed

Love the looks of the mufflers but won't chance another purchase.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed - Reputable? - UPDATE - Be Warned Reply with quote

I emailed questions a couple times and got quick responses, didn't use the chat thing. I have two pairs of their 40IDF version air cleaners. I never tried K&N filters in them though, I didn't want to lose the mesh look. I LOVE their center mount ac compressor bracket, so much so that I bought a second one just to have a spare. I also bought their excellent VW Thing specific muffler, which I received two days after ordering it. Taiwan to Illinois in two days, blows my mind.

Oh, and and the fancy oil filler with draft tube, and several shifters...

Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed - Reputable? - UPDATE - Be Warned Reply with quote

KAmes wrote:
I emailed questions a couple times and got quick responses, didn't use the chat thing. I have two pairs of their 40IDF version air cleaners. I never tried K&N filters in them though, I didn't want to lose the mesh look. I LOVE their center mount ac compressor bracket, so much so that I bought a second one just to have a spare. I also bought their excellent VW Thing specific muffler, which I received two days after ordering it. Taiwan to Illinois in two days, blows my mind.

Oh, and and the fancy oil filler with draft tube, and several shifters...

The K&N filters are supposed to fit inside the mesh.
They will but the stack has to be machined flat on the edge adjacent to the outer mounting screw.
I suspected a fit problem and was told twice it would be no problem.
Now they agree, it must be machined.
I asked if the expected me to have it done then they told me to return for a refund.
My final decision was to have it done as I can’t trust returning them ( and them agreeing they are in perfect condition) after given the chance to be truthful twice and getting lies both times.
I would still like to get an exhaust system but getting answers from them is like a game. It’s all yes yes yes.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed - Reputable? - UPDATE - Be Warned Reply with quote

I remember when I got them wondering if the K&Ns would really fit, I don't have the velocity stacks in mine but it still looks awfully tight between the mounting screws. Sounds like you caught them in having some insufficient product testing. I didn't realize it was supposed to fit inside the mesh, if you get yours to work I would love to see a picture.
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed - Reputable? - UPDATE - Be Warned Reply with quote

It will work.
Just more hobby time.
I tried without the mesh and it looks like a pregnant K&N filter.

Top photo stainless mesh “non-filters”
Middle photo with K&N
Bottom photo is an idea of clearance which barely fits the stainless crap.

The exact question I asked was if they would fit under there.
I was told yes.

AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed - Reputable? - UPDATE - Be Warned Reply with quote

Just playing devil's advocate, as it were......

and if I'm understanding/interpreting the ad and your issue properly, this should have been an assumed risk by you as the buyer (that you may have to do some machine work to make it all fit together)

From the ad:

"If running with Stacks, then it might need slightly modification when install this filter set."
"Ad last edited: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:54 pm"
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=637789

Again, just trying to help and maybe I've misunderstood you and am wrong. Sounds like you are saying the filter has a built in stack, but the ad doesn't mention this?
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed - Reputable? - UPDATE - Be Warned Reply with quote

I've heard the same thing regarding the K&N filters, you meed to do a little work on it. Nothing a little Dremel time wouldn't fix.

Personally, Ive had nothing but positive experiences with not only their products but their service. I had bought one of their fancy oil fillers. I had this about a year before finally trying to install it. It installed without a problem however the draft tube had a little more angle than I liked [I'm picky], I reached out to Ming [the owner] and he took it back with no questions. I have since bought his linkage for my car and a shifter for the wife's nus. Both are beautifully crafted and work great.

To help with future purchases, call Ron Lummus Racing [https://ronlummusracing.com/]. They are the US distributor of Vintage Speed. In the future I'm sure Ron would be able to help you out with any product issues.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed - Reputable? - UPDATE - Be Warned Reply with quote

Five minute fix with a grinder, clean up with a file, blend with sandpaper. It's the nature of aftermarket parts. None are perfect, unless you or someone else makes them so Smile

jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed - Reputable? - UPDATE - Be Warned Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
It's the nature of aftermarket parts. None are perfect

To be fair, their product as well as most of the stuff they produce is very well made. The issue is using the K&N filter. The OP is choosing the K&N filter over the supplied element because it's finer. It's possible the variance may be with K&N. Maybe their filter has slightly changed from what was original tested during teh Vintage Speed R&D.

If anything, it would be in Vintage Speed's best interest to remove the K&N recommendation.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: