Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 415, 416, 417 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Calibrated a Mexican Fuel Sending Unit to an original VDO sending unit.
Tank reading much more accurate now.
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I uninstalled my 73 Super fresh air fan. The mounting tabs all crumbled off, and when I took it apart half the locking tabs on the fan housing disintegrated. I was able to get it cleaned and lubed and reassembled, though duct tape was involved Smile It runs great now though.

OK. Then I took a 1 3/4" foil air hose, and using a toilet paper tube as an inner sleeve connector, hooked it up to the drivers side defrost tube coming from the heater channel. It worked perfect. I cut the other end of the tube off at an angle and duct tapped it to the air inlet on the fan.

IT WORKED! I now have lukewarm air blasting on the windshield!

Next steps: Order air hose to connect to the passenger side. Make a "Y" connector. Drill a hole in my fresh air box to run the hose through. then I'll make a duct tape and cardboard air collector that will connect the hose to the fan inlet with no leaks. I'll post photos when I get it finished.

Also, I need to get my flaps and thermostat installed. I have everything I need. It will make the heat hotter.

So ya, heat and defrosters . Who wudda thunk!
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Fabricated faceplate to install gauges in radio slot - in progress.
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

OTTO 1303 wrote:

Here's one I made -

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Jimbug57 wrote:
OTTO 1303 wrote:

Here's one I made -

Nice setup and multifunctional.
My layout is gauges only, will post when completed.
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Jimbug57 wrote:
OTTO 1303 wrote:

Here's one I made -

What did you use to make it? Is it plastic?
Beetle Bums VW Club Member
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Beetlebaum wrote:

What did you use to make it? Is it plastic?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JMHGSRP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Completed installation of gauges in radio slot

Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

OTTO 1303 wrote:

Very nice!
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

OTTO 1303 wrote:

Clean!

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

OTTO 1303 wrote:

Very nice. I often think of doing this but then I'd have to figure out where to put the radio. Hard to do on a '73 Super w/out butchering the dash or adding a large center console. I'm very dependent on the bluetooth for Waze, Pandora, and the phone, occasionally FM/AM radio.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Yeah, I often think of pulling the radio to put the gauges up there, but I use the bluetooth to connect to my phone for calls and music too much. It's very convenient to simply press next or turn the volume dial on the radio rather than fumbling with the phone. I keep all my music on an SD card in my phone since I cannot stand commercials so I've often considered just running an amplifier and a preamp/bluetooth module instead. Confused

Currently I have a triple pod that is under the dash, easily seen at a glance from the driver's seat-

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I think the triple pod is going to be my solution. How did you mount it w/out destroying the dash?

Don't want to hijack this thread, you can PM me if you prefer. Don't want to upset the samba gods!!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
I think the triple pod is going to be my solution. How did you mount it w/out destroying the dash?

Don't want to hijack this thread, you can PM me if you prefer. Don't want to upset the samba gods!!

I’ll post a thread in the forum, it was completely non-destructive, as intended.
My intention is to install radio near fuse panel, but that is a later project.

To return this thread to its purpose, I will be tuning my 34-3 after a thorough cleaning and take it for a spin to get a dynamic reading from the gauges.

Thanks for the compliments
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:

Check it out part of the way down this page-
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=180

Easy really Cool

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Today I did the two inner tie rod ends on my 1971 Super. First I measured the tread-to-tread distance of the front tires, to aid in final toe alignment. Next was to get my safety glasses, important for this job under the vehicle. I put the front up on jack stands, left the wheels on.

The inner tie rod end locknuts on these required a 22mm open end wrench. The right inner tie rod end was straightforward, used my little OEM #25297 tie rod puller tool https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-t...lsrc=aw.ds

The left inner tie rod end required for me to remove the steering damper to get access to use the puller. I marked each tie rod end with a paint pen so I could approximate/transfer length to the new inner tie rod ends. Each new tie rod end (O'Reilly lifetime) came with a grease fitting I had to screw in. Installation of the new tie rod ends was straightforward. I used my grease gun to pump each full of grease, good thing I have a flexible tube on my grease gun; would not be a dumb idea to get a replacement angled grease fitting for these to make greasing easier.

Anyway, replaced the steering damper, loosened the clamps for the outer tie rods, and lowered the Super to the ground. I adjusted the toe by rotating the tie rod ends on each side to get correct measurement, then double-checked and tightened the tie rod clamps at both ends.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Today I did the two inner tie rod ends on my 1971 Super. First I measured the tread-to-tread distance of the front tires, to aid in final toe alignment. Next was to get my safety glasses, important for this job under the vehicle. I put the front up on jack stands, left the wheels on.

The inner tie rod end locknuts on these required a 22mm open end wrench. The right inner tie rod end was straightforward, used my little OEM #25297 tie rod puller tool https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-t...lsrc=aw.ds

The left inner tie rod end required for me to remove the steering damper to get access to use the puller. I marked each tie rod end with a paint pen so I could approximate/transfer length to the new inner tie rod ends. Each new tie rod end (O'Reilly lifetime) came with a grease fitting I had to screw in. Installation of the new tie rod ends was straightforward. I used my grease gun to pump each full of grease, good thing I have a flexible tube on my grease gun; would not be a dumb idea to get a replacement angled grease fitting for these to make greasing easier.

Anyway, replaced the steering damper, loosened the clamps for the outer tie rods, and lowered the Super to the ground. I adjusted the toe by rotating the tie rod ends on each side to get correct measurement, then double-checked and tightened the tie rod clamps at both ends.

Cusser, you make it sound easy...! I don't think I would have enough room with my super on the ground to be able to maneuver the wrenches and such.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Cusser, you make it sound easy...! I don't think I would have enough room with my super on the ground to be able to maneuver the wrenches and such.

I loosened the clamps on the outer tie rod ends (13mm socket and 13mm box wrench), already had the inner adjusting nut loose, THEN lowered it and rotated the two tie rods about the same amount to adjust the toe, and to keep the steering wheel centered. Yes, I was able to tighten the tie rod clamps after the adjustment while the Super was on the ground.

After a ride, I re-checked the toe.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Dropped engine to thoroughly clean 47 Years of grime.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Not so much what I did to it today as what i'm going to do when I install this puppy. Shockingly, my wife finally figured out one of the *other* things that brings me joy and got me this for my B-day!! She said watching my reaction reminded her of getting a Barbie doll as a little girl. Not my screaming like a girl but the pure happiness! Very Happy Oh and the baseball sticker if from the bag of Crackerjacks that accompanied the shifter! Perfect!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 415, 416, 417 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 416 of 449

Jump to: