Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reinstalling the rearview mirror
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenXer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reinstalling the rearview mirror Reply with quote

I think this is a somewhat common problem. At least I've seen a few EVs with it. I have tried to reinstall it with now two failed attempts. It looks like the previous owner had a couple of failed attempts as well. I was able to find a great video by a guy named Joe Pelayo on youtube. I bought the exact same product, Permatex Extreme rearview mirror adhesive. Followed the instructions and mimic'd exactly what he did. The results were completely different. In his video, the rearview mirror sticks to the glass within seconds and within an hour, he has it reattached. In my attempt, the Permatex never set even after a few minutes of holding it. I don't know if I got a bad batch or what. I cleaned the window and the button, applied the applicator to the glass and the button, added the adhesive exactly as it showed in the video and nada. Here is Pelayo's video for reference. I'm not sure if he is a member here. So of course the question is, has anyone successfully reattached the rearview mirror and if so, what method/product did they use?

Thanks,

Link
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Reinstalling the rearview mirror Reply with quote

I successfully reattached the button to the windshield. I forget what I used, but it was just off the shelf at the local auto parts store. Likely permatex. As expected, I needed to clean the surfaces really well. I recall holding it all to the glass for a minute or two, and it stuck fine. Then I left it overnight before try to test it with van vibrations. I attached the button with the mirror attached as well, since I couldn’t separate them. I ended up replacing the glass a year later and it was still stuck on very well.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GenXer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Reinstalling the rearview mirror Reply with quote

Joshwa wrote:
I successfully reattached the button to the windshield. I forget what I used, but it was just off the shelf at the local auto parts store. Likely permatex. As expected, I needed to clean the surfaces really well. I recall holding it all to the glass for a minute or two, and it stuck fine. Then I left it overnight before try to test it with van vibrations. I attached the button with the mirror attached as well, since I couldn’t separate them. I ended up replacing the glass a year later and it was still stuck on very well.

Thanks, one thing I thought about is that the install temp had a max temp of 75 degrees. I’m in Central FL so it was probably low 80s.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GenXer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Reinstalling the rearview mirror Reply with quote

I wanted to update my thread. I finally got the rearview mirror installed on what I think was my fifth try. I tried two times with the Permatex that I bought, I then bought the JB Weld rearview mirror kit and still didn't have any luck. A couple of days ago, I was with my wife in Michael's craft store. I just happened to see that JB Weld had a product called Superweld Extreme. It worked on metal and glass so I figured that maybe it would do the job. After cleaning the glass, I installed the button. Within a few seconds, it was already starting to hold. It said to hold for a minute but I went about a minute and a half to two minutes. At that point, it seemed like it was on there. The instructions then said to wait 24 hours before it was fully set. I waited the 24 hours and installed the rearview mirror. It snapped on and the button didn't budge. My only concern now is whether there is an overall max temp before the glue melts. I'm in Central FL and about to enter summer. I guess if it's still holding by September then it did its job.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Reinstalling the rearview mirror Reply with quote

For anybody else who stumble across this thread, save yourself the headache and get Loctite 312 with 736 primer. If you've ever had a windshield replaced, this is likely what the installer used to reattach your rearview mirror.

I don't think electrickery works that way
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: