Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How much to offer for this 1966?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogwood Dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: How much to offer for this 1966? Reply with quote

Hey, how much should I offer to buy this for?

-rust repaired,car in good condition
-engine disassembled
-new ball joints, brakes and shocks
-dual master cyl.
-lots of extra parts
-pans and channels solid
-interior looks good
-matching numbers I think....

Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Dogwood Dude on Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: How much to offer for this 1966? Reply with quote

Fritz 70 - 6306 Bearing Puller
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How much to offer for this 1966? Reply with quote

Is it yours?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: How much to offer for this 1966? Reply with quote

Depends on HOW the rust was repaired. Take a magnet with you, not one that's too strong, just the fridge kind and see if there is any steel in the repaired areas. If it was repaired with old shop rags, fiberglass and filler you will know...
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How much to offer for this 1966? Reply with quote

I feel add another four thousand to your offer to have a nice driver. I am not including a paint job, that gets pricey. If you can drive it home but nope so for me that is a deduct. Offer two thousand and see. Lots of work to be done on it for sure.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How much to offer for this 1966? Reply with quote

Sort of depends if the person wants to sell it, how big of a hurry he's in, and how much he thinks it's worth. Good luck.

I think I'd settle on a price I'm comfortable with, subtract a thousand or so from that figure, and have the cash in hand when I made the offer.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How much to offer for this 1966? Reply with quote

I agree with "oprn", how the rust was repaired is the BIGGEST thing to me.I would never consider buying a car, any car, without a very clear understanding of how the rust was mitigated, and done correctly.
doug bugg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How much to offer for this 1966? Reply with quote

Personally, I would steer clear of someone else's project. I would hold out and save up for an unmolested bug.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: How much to offer for this 1966? Reply with quote

2500 US

You are 5k US from driving that
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: How much to offer for this 1966? Reply with quote

Ultimately, it depends on what you want to do with it. Do you want a full restoration (paint, upholstery, bumpers, rubber seals, mechanicals, etc)? Or do you want to throw in a Craigslist engine, and try to make it a 'good enough' around-town, semi-reliable driver? Will you be doing the work yourself, or paying someone $100+ per hour to do it for you? Either way, I'd suggest figuring out what you will put into it money-wise, and then take a look at prices of Beetles similar to what you want to end up with. My bet is you'll be miles and dollars ahead to buy one finished.
It's hard to tell for sure from those pictures, but I wouldn't be fooled into thinking all that car needs is an engine put in, and you'll be cruising down the road worry free.

Personally, if I was in the market and could get it for under $2500, I might go for it. But that's knowing I'll probably be into it for $10,000 and a few hundred hours when I'm comfortable getting in and going. Without doing the body and paint.
If the rust repair doesn't check out as quality work, or if there's any other major issues, I'd be a player at under $500 just for parts.
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How much to offer for this 1966? Reply with quote

Sounds like someone trying to sell their own car but aren't sure what to ask for it. Laughing
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How much to offer for this 1966? Reply with quote

From the original post

Quote:
Hey, how much should I offer to buy this for?

It sounds like he is looking to buy it to me.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: How much to offer for this 1966? Reply with quote

doug bugg wrote:
Personally, I would steer clear of someone else's project. I would hold out and save up for an unmolested bug.

You might be saving for a long long time. In this day and age unmolested Beetles are few and far between and getting more rare every day.

That one right there might be as close as you will get!
doug bugg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: How much to offer for this 1966? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
doug bugg wrote:

You might be saving for a long long time. In this day and age unmolested Beetles are few and far between and getting more rare every day.

That one right there might be as close as you will get!

You may be right but you have to remember that with 22 million of these things built your chances are much better than, say, a Hemicuda or 429 CJ Mustang! I guess that I've always been lucky finding bugs that were clean originals. They ARE out there.

Just don't hurry into, or force something on yourself, that is a potential money pit. Take your time looking.
Dogwood Dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: How much to offer for this 1966? Reply with quote

Thanks for the info!
Dogwood Dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: How much to offer for this 1966? Reply with quote

doug bugg wrote:

Ya I think your right. "someone else's project" could be trouble.
Best to be patient but I'm going crazy looking at classifieds 24/7.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How much to offer for this 1966? Reply with quote

Here in Canada there are very few in that year that have survived at all never mind in original condition. That is why you are going nuts trying to find a good one. The last VW meet I was at last summer there was only 2 1966 Beetles there and only one of them was close to original, in fact I questioned whether or not the second was a ‘66 at all. I think it was a ‘64.
gondiwindi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How much to offer for this 1966? Reply with quote

How much is the seller asking? It sounds like it’s a sellers market over there so factor that in. Find out how much it costs to ship cars to your area. Then of course price comp thru this site, eBay, Facebook marketplace, etc.

Good luck.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: How much to offer for this 1966? Reply with quote

If the seller is selling it and marketing it....odds are it will be gone before OP figures it out and makes any offer..
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How much to offer for this 1966? Reply with quote

That is one of the nicer ones I have seen in the Canadian rust belt. As long as the rust he has already fixed is done properly it's a good buy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: