Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

UPS shipping damages delivery
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: UPS shipping damages delivery Reply with quote

Maybe this is common place but it has never happened to me before.

Bought a quart of high build primer online, something I have done probably a dozen times. I get the UPS shipping notice that its coming Saturday. So I click on the "track your package" link and it says it was out for delivery. So I wait...nothing on Saturday. Nothing on Sunday. So I check back and it says "package damaged in delivery".

So I reach out to UPS and they say they will send me a link to initiate a claim. I ask them what the process is and they say they need to figure out if it was their fault or if it was the shippers fault for poor packaging. I ask if they will contact the shipper and they say that I need to keep the shipper updated. I ask who will pay for the replacement. They tell me they have to investigate it. I ask how long and they say generally up to 8 days.

So....I guess they don't reach out when they damage a package and just send it back? If I didn't reach out then what would have happened? I guess my project is on hold now for at least a week?
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: UPS shipping damages delivery Reply with quote

UPS has the easiest claim plan of them all. Lucky it wasn't USPS.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: UPS shipping damages delivery Reply with quote

They will claim improper packaging. They do it every time.

(I can't remember the shipper) I had a package delivered with TIRE TRACKS on it. It was run over. You guessed it, improper shipping..

I went rounds with the shipper. No insurance? Too bad. You ran it over! I have to insure against you destroying my package? Isn't your entire job to deliver my package in a safe and orderly manner? Why do I need to buy insurance?

Good luck with your claim.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: UPS shipping damages delivery Reply with quote

UPS does not deliver on the weekends.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: UPS shipping damages delivery Reply with quote

Quote:
UPS does not deliver on the weekends.

Really? Well below this is copy and paste of an email I got from them.

UPS logo
Hi Jeffrey, you have a package coming today.

Select Follow My Delivery to view its progress on a live map.

Estimated Delivery Date: Saturday, 03/13/2021
Estimated Delivery Time: 01:15 PM - 04:15 PM
Track My Package
Change My Delivery
shano63 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: UPS shipping damages delivery Reply with quote

I have driven for UPS for the last 22 years and we have been delivering on saturday's for some time now. They were even talking about sunday's but nothings happened so far. Every package is automatically insured for up to $99, anything over and you have to pay extra to insure it, you meaning the shipper. I can't tell you how the damaged goods process works, but you'll get your replacement.
78 F250 4x4 4spd

Chris

Take it as it comes-- Morrison
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: UPS shipping damages delivery Reply with quote

UPS does pretty well with claims. I have literally shipped thousands of packages worth millions ....across a range of companies small to large.

The gist is this. If you make a product or products....and use UPS all the time...you standardize boxes and packing methods. Then you call your local UPS person and set up an appointment to have your samples of packaging methods inspected and approved for the product type and weight.....and value.

If you consistently pack the same way....you will RARELY get refused replacementcost.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: UPS shipping damages delivery Reply with quote

I used to work for mail boxes etc before they became the UPS store. You would be amazed what people try to ship not packaged correctly. The average person is an idiot when it comes to this...

If items are packaged correctly, things won't break. If items are packaged correctly and they are destroyed like say the driver ran it over, or the conveyer ate the package, that's different, they will pay out, but it does have to be packaged within guidlines (for example 2 inches of space and approved packaging material - penuts and bubble wrap, not newspaper). For really fragile items, box inside another box with 2 inches of material around it. It's not rocket surgery. When a new UPS store opens they used to force the new owner to go to the warehouse and see how the conveyers and schutes and semi truck loading works. We hardly had any claims at all, and when we did our rep would get the claims approved right away, knowing how we worked.

to the OP - send it back? It leaked paint all over, you want them to put that back in the system and make a mess? It likely already did the first time. It used to be that you as the buyer had no say in this, you have to call the seller and have them start the claim process and send you another can - packaged better hopefully LOL

Think of a quart of paint all in the machinery and other people pacakages Laughing Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: UPS shipping damages delivery Reply with quote

I sent a carburetor to Volkzbitz , wrapped in plastic and stuffed with hay, in a prepaid USPS box. No problemo.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: UPS shipping damages delivery Reply with quote

Ha,ha,ha you will never see a dime from UPS. Its always "improper packing" even when you have a UPS store package it FOR YOU. I has a transmission destroyed by a UPS driver who let it flop onto the ground from the back of the truck and my buyer had it all on video! Never got any money , had to refund the buyer out of my own pocket. They did fire the driver as he never showed up on that route again. I pnly use them for items that can't be destroyed.

The whole shipping world is fast falling apart.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: UPS shipping damages delivery Reply with quote

If you had a UPS store pack something and it was damaged, they absolutely carry their own insurance to pay for that. You got hosed and that is not a normal occurance at all unless they told you in advance and you signed off in advance that they were not going to assume any liability. If it was anytime recent I would encourage you to run that up the UPS store chain to an area rep, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: UPS shipping damages delivery Reply with quote

The manager of the UPS store is/was a friend of mine and he took the video evidence all the way to corporate claims. UPS does not honor any of these "contracts" as basic policy. In the 15 years he worked at his branch he never saw a claim satisfied. I'd love to hear even one actual story of UPS paying a claim. I used to work for them in a warehouse and the treatment was brutal to both employees and freight. Maybe drivers make out better.

Buyer beware
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: UPS shipping damages delivery Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
If items are packaged correctly and they are destroyed like say the driver ran it over, or the conveyer ate the package, that's different, they will pay out, but it does have to be packaged within guidlines (for example 2 inches of space and approved packaging material - penuts and bubble wrap, not newspaper).

Really?
Many years ago I used to buy and sell home theater electronics online. I sold a pair of Infinity CS-3009 speakers that the buyer requested I send via UPS, so I took them to the UPS Store and the guy at the counter told me if I had them pack the speakers, and they get damaged, my claim will be honored no questions asked. I contacted the buyer back and he agreed to the extra cost of having them pack the speakers. Sure enough, one of the speakers arrived at the buyer's house with moderate damage to a corner. When I went back to the UPS Store with photos to show them what happened, they said i had to go through the UPS claims dept and gave me the 1-800 number. I contacted the claims dept and was told the liability fell with the UPS Store. I went around and around with both of these entities for 2 frigging months, and got the buyer involved who received the same treatment. The UPS Store absolutely refused to contact UPS themselves, and laughed when I asked them to. Finally the buyer got hold of someone higher up at UPS and the claim got honored, but it only takes one time of being treated like that & I have never even thought about using that shithole of a company's services ever again. FedEx is cheaper by far (especially with larger packages) and the few times they have damaged something I have never had an issue getting it resolved.

To the OP- sorry but I guarantee you'll be waiting longer than a week for this to get resolved, and you'll probably have to make several more phone calls.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: UPS shipping damages delivery Reply with quote

I once had a package delivered by UPS that was in many 2 inch wide chunks when I got home, scattered all over the driveway.. I had ordered a new rubber mat for my Westy and despite my very long driveway and locked gate, the driver threw the box in the yard. Now I don't know how close he came to the gate itself, but my two Rottweilers were quite happy to open that box! It looked to be 200 parts of cardboard and rubber.. Fortunately I called Bus Depot and they reshipped a replacement free, letting both UPS and myself off the hook. I doubt UPS would have accepted " my dogs ate it".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: