Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Has anyone had trouble setting up Kadrons?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone had trouble setting up Kadrons? Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

It's easy enough to check what size they are once you get them in-hand.

True, but for the money spent the customer shouldn't have to measure them. It just adds another step to trouble shooting. "Well hey, that jet might be too big or too small, or maybe they aren't the same size. But we don't know what's right or wrong because we don't know what they were supposed to be"
I ordered some carbs from Blackline a few years ago. Came back with a build sheet listing every jet, throttle plate settings, and the float height. Aircooled.net drops a note in the box listing the jets when you pay him to set them up for you.
I realize I'm way O/T so I'll retreat to the corner.
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone had trouble setting up Kadrons? Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Clatter wrote:

It's easy enough to check what size they are once you get them in-hand.

True, but for the money spent the customer shouldn't have to measure them. It just adds another step to trouble shooting. "Well hey, that jet might be too big or too small, or maybe they aren't the same size. But we don't know what's right or wrong because we don't know what they were supposed to be"
I ordered some carbs from Blackline a few years ago. Came back with a build sheet listing every jet, throttle plate settings, and the float height. Aircooled.net drops a note in the box listing the jets when you pay him to set them up for you.
I realize I'm way O/T so I'll retreat to the corner.

We should start a separate thread on commercial shop carburetor builds and harvest all the data we can. LOL!
Once I get back to my air cooled girl and measure the mains I will report back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone had trouble setting up Kadrons? Reply with quote

I remember this was a good one, covered most of the kadron specific stuff
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=700554
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone had trouble setting up Kadrons? Reply with quote

Update.
Just prior to packing them up for the return trip back to Cali. I measured all the mains. So this is what we have. 61 Idles, 130 mains, H150-2 air correction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone had trouble setting up Kadrons? Reply with quote

61 idles are pretty durn big Confused

Honestly I bet it would have run well on 55's.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
unclebilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone had trouble setting up Kadrons? Reply with quote

I have Kadrons on my Baja.

Make sure you loctite your air cleaner wing nuts on, one of my air cleaner lids came off and my engine injested dirt.

The kadron being right beside my tire didn’t help anything.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone had trouble setting up Kadrons? Reply with quote

Could happen to anybody.
I use locknuts

having to safety wire your wingnuts is just ironic, and having to loctite your wingnuts is no fun, so we invent the safety wingnut.

The final evolution..... of the wingnut that looks like you could turn it with your fingers but you actually can't.
lets get a wrench Razz
And for maximum pleasure.... ratcheting wrench!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone had trouble setting up Kadrons? Reply with quote

unclebilly wrote:
I have Kadrons on my Baja.

Make sure you loctite your air cleaner wing nuts on, one of my air cleaner lids came off and my engine injested dirt.

The kadron being right beside my tire didn’t help anything.

Common problem. My Buggy came to me in that condition, the right air cleaner was rattling around loose. The right side of the engine was burning oil badly otherwise I would still be running that 1600 DP.

Every Kadron buyer should be told up front this is a problem.
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone had trouble setting up Kadrons? Reply with quote

is a 132 main jet in Kadrons for my 1600 unthinkable ?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone had trouble setting up Kadrons? Reply with quote

130 is normal IMO
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone had trouble setting up Kadrons? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
130 is normal IMO

That's my opinion too but i went down to 127 and the cruise / light throttle popping was worse.

I think 132 is too rich but I may try
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone had trouble setting up Kadrons? Reply with quote

Bug53 wrote:
modok wrote:
130 is normal IMO

That's my opinion too but i went down to 127 and the cruise / light throttle popping was worse.

I think 132 is too rich but I may try

That´s a clear indication that something else is off or wrong. You DO NOT cruise on the main circuit unless your cruise speed is above 50-60 mph dependant on the entire set up.
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone had trouble setting up Kadrons? Reply with quote

Absolutely correct. It did nothing measurable for the condition.
Cranking up the accelerator pumps did a measurable improvement prior to this which makes no sense. The the results were good.
How far in are some of the other Kadron acc. Pump adjusters on other cars?
Kaddie Shack gave me the carbs back with the plastic nuts barely touching.
I slowly turned mine in one turn at a time. Now they have a little more than 1/8” of thread showing.
I know I need to measure the actual output but one turn at a time “seat of the pants” tuning is to satisfy curiosities.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone had trouble setting up Kadrons? Reply with quote

I ended up needing to turn them in so far that I needed spacers to get adequate squirt from them. I used the tips that screw onto the plug wire end of some spark plugs. Before that I wasn't able to tighten the adjustment nuts in enough.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone had trouble setting up Kadrons? Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
I ended up needing to turn them in so far that I needed spacers to get adequate squirt from them. I used the tips that screw onto the plug wire end of some spark plugs. Before that I wasn't able to tighten the adjustment nuts in enough.

Wow!
Were these the Brazilian shit I have or an OG set?
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone had trouble setting up Kadrons? Reply with quote

As far as Jetting I am basically at sea level. S0 my 130/60 setup as delivered from KS should do the trick? I think 55 would be better but that what KS seems to believe will work.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone had trouble setting up Kadrons? Reply with quote

Bug53 wrote:
Lingwendil wrote:

Wow!
Were these the Brazilian shit I have or an OG set?

Brasilian is OG, if I'm not mistaken Confused

That's where they all came from originally. Anything else is basically an Empi knockoff. My set are fairly old, but have had a couple items replaced, If I'mnot mistaken the rebuild kits in them don't behave the same as far as the diphragms in the accelerator pumps, so sometimes you need to shim the adjustment nut for more stroke.

Got the tip from the Kadron manual by Frank Camper-

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm sending you a PM too,if you don't mind Smile

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: