Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Van Wankel coolant upgrades and transaxle R&R
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
truckersmike
Elder Sambanite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Van Wankel coolant upgrades and transaxle R&R Reply with quote

After a summer of driving Van Wankel all over town and back and forth to work, it was time to really tear into it and replace the cooling system and resolve some tranny issues. I'm looking for advise on the best way to proceed on a few items.

First, new stainless steal coolants lines are on their way, along with tons of other parts. The diesel radiator is leaking so I picked up a good used one from an 85. I know it will need some modifications but I'm having a hard time sourcing a fan shroud. I was wondering if there was a way to mount the diesel fan shroud onto it? Also, the homemade piping system in the engine compartment is pretty rusty. Any suggestions on how to reroute hoses to the steal lines?

Besides oil leaking out of the side gears, I pulled the tranny because the van developed a significant clutch chatter issue. I thought that oil was getting on the clutch but it seems pretty dry with no sign of a rear main seal or tranny output shaft leak. The KEP stage 2 clutch still looks brand new and both the surface of the clutch face and flywheel look ok to me. The disc does have some markings but I'm not sure how to read it. My worry is that the chatter is not in the clutch but in the tranny. What are some things I should look for? And how smooth should the throwout shaft move? Mine feels like it's dragging the entire way.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by truckersmike on Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Wankel upgrades. What would you do? Reply with quote

Where's the popcorn eating emoticon? Already this is a candidate for thread of the month.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Wankel upgrades. What would you do? Reply with quote

Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Van Wankel upgrades. What would you do? Reply with quote

I can’t really help with the shroud or clutch questions but I’ll give my thoughts on your hoses, pipes to bump your thread.

Since your setup is so unique, I’d suggest trying to duplicate it. A custom exhaust shop could bend the pipes and some place like national hose could do the other fittings. I’m not really sure about that piece with the pressure cap on it; I’d either reuse that one or take a picture and do an image search for a replacement.
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Wankel upgrades. What would you do? Reply with quote

That fly wheel looks like it has gotten hot. I have put a lot worse back together but with the high reving 13B that might be your problem. Looking at your cooling hoses front to back it looks to me like you could run standard 83.5 or newer cooling pipes. The heavy duty rubber cooling hoses that a previous owner put in might not need replacing but I would check them out carefully now that they are out. My van still has the 82 diesel radiator in it. I prefer it but if it ever lets lose I keep the new stile lower radiator brackets in my van so I can up date the radiator if needed. Some times the 82 radiator can be rebuilt I did mine once. If you already have the newer parts that’s probably a better way to go. Hopefully some of this will be useful. John
truckersmike
Elder Sambanite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Wankel upgrades. What would you do? Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
Since your setup is so unique, I’d suggest trying to duplicate it. A custom exhaust shop could bend the pipes and some place like national hose could do the other fittings. I’m not really sure about that piece with the pressure cap on it; I’d either reuse that one or take a picture and do an image search for a replacement.

That's probably what I'll end up doing because it did work and mounted well. The T piece with the radiator cap still looks good. Might just change the cap but I may also research to see if there is any benefit to having a fill tank instead. This setup just has an overflow tank.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
truckersmike
Elder Sambanite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Wankel upgrades. What would you do? Reply with quote

82westyrabbit wrote:
That fly wheel looks like it has gotten hot. I have put a lot worse back together but with the high reving 13B that might be your problem. Looking at your cooling hoses front to back it looks to me like you could run standard 83.5 or newer cooling pipes. The heavy duty rubber cooling hoses that a previous owner put in might not need replacing but I would check them out carefully now that they are out. My van still has the 82 diesel radiator in it. I prefer it but if it ever lets lose I keep the new stile lower radiator brackets in my van so I can up date the radiator if needed. Some times the 82 radiator can be rebuilt I did mine once. If you already have the newer parts that’s probably a better way to go. Hopefully some of this will be useful. John

Can I ask what you see on the flywheel that indicates heat? Though the redline is 6k, I usually shift between 3-4k and max 5k when getting up to speed.

All new stainless pipes are on the way. In fact, they should arrive today after a month of waiting.

We only have one radiator shop in town and he is pricey but I may try calling out to other towns and see what they charge. Keeping the diesel radiator would definitely make things easier.
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Wankel upgrades. What would you do? Reply with quote

The flywheel is heat checked around the other edges. Like I said I have put worse back together. My comment on the 13B is not to talk about how you drive just that that engine doesn’t have a lot of low end toque so you might need a few more RPM’s to get it moving. That would be a little harder on the clutch. Your stainless steel pipes should work great. Your van started life as a 82 diesel right. You are better off if you didn’t get the diesel pipes but it should work either way. I had my radiator recorded in the 90’s and sent it to get checked and pressure checked about three years ago. It keeps going like the energizer bunny. I collected all the parts to install a newer radiator when that day comes. If you have purchased the parts to do that I would keep going with plan A. I know radiator fan shrouds are different but I think you could make the old one work on the new radiator but I haven’t done it myself yet just held it up against the new stile radiator. John
truckersmike
Elder Sambanite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Wankel upgrades. What would you do? Reply with quote

Spent a lot more time scoping and cleaning the flywheel area. Though the flywheel surface felt dry, there is a ring of black goo on the outer edge that contains fibers (I assume from the disc). So at least some oil is getting in there. Then I checked the bell housing of the transaxle and it is a little shinny with some oil but but I wouldn't say it's a massive leak. The throwout bearing seems to be dragging on the shaft and the clutch lever will not return on its own because of it. I'm going to replace the seal and the throwout bearing and maybe that will help.

The tip of the output shaft is a little scared so I looked into the input side and I either have a destroyed needle bearing or this kit just has a bushing. I'm guessing this kit is from Kennedy so I'm going to call them tomorrow. Perhaps this is the cause of the chatter.
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Van Wankel upgrades. What would you do? Reply with quote

I forgot about the pilot bearing. I change those every time the transmission is out. I have had those ruin my in put shaft twice. It will be interesting to see if you have the stock pilot bearing or if they need to come up with something special for your conversation. John
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Van Wankel upgrades. What would you do? Reply with quote

truckersmike wrote:

We only have one radiator shop in town and he is pricey but I may try calling out to other towns and see what they charge. Keeping the diesel radiator would definitely make things easier.

whatcom radiator?

ive taken numerous things down there and hes always been really reasonably priced. not always fast, but ive never been taken aback by the pricing.

and hes usually game to try resealing whatever

in any case, cool setup!

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Wankel upgrades. What would you do? Reply with quote

That's got to be one of the most bizarre swaps out there. It's kinda like putting a Hayabusa engine in a Hummer.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Van Wankel upgrades. What would you do? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
That's got to be one of the most bizarre swaps out there. It's kinda like putting a Hayabusa engine in a Hummer.

Nah, a Hayabusa engine doesn't have more power than a Hummer engine.

Flatter torque curve. More power. Runs very smoothly at high rpms like the wbx. Terrible mpg like the wbx. Consumes oil like the wbx. Same reliability as a wbx. Less weight than a wbx. Same gutless feeling below 2000rpm. Same punchy feeling at 4000rpm.

Lots of similarities, but the 13b definitely has a few advantages. Razz
truckersmike
Elder Sambanite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Van Wankel upgrades. What would you do? Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
whatcom radiator?

ive taken numerous things down there and hes always been really reasonably priced. not always fast, but ive never been taken aback by the pricing.

and hes usually game to try resealing whatever

in any case, cool setup!

Thanks! It's definitely an interesting set up and besides the clutch chatter, it works well.

A while back, I called Whatcom Radiator about cleaning out my fuel tank and they were considerably more expensive then buying a new one. I ended up just cleaning it at home so that's what I'm basing my assumption on. I'll give him a call today and see what he says.
truckersmike
Elder Sambanite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Van Wankel upgrades. What would you do? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

Nah, a Hayabusa engine doesn't have more power than a Hummer engine.

Flatter torque curve. More power. Runs very smoothly at high rpms like the wbx. Terrible mpg like the wbx. Consumes oil like the wbx. Same reliability as a wbx. Less weight than a wbx. Same gutless feeling below 2000rpm. Same punchy feeling at 4000rpm.

Lots of similarities, but the 13b definitely has a few advantages. Razz

You are correct about the similarities to the WBX. The 13b also has known coolant leaking issues too Very Happy. One big difference though is this motor has 135hp and 120ftlb of torque. More than a WBX and a hell of a lot more than the 1.6 that used to be in it.

I've read a lot of opinions about this swap but NO ONE has driven this combo to have any real knowledge. I bought the van this way because it was local and fairly cheap ($6K) and plan to drive it as is until something happens. Even then, it's less than $4k for a professional rebuild. Much more cost effective than spending $10k for a more typical swap.

The motor is super smooth, so much so that I can stall it and not even know. It accelerates quickly and has strong steady power up the RPM's. We have a huge long hill in town and it does fine, though I do need to keep the RPM's around 3000K or above. One thing I haven't done yet is take it for a long drive on the freeway or up a mountain pass. Those will be the real tests of this motor. And if I determine it's not cutting it, then I'll consider another option.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Van Wankel upgrades. What would you do? Reply with quote

It's a great motor. I had an RX8 with the 13b renesis and it was a very enjoyable car to drive. Much like a Syncro, the transmission was where it was hamstrung. But the motor? Zoom-zoom. I loved that riding the wave feeling of constantly increasing power to redline.

I bet your van is an absolute hoot to drive.
truckersmike
Elder Sambanite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Van Wankel upgrades. What would you do? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
I bet your van is an absolute hoot to drive.

It was until it developed clutch chatter. The very first time I drove it, I had a big smile on my face because it took so long to get it running and it had more power than I was expecting. Looking forward to replacing worn parts and fixing the issues it has to get it back on the road.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Van Wankel upgrades. What would you do? Reply with quote

You asked about upgrades. 12A?? A 13B is meh. Apex “Seals” stuff you already know about. Man, I want your engine combo to work well.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Wankel upgrades. What would you do? Reply with quote

12a? Lame.

20b.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Wankel upgrades. What would you do? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
12a? Lame.

20b.

I get it.

Link

In a Van Think

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: