Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fast Brake Lights switch review
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Brake Lights switch review Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Periodically, I check for operation of my tail light, brake lights, turn signal lights by looking at their reflection of vehicles behind me or in front of me.

With all my vehicles, I periodically stop at the strip mall and back up to the windows after hours, then look over my shoulder and go through all the functions, including "reverse" lights.
Last thing I want is a peace officer pulling me over to inform me of a melted filament Wink
Scott65Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Brake Lights switch review Reply with quote

This is a great product. I've run them on two cars now without fail.I run them through a relay and take load off the switch though this not necessary. As far as the hydraulic switches go I had so much maintenence on them because switches would fail for a variety of reasons within a year.
RLFD213
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Brake Lights switch review Reply with quote

I use a Harley Davidson rear brake switch. It’s rated at 10 pounds of pressure in stead of 20 pounds for the VW switch. It’s a 2 prong and it’s the same thread. Plus it’s better quality than the aftermarket VW switches so no leaks.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Brake Lights switch review Reply with quote

RLFD213 wrote:
I use a Harley Davidson rear brake switch. It’s rated at 10 pounds of pressure in stead of 20 pounds for the VW switch. It’s a 2 prong and it’s the same thread. Plus it’s better quality than the aftermarket VW switches so no leaks.

This switch activates as soon as the pedal is touched. That way the person behind you has more time to react. Perfect solution I was looking for.

Thanks for the HD info.
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Brake Lights switch review Reply with quote

Recently installed the Fast Brake Light switch and am very happy with it.

I wired it in parallel with the switch on the master cylinder. Much quicker response time.

Great work!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Brake Lights switch review Reply with quote

RLFD213 wrote:
I use a Harley Davidson rear brake switch. .... and it’s the same thread.

I bet the HD switch is NPT and not metric.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RLFD213
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Brake Lights switch review Reply with quote

It’s metric. Harley doesn’t make much of anything in the US any more.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Brake Lights switch review Reply with quote

My switch went out, just installed the HDswitch and it’s amazing. Lights come on at even the slightest pressure. 26$ at the Dealer. The Hd switch has threads like an oil pressure switch. It looks like my old switch was straight thread…. Still works, the taper npt still goes in nicely and tightened up.
RLFD213
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Brake Lights switch review Reply with quote

I’m glad to read this. The Harley switch is perfect for these. I also put a 3rd brake light on mine. To many pictures on the forums with the headline “I took the car out today and got hit.”
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Brake Lights switch review Reply with quote

In many cases currently, it doesn’t matter how lit and noisy your vehicle is… somebody will stack you up because there’s way too many distractions. When people are busy eDriving… they don’t see anything but their phone screens anyway. But I’m happy to have a few solutions at hand to make the brake lights work better. I don’t really care for the added microswitch, those things are cheap and putting them on the pedal cluster is not for me.
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Brake Lights switch review Reply with quote

Interesting concept. Does the micro switch carry the full current of the brake light circuit for the entire time the brakes are applied?
Good info on the Harley brake light switch. How many amps is it rated for?
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Brake Lights switch review Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
RLFD213 wrote:
I use a Harley Davidson rear brake switch. .... and it’s the same thread.

I bet the HD switch is NPT and not metric.

1/8 inch pipe thread and 10mm metric are so close in diameter and thread pitch that they can be used interchangeably.
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Brake Lights switch review Reply with quote

I don't agree that M10X1 AND 1/8"NPT are interchangeable. M10 is 24.5 threads to the inch, NPT is 27 threads per inch. Something has to give as you're tightening it, this is an old argument.

I tested several VW brakelight switches yesterday to find that most of them triggered on at about 70psi! No wonder we complain about delayed brakelight action.

Does anyone know of a switch similar to the HD switch above that triggers at a lower pressure and has M10 threads? It seems that some Euro car has to have one.

Thanks!
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Brake Lights switch review Reply with quote

Bruce Amacker wrote:
I don't agree that M10X1 AND 1/8"NPT are interchangeable. M10 is 24.5 threads to the inch, NPT is 27 threads per inch. Something has to give as you're tightening it, this is an old argument.

I tested several VW brakelight switches yesterday to find that most of them triggered on at about 70psi! No wonder we complain about delayed brakelight action.

Does anyone know of a switch similar to the HD switch above that triggers at a lower pressure and has M10 threads? It seems that some Euro car has to have one.

Thanks!

my experience is that the US and metric thread work together just fine in this case. Use sealant or tape of course. but best bet is to ditch the pressure switch and get a switch that operates from the pedal position.

The best solution is the pedal lever operated switch which can be adjusted to turn on before the master piston even starts to build up pressure, and LED bulbs. That way you can flash your stop lights without actually applying the brake shoes to the drums, and the LEDs can be considerably brighter than most regular bulbs. High mount stop lights in the rear window are also a good idea., especially if you have the tiny tail lamp housings such as on early Bugs, they are low and dim.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Brake Lights switch review Reply with quote

I agree with this...
Bruce Amacker wrote:
M10 is 24.5 threads to the inch, NPT is 27 threads per inch. Something has to give as you're tightening it, this is an old argument. Yesss, sooooper old

And this...
zerotofifty wrote:
The best solution is the pedal lever operated switch which can be adjusted to turn on before the master piston even starts to build up pressure, and LED bulbs. That way you can flash your stop lights without actually applying the brake shoes to the drums...

Not that I would flash other than briefly for safety purposes.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Brake Lights switch review Reply with quote

Bruce Amacker wrote:
Does anyone know of a switch similar to the HD switch above that triggers at a lower pressure and has M10 threads?

I simply bought new German switches for mine, from vwnos.com https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2372844
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Past post, Dec. 2020:
Cusser wrote:
I installed two new German brake light switches from Heimlich into my 1971 Super and bled the brakes afterwards. Now my brake lights come on without having to power stomp on them. I did not need to remove the wheel, and 24mm deep socket was my friend.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2372844

VWNOS.com

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Brake Lights switch review Reply with quote

Bruce Amacker wrote:
I don't agree that M10X1 AND 1/8"NPT are interchangeable. M10 is 24.5 threads to the inch, NPT is 27 threads per inch.

M10x1 is 25.4 threads/inch

M10x1 is 10mm diameter, 1 thread per millimeter

NPT is .405 inch OD (10.3 mm OD) and 27 threads per inch

27 thread/inch = 27 threads/25.4mm = 1.06 threads/mm.

NPT is 10.3mm OD and 1.06 threads per mm or 10.03x1.06 - pretty close to 10x1
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Brake Lights switch review Reply with quote

Last night, driving home from seeing my folks, hiway 80 in my old 914, on the S.F. Bay Bridge, 10 pm. very heavy traffic. I am in slow lane, moving with the flow of maybe 25 mph max, stop and go (all six lanes going the same speed) but leaving a safe gap ahead of me, of about four or five car length. and some A hole in a big lifted truck rides my rear bumper, and turns on his high beams to flash me. truck less than 3 feet behind me. what an A hole. I wish I had a rear mounted cannon. screw these dangerous these people.
No cops around when you need them.
Some drivers should have their heads examined
SLO-N-LO-69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Brake Lights switch review Reply with quote

I just put one of the kits on my 73 and love it. The lights come on instantly versus at the end of the peddle movement. A very nice addon that only take about 30 minutes to install.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Fast Brake Lights switch review Reply with quote

SLO-N-LO-69 wrote:
I just put one of the kits on my 73 and love it. The lights come on instantly versus at the end of the peddle movement. A very nice addon that only take about 30 minutes to install.

I agree, it is a great addition to the older delayed design.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: