Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

12v voltage regulator test
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v voltage regulator test Reply with quote

The starter solenoids tend to get exposed to moisture over time and need to come apart for clean and repairs. Also the contactor plate can get messed up. Be sure to un-solder the coil wires from the front before disassembly!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My Contactor plate fell off and the inadequate fastener that solders on the plunger shaft broke but I found the solution was to thread the shaft and nut it and use threadlocker. Also I just flipped the contactor plate for the un-pitted side.

Last edited by Danwvw on Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v voltage regulator test Reply with quote

I will go ahead and replace that ground strap. It's in pretty rough shape and I bought a new for that reason. I will swap it out, and reinstall the starter, and see what happens.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v voltage regulator test Reply with quote

I'm surprised I never tried to dismantle a starter solenoid before... I've taken just about everything else apart over the years.

The automatic solenoids were the most common to fail back when I was worked at the VW parts/service shop in the 90s. And the one on my Baja bug failed a couple of times. I finally got a new one that works good, but, again, surprised that I never tried to have a look inside. I know I had to take apart the starter motor itself at one point, due to water getting in there after a flood, and didn't even think about doing the same for the solenoid. The starter motor itself, by the way, is very robust.

I don't know if it's even hooked up anymore, but due to unpredictable hot-start issues, in lieu of a starter relay, I simply ran a wire to that unused extra 2nd 50 terminal to a spring loaded toggle switch I put next to the battery on the kick panel.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v voltage regulator test Reply with quote

for grins, I just tried to polarize the generator. jumper from the positive terminal on the battery to the D+ terminal on the generator. Jumper from the DF terminal on the generator to ground. I got nothing out of the generator. Could it possibly be the ground strap (hard to say), but I'm trying to test this generator while it's still on the car.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v voltage regulator test Reply with quote

A good generator will run like a motor doing that with the belt removed. Don't do it very long though! It's good to take voltage readings on the battery and see what is happening. Should be 12.6 volts rest if it's charged. and 14 volts charging if the gen and reg are good.
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v voltage regulator test Reply with quote

Couple things. The ground strap that goes from the transmission to the chassis, where it connects to the chassis. Should that connection surface be bare metal? I was scraping all the crud off mine, but no matter how much I scraped, sprayed, and brushed....the "black" wouldn't come off. It seems like it's a rubber coating of some sort. My next step if it needs to be metal, is to get a wire wheel out. I installed the ground strap to it, but it certainly didn't help my generator issue any.

Generator - I still can't get it polarized. I don't know if it's an issue with the generator's internal parts or what. I know it means nothing but I can turn the generator by hand, so it's not seized up. I am really trying to get this turned over without dropping the engine. Is there anything else I can do?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: 12v voltage regulator test Reply with quote

If it were up to me, I'd wire brush the connection points for the ground strap until I was certain it was a good clean electrical connection. Then once tightly fastened, coat the junction with dielectric grease to seal out any moisture to avoid future corrosion.

For polarizing your generator... connect your battery jumper cables to the battery posts and run it out to the engine so you can ground the DF and power the D+ directly from the jumper cables. In this way you don't have to be concerned with the ground strap at all.
While you have the power/ground connected to the generator, give the pulley a spin CW to get it moving. If it continues to spin on its own, the generator is polarized and you are done.
If it stops spinning your generator is bad. You could check the quality of the brushes. Replace them if needed and try again. It could be you just have a dead generator.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: 12v voltage regulator test Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
If it were up to me, I'd wire brush the connection points for the ground strap until I was certain it was a good clean electrical connection. Then once tightly fastened, coat the junction with dielectric grease to seal out any moisture to avoid future corrosion.

For polarizing your generator... connect your battery jumper cables to the battery posts and run it out to the engine so you can ground the DF and power the D+ directly from the jumper cables. In this way you don't have to be concerned with the ground strap at all.
While you have the power/ground connected to the generator, give the pulley a spin CW to get it moving. If it continues to spin on its own, the generator is polarized and you are done.
If it stops spinning your generator is bad. You could check the quality of the brushes. Replace them if needed and try again. It could be you just have a dead generator.

I agree with all the above.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: 12v voltage regulator test Reply with quote

I will try the polarizing test again later today.

Couple questions.
In the picture below, you will see a lot of green. I am assuming this is corrosion from sitting for so long? Is there a red flag there? The generator spins freely by hand with no issues.

Depending how you answer that, when it comes to the brushes. I see they can be bought for pretty cheap. Are there other components that would need to be replaced within this generator?

Not sure if their is value in tearing apart or just buying a new aftermarket generator.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: 12v voltage regulator test Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:
In the picture below, you will see a lot of green. I am assuming this is corrosion from sitting for so long?

The green residue is from the copper in the armature.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: 12v voltage regulator test Reply with quote

certainly wasn't a ground strap issue. Did the test you mentioned above and I got nothing. I had power in the jumpers that were connected to the generator, but the generator did nothing. I'm going with dead.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: 12v voltage regulator test Reply with quote

Hey crankbait, sorry just catching up on this thread.
Yes it sounds like your generator is dead. (Double check and make absolutely sure you were actually connecting the positive jumper cable to D+ and the negative cable to DF on the generator!)

Earlier in the thread you showed that loose wire, it looks like the other end of that same wire is connected to the frontmost switch on the transmission, is that correct?

If so then I think someone has miswired or swapped two of the switches on your transmission.

Take a look at these photos (this is a spare autostick tranny I have):

Driver's side:

Passenger side:

Note that the neutral safety switch on these autosticks is on the driver's side of the transmission, so that wire should not go there-- plus the wires that connect to the neutral safety switch should be red or red/black (for the starter signal) and brown (for the ground.)

Looking at the above picture of the other (passenger) side of the transmission, you will see the backup light switch and the temperature selector switch. Your wire appears to be coming off of the switch in the temperature selector switch spot, BUT that switch should have three wires connected to it, while the reverse light switch to the left is supposed to only have two. But looking at your photo it appears these switches may have gotten swapped. And for some reason it appears there is a wire connected between these two switches which is incorrect.

The temperature selector switch should have connected to it the 2 wires coming from the gear temperature switches up by the bell housing (again see photo above) and then the third wire connected to that switch runs across the transmission and up through the drivers side floor pan right alongside the starter wire, into a double connector under the driver's side rear seat (if you remove the rear seat you'll see it-- lower right in this picture):

From there it runs up through the main wiring harness to the ATF temperature warning light in your speedometer. To my knowledge none of these wires should be black- the ATF temperature light wire should be blue/red, and the gear temp switch wires should be a light tan. That isn't to say though that someone replaced one of those wires at some point.

The reverse light switch wires ARE black, and the return signal wire would have that spade style connector on the other end where it returns back into the engine bay, where it connects into a 1-2 connector that sends signal out to both reverse lights:

My only issue with that idea is that that wire doesn't appear long enough to go back into the engine bay, even if the switch that it is connected to on the other end is the reverse light switch that is supposed to be in the spot further back on the transmission.

Anyway hope some of this helps you figure some stuff out.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor

Last edited by sb001 on Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:42 am; edited 2 times in total
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 12v voltage regulator test Reply with quote

yes, I double checked the positive to D+ and Negative to DF a couple times.
I was good there. With the generator being dead, I think it's time to drop the engine and get it cleaned up and parts in place as they should be. Once it's out, I'll then tinker with the wiring that you are speaking of and trace it all out. Certainly would like to know this runs before tearing apart, but it is what it is. My friend is aware of where we stand, so I will begin.
Thank you for the photos of the transmission.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: 12v voltage regulator test Reply with quote

Sounds good, let me know if I can help out with anything regarding the engine removal (since it's an autostick there are a few additional things you have to disconnect), or post any more photos that will help you out.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: 12v voltage regulator test Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Sounds good, let me know if I can help out with anything regarding the engine removal (since it's an autostick there are a few additional things you have to disconnect), or post any more photos that will help you out.

I will certainly do that! thank you for the assistance.
I do see a few things that are different. Thanks to the Bentley manual, they mention it there too Smile
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v voltage regulator test Reply with quote

Looks like my friend wants me to proceed. When it comes to a new 12v generator, is there a decent generator on the market that isn't junk? Is there anything special I need to look for, or is a 12v generator a 12v generator regardless?

I saw some on JBUGS, and CIP1 and I can't tell a difference. It lists the year it fits, so I assume that's what I'd look for. Yes?
johneliot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v voltage regulator test Reply with quote

Do you have a shop that will rebuild the one you have? That’s the best option.

There is no distinctly American criminal class - except Congress.
Mark Twain

69 bug - "The Grey Ghost"
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v voltage regulator test Reply with quote

well....good question. Who would typically do that? It's not a normal auto shop, is it?

Does anyone on here offer that service?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v voltage regulator test Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:
well....good question. Who would typically do that? It's not a normal auto shop, is it?

Auto electric shop

Electric motor rebuilder

In the old days, we would use genuine "rebuilt by Bosch" generators and starters, different than a Bosch unit that was rebuilt ! I don't know if such is available these days, know my two VWs have those from decades ago....
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v voltage regulator test Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:
Looks like my friend wants me to proceed. When it comes to a new 12v generator, is there a decent generator on the market that isn't junk? Is there anything special I need to look for, or is a 12v generator a 12v generator regardless?

Most of what you will find are rebuilt generators. So getting your current generator rebuilt is probably the best option.
Many FLAPS will sell you a rebuilt generator with a Lifetime warranty. My only suggestion would be to have them bench test the generator before you walk out the door. Last thing you want to do is spend a few hours installing the generator only to find out you got a lemon. Sure the FLAPS will replace it for free, but you can't get back all those hours you spent pulling out the dud, waiting the day to get another new one and installing the 2nd new alternator back on the engine. Unfortunately, generator R&R on a T1 is not a 20min job.

I think I mentioned previously that your buddy has a rather rare '67-'68 early 12v generator with the push on terminals. Do not exchange it as a core. You can probably get more selling it in the classified to someone restoring their '68. If it come down to it I'll buy it from you for the cost of the core (around $30 last I checked). Wink
I hate to see good rebuild-able parts being thrown into the core/recycle market when they have greater value to those that want them.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: