Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AC Cut out in engine bay T2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: AC Cut out in engine bay T2 Reply with quote

To link to this thread
Code:
[url=https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683410&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=]AC Cut out in engine bay T2[/url]

In order for the Air conditioner (AC) compressor to be installed a portion of the Left side of the engine bay, needed to be cut out.
1972 VW Campmobile Air Conditioner Installation Instructions
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

AC cut out delete.

eche_bus wrote:
Exhaust / Heating / Cooling Overhaul Part XVIII (man, I'm losing track Rolling Eyes )- A/C cutout fix and new Engine Foam Seal

It's been a while since posting as I'd seemed unable to finish any one task. Just kept running into problems here and there and kept hopping from project to project trying to keep the work from stalling. So finally it all pretty much came together and I'm back to give ya a look.

A/C Compressor Cutout Fix
When I last left off, I showed you a funny-looking thing made out of cardboard. That was a mock-up of a metal part that would cover this ugly hole that was once poorly covered by a PO's handiwork:

Disclaimer: I know nothing of metal work and it shows. Embarassed But given enough time, even monkeys can write Shakespear, right?

The focus was function, not cosmetics. This would be a temporary fix, nothing more. I sealed the joints and rivets with body seam sealer. Ugly, but functional.

Here it is in place, all sealed up. It follows the contours of the engine tin and does a good job keeping the engine heat down below where it belongs. Down the road, with the engine out, it can be replaced by a properly welded piece from a donor bus.

New Engine Foam Seal
Now that the A/C cutout was covered, I could finally replace the old deteriorating engine tin seal. Here's the new one:

Installation went pretty well (yes, smooth side down and split aligned center front), and it was even a little longer than needed so I could trim to the exact length. Here's a closeup showing the profile:

At long last, the A/C cutout hole was covered AND sealed by the new Engine Foam Seal! Smile
Busman1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: AC Cut out in engine bay T2 Reply with quote

So glad I seen this. I have the same cut out on my 74 bus which had the dealership air installed in it, and I have been trying to figure out why that metal was missing. Now I know why, my bus when I bought it had all the lines for ac but no compressor or anything so it wasn't obvious. I have been trying to find a donor bus to get the metal off of but may go the route you went and make my own.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: AC Cut out in engine bay T2 Reply with quote

My '74 has the same cut out and it came with a plastic delete piece specifically created as a cut out delete piece. I'll dig it up and take a pic. This would be a perfect candidate for something to 3-d print.
'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
78BusGA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: AC Cut out in engine bay T2 Reply with quote

I have the dealer installed AC as well, compressor still there.

There is a great thread, very detailed, of a guy who installed his AC unit in the same area, but made brackets for it to sit a few inches lower to conserve/replace the cooling metal. Quite tempted to see if the plans fot those parts are available from him.

If I find that thread I will post the link.

Found!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Tom H.

My '74 Super 1303 thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=764902&start=60

My '78 Kombi Bus thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=769385&highlight=

'72 Superbeetle (retired), '78 Bus Kombi 2.0FI, '74 1303 Superbeetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: AC Cut out in engine bay T2 Reply with quote

Jake Raby made a system at one time, I think he worked with Gilmore in Florida who installs bay A/C's to mount it under the engine without cutting the body

https://www.gilmore-enterprises.net/inc/sdetail/ai...it/135/170

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: AC Cut out in engine bay T2 Reply with quote

Here’s a bit from rmy 72 for repairing the AC cutout
Ceckert64 wrote:
Got back to metal work. I started getting the repair pieces cut out to repair where the dealer cut it up and destroyed it to install the AC. I used the frame member from the chunk I cut out of a bus to repair the right corner. It worked out perfect and saved me some bending and was the right gauge.
Before

Cutting apart the frame piece

And the piece fitted up. By luck the one hole in the piece lined up perfectly with the original. An original chunk of a 72 above the piece. I still have a piece I have to make that goes on the main frame member and that is why there is a gap. You can see on the original piece how it should extend

Ceckert64 wrote:

Finally getting back to actually working on the bus. I finished fixing the rear corner of the frame where it was hacked out for the AC. I also got the battery tray installed

Here’s the last piece set in. I still need to trim it.

“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: AC Cut out in engine bay T2 Reply with quote

Eliminating the hump is an easy way to go. Your repair piece is not just a flat piece trimmed to fit

and the left rear 411/412 style corner tin has no serious forming.

Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: AC Cut out in engine bay T2 Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Eliminating the hump is an easy way to go. Your repair piece is not just a flat piece trimmed to fit

and the left rear 411/412 style corner tin has no serious forming.

Does that method remove the VIN number? That seems like a particularly bad idea.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: AC Cut out in engine bay T2 Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Does that method remove the VIN number? That seems like a particularly bad idea.

Yes, it does remove the vin number. Someone ripped out my vin on that piece from the AC but luckily they left it with the bus.
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: AC Cut out in engine bay T2 Reply with quote

Lind wrote:

In the case of the van shown, the VIN number disappeared way earlier as part of the butchering to put in the AC unit. Also since the VIN number shows up elsewhere on the vehicle I don't find it to be that big of a deal.
InnerHippie24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: AC Cut out in engine bay T2 Reply with quote

coming across this is garsh sent . i just purchesed a 1973 vw t2 and it had ac. but now i need a new compressor cause previ owner took it out . just hoping the lines and such are still good..

thanks for the PDF my dude. Smile Very Happy Very Happy
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: AC Cut out in engine bay T2 Reply with quote

InnerHippie24 wrote:
coming across this is garsh sent . i just purchesed a 1973 vw t2 and it had ac. but now i need a new compressor cause previ owner took it out . just hoping the lines and such are still good..

thanks for the PDF my dude. Smile Very Happy Very Happy

it was removed years ago, and is not all that it needs. unless lines were plugged, they need replaced. just a guess. good luck.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: