Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

tandem rear?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: tandem rear? Reply with quote

anyone ever build or see a buggy with tandem rear?
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: tandem rear? Reply with quote

Tandem rear, you mean like a "dually" dual tires on each rear side? I saw a picture of one, once

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: tandem rear? Reply with quote

no not dually, tandem...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: tandem rear? Reply with quote

Back when I was a kid Dad was buddies with our neighborhood welding shop owner, Frank Dietz. The two of them built a similar thing out of an old English Ford Prefect. It was a little 4 cylinder car, they cut the body off at the A pillar leaving the windshield in tact, lengthened the frame, added a second transmission and two more idler wheels to each side. Then they made tracks out of flat belt and small U channel iron to go around the wheels.

It worked ok but lacked steering authority so the next plan was to build skiis for the front and steering brakes for the rear but some hunter came along and had to have it as was at offered a price they couldn't refuse.

I have been kicking this idea around for my sand rail for hunting and winter use. The easy way is to adapt the tracks made for side by sides but after pricing them out it would be a luxury beyond my budget!

Some day in the future when I get other projects caught up I intend to do a home made track setup similar to that one Dad and Frank did but with just one wheel ahead of the rear driver.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: tandem rear? Reply with quote

I see the second axle as just a idler as the easy way out. Leave the original as the drivers.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: tandem rear? Reply with quote

well I wasn't really meaning to ask about tracks just posted those pics because that's the best I had of a tandem axle, I should've figured the tracks would become a topic just because they'd be what I talked about too! heh heh

I just saw a tracked rail for sale on skeezbay, I saved some pics and I'll post them later
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: