Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

KEP and RLR black magic disc
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: KEP and RLR black magic disc Reply with quote

Some guys just get lucky with there setups , maybe it’s there driving style or they are just over estimating there engine horse power .
To many people just read something and do it without any testing of there own . Guaranteed your flywheel depth ect is not the same as the others .
Stop guessing and buy or make the tools you need and learn . Perform a clutch breakaway test . Shim it and learn and see the difference. Note all your info and test it . If it works great if it doesn’t you will know what you need to do , more or less breakaway.
So get out there and make a investment in your knowledge instead of wasting money on too many failed guesses and others recommend combos.
KROC head porting services
Dialedinperformance.com
Airspeedparts.com topic http://airspeedparts.com/forums/index.php?topic=914.0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stealth67vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: KEP and RLR black magic disc Reply with quote

2000 with driver street car with a 215hp N/A 2276. Kennedy stage 1 and an RLR Super 7 180mm black magic disc. I tried the stage 1 with a Ace Copperhead and got 6 passes before it was toast. I have 120+ passes on the RLR disc so far.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

7.76 @ 89.55mph 1/8 mile
12.34 and 108.10 mph 1/4 mile
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58ragman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: KEP and RLR black magic disc Reply with quote

stealth67vw wrote:
2000 with driver street car with a 215hp N/A 2276. Kennedy stage 1 and an RLR Super 7 180mm black magic disc. I tried the stage 1 with a Ace Copperhead and got 6 passes before it was toast. I have 120+ passes on the RLR disc so far.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks for chiming in
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: KEP and RLR black magic disc Reply with quote

what I don't understand about the Black Magic and other sintered disks is: Why are they so thick and heavy? Fine for "dog shift" boxes, but not for street use.
Their weight is what makes them hard on syncros and slows shifting speeds.

Why don't they make them thinner (so the don't need shimmed, and weigh so much).

Oh yeah, a Kennedy 4-puck is just that... Lightweight, correct thickness, and has the bite you want.

The other street clutch I really like is the "dual friction" disk. They are smooth as stock. No chatter. don't tear up flywheels.

thickness should always be measured and checked.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: KEP and RLR black magic disc Reply with quote

How is a 4 puck for driving in traffic? I bought the black magic for holding ability. I don't know for sure the limit of the dual friction disk. I had one, and my rear main leaked and oiled it down. If i remember right it was around 235 ft/lbs on the break-away test. I know it held a bit more than that for me, but i felt it was on the edge of not holding anymore.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: KEP and RLR black magic disc Reply with quote

Had a chineese 4 puck, same one every one sells with a stage 3 shimed, was very drivable,, too drivable, wasted it in 2 passes, tried another, 2 passes. had 3 of them lined by a local friction shop and What the Hell! these things are violent!!!! Hardest hooking clutch I have ever used! Changed to a KEP 4 puck and seems much nicer.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: