Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Holley Sniper Conversions.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

Paul.H wrote:
Quote:
It just pains me when the purists get on and lowball this set-up...
#1, because they have never used it
#2, too stubborn to use it
#3, too lazy to do research and figure out even the BASICS of FI
#4, can't get off the mother's tit of carburetors to move on..lol

Who's that aimed at ?

Us I think.

Pretty bold to assume that we fit into 1 of 4 categories ...

Maybe I am a Purist.
But also a realist.

I'm all for FI setups. Just haven't seen one that is easier to setup/tune than a carb.

thus the reason I am following this topic.
Seems like we are real close to having a turn-key system that the average person can install and maintain.

I have seen too many systems abandoned due to complexity and troubleshooting.

Seen drag motors destroyed due to FI issues.

Watched a guy struggle for years trying to get his megasquirt working right on his street car.
Burned a bunch of pistons along the way. Went back to carbs and never looked back.

those kinds of stories make me shy away.

But, I am glad that folks are making progress. I am very interested.
I just want to see more systems with independent throttle bodies and direct port injection. (like CB sells).
That will have all the nice things that FI can bring.
And it can make more HP too..
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

Ohio Tom wrote:
Paul.H wrote:
Quote:

Who's that aimed at ?

Us I think.

Maybe I am a Purist.
But also a realist.

I'm all for FI setups. Just haven't seen one that is easier to setup/tune than a carb.

Seems like we are real close to having a turn-key system that the average person can install and maintain.

Watched a guy struggle for years trying to get his megasquirt working right on his street car.
Burned a bunch of pistons along the way. Went back to carbs and never looked back.

I just want to see more systems with independent throttle bodies and direct port injection. (like CB sells).

Not sure which of the 4 I'm in so maybe we should get one of those hot shot Holley tech boys on here to spell it out for us
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

Not sure where I fit in either Rolling Eyes
Like I have said several times now, these systems, - like the above, is STILL only an "electronic carb" basicly like the ones used in the early 90 to about 2000 in production vehicles, but with a significantly better software (Semi programmable) In siuch set ups like the above, I am sure it can work allright, - to well, AS LONG as you are using it in fair weather. Try driving it on a frosty morning and you will soon experience what I say and have said.

I wish I had more time, energy and money. Then I would take a month off and finish my self teaching port injected plug & play system that will work in any weather and support up to about 95 or 130 hp, dependant on version, still with only one TB.
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

Had a quick look on farcebook at the Sniper groups and the first thing I saw was a barrel filling up with fuel above the butterfly due to a failed injector and then a guy with a nice 71 Challenger stating he was getting 9mpg with a carb and only 6mpg with the Sniper Laughing
I get a feeling that this whole thing is made in China using $3 injectors and other cheap components and then they let the customer do the quality control
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

Ohio Tom wrote:
Paul.H wrote:
Quote:

Who's that aimed at ?

Us I think.

Maybe I am a Purist.
But also a realist.

Tom I know of 3 people who had HiPo motors built who proceeded to start them up without any oil-is this the fault of the oil ?
The biggest grenade engines I saw were Holley draw through turbo set ups
User error is king in the demolition derby
Chadabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

Paul.H wrote:
Had a quick look on farcebook at the Sniper groups and the first thing I saw was a barrel filling up with fuel above the butterfly due to a failed injector and then a guy with a nice 71 Challenger stating he was getting 9mpg with a carb and only 6mpg with the Sniper Laughing
I get a feeling that this whole thing is made in China using $3 injectors and other cheap components and then they let the customer do the quality control

I would be willing to bet any amount of $$, that if you find ANY pages about Holley carburetors.....The #'s of issues would be astounding, and relentlessly fussing about flooding, stalling, breaking, jetting, ect..ect..ect..
Way more than the #'s of sniper systems. And when you go to FB, guaranteed, that is all you will see is the negative posts. All the 1000's of good ones are riding and smiling. And the ones who are getting horrible fuel mileage, are the ones who improperly set them up, and or tried to tune or adjust something they didn't know about, causing the issues at hand. That is about 70% of the issues to start. I'm not saying parts will fail, issues will arise. But carburetors in their whole, have just as many, or more issues. I have 2 brand new ones in my shop and an OG one, that I NEVER EVER got one successful drive on them, without a fuel related issue, and I have been tuning and rebuilding carbs for 25+ years.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

I have a food truck friend that has a converted snap-on topkick food truck. It has a 454 and he was getting 6mpg and switching to a sniper system. I can wait to hear the results. Just haven’t worked along side him since. Keep in mind, he apparently had some carb issues before the conversion. And this truck is huge!
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

Well I must of done something right,,, free carb, about $300 for the intake
28 mpg and goes fast too Laughing
680 Vacuum secondary Quick fuel Holley Draw threw turbo
Heated intake from Ron Lummus Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
Well I must of done something right,,, free carb, about $300 for the intake
28 mpg and goes fast too Laughing
680 Vacuum secondary Quick fuel Holley Draw threw turbo
Heated intake from Ron Lummus Wink

** English Joke Warning**

Mike
Even a blind man can hit the dart board now and again
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

Well Bite me Paul Razz Laughing , I'm gonna go buy a Lotto ticket ,,cuz this set up worked on the 2074 cc plus the 2276cc & 2180cc Razz
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

I was just looking on holley's website the other day for fuel pumps and got to looking at the sniper efi, which I do think would be more accurately termed tbi. but I gotta say that for the price it does seem to offer a lot especially for someone who may not be ready to jump straight into full efi.
I thought it was cool that it has both a simple tuning display pad and the capability to tune more in depth with your laptop. and also has timing map as well...
I still have to do more research but they have a setup that's supposed to be a jeep carb replacement, and a lot of the jeeps used to run weber 32/36 or 38/38 carbs. so if this sniper is meant to replace those on jeeps they'd be a direct bolt on for the single center mount vw intake too.
I dunno, I'm kicking it around for my Baja. I'd drive it daily but it's cold natured at first and I'm getting old enough I don't feel like dickin with it early in the morning, it's easier to jump in my truck and go on down the road. but I'm thinking if the sniper can adjust for air temps so it starts and idles better until the engine reaches operating temp and still perform as well as the carb , I'd be tickled pink.
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
Chadabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

richardcraineum wrote:
I was just looking on holley's website the other day for fuel pumps and got to looking at the sniper efi, which I do think would be more accurately termed tbi. but I gotta say that for the price it does seem to offer a lot especially for someone who may not be ready to jump straight into full efi.
I thought it was cool that it has both a simple tuning display pad and the capability to tune more in depth with your laptop. and also has timing map as well...
I still have to do more research but they have a setup that's supposed to be a jeep carb replacement, and a lot of the jeeps used to run weber 32/36 or 38/38 carbs. so if this sniper is meant to replace those on jeeps they'd be a direct bolt on for the single center mount vw intake too.
I dunno, I'm kicking it around for my Baja. I'd drive it daily but it's cold natured at first and I'm getting old enough I don't feel like dickin with it early in the morning, it's easier to jump in my truck and go on down the road. but I'm thinking if the sniper can adjust for air temps so it starts and idles better until the engine reaches operating temp and still perform as well as the carb , I'd be tickled pink.

Mine, def takes a few minutes to adjust to cooler temps. But...It still fires right up every time, and runs richer for the 1st 3 or 4 miles till my operating temp reaches 160*
But....ultimately hands over feet above carbs
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

Quote:

that's easy https://thedubshop.com/

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

Chadabear wrote:
richardcraineum wrote:

Mine, def takes a few minutes to adjust to cooler temps. But...It still fires right up every time, and runs richer for the 1st 3 or 4 miles till my operating temp reaches 160*
But....ultimately hands over feet above carbs

you mentioned operating temp reaching 160, I believe that normally that temp sensor for the sniper is supposed to be water temp isn't it?
and if so, that was one of my questions is what would a person do when putting the sniper on an air-cooled engine? run the sensor in the oil instead ? and wouldn't the oil temps be hotter than coolant temps on a water cooled engine and would the sniper ecm try to adjust for what it thinks is an over heated engine?
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

richardcraineum wrote:
you mentioned operating temp reaching 160, I believe that normally that temp sensor for the sniper is supposed to be water temp isn't it?
and if so, that was one of my questions is what would a person do when putting the sniper on an air-cooled engine? run the sensor in the oil instead ? and wouldn't the oil temps be hotter than coolant temps on a water cooled engine and would the sniper ecm try to adjust for what it thinks is an over heated engine?

Just run it where Mario runs them.

https://thedubshop.com/modified-coolant-temp-sensor/
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

Megasquirt has the ability to run an extended CLT temperature limit.

I would hazard a guess that any decent ECU would have the ability to set your own warm up enrichment and cold start enrichment.
MS2 has at least three tabs for starting and warmup. You can set whatever temperature you want to end the enrichment based on CLT and/or time based by engine cycles and more.
You can also adjust timing and enrichment if it gets over whatever temp you feel is too warm.
It's up to the driver to decide how long the engine needs enrichment depending on what his state of tune is in. It's all about drivability.

Oil temp enrichment adjustments are too slow on an aircooled engine and it is better to take a reading off the cooling tin bolt on top of the head.
That position is not for reading head temp but only for referencing warm up and cold start.....at which it works really good there.

That is not to say you can't monitor head temp trends using that sensor since you can log whenever you want and can go back and watch the trends at idle, cruise and full throttle pulls to see what is a normal range.
You can also see trends on what AFR and timing have as an effect on CLT by logging with different settings.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

Most thermistor temp sensors are maxed at 150deg C so can't be used for overheat protection so other than warm up they ain't much use and most likely the Holley is supplied with a large 3/8 NPT sensor which could be screwed into the rocker box area
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Not sure where I fit in either Rolling Eyes
Like I have said several times now, these systems, - like the above, is STILL only an "electronic carb" basicly like the ones used in the early 90 to about 2000 in production vehicles, but with a significantly better software (Semi programmable) In siuch set ups like the above, I am sure it can work allright, - to well, AS LONG as you are using it in fair weather. Try driving it on a frosty morning and you will soon experience what I say and have said.

Speaking of this, I often see the weather related issues cited as the main thing to avoid on these setups. Is this something that could be reasonably mitigated by using some sort of warm air intake that was thermostatically controlled, like in the stock oil bath air cleaners, or early watercooled cars? Maybe if one were to gut an OEM aircleaner, enlarge the inlet, and use all of the correct thermo controls it may work. Might be easier on a bus or ghia with the extra room to run a remote aircleaner.

I still say I want one TB over each head though Cool

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

for what its worth the holley coolant temp sensor that's included sucks. it isn't accurate say at 100 degrees. a few pages back I put up some alternitive part #'s - the Standard Motor Products TX3 sensor is a direct better replacement

richardcraineum - see this sniper set up ready for vw motors https://www.red-emotorsports.com/holley-sniper-efi-for-your-vw
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Sniper Conversions. Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:

Speaking of this, I often see the weather related issues cited as the main thing to avoid on these setups. Is this something that could be reasonably mitigated by using some sort of warm air intake that was thermostatically controlled, like in the stock oil bath air cleaners, or early watercooled cars? Maybe if one were to gut an OEM aircleaner, enlarge the inlet, and use all of the correct thermo controls it may work. Might be easier on a bus or ghia with the extra room to run a remote aircleaner.

I am sure it can be done, at least to an extent, just as well as with a carb. The now semi old OEM sgl point injection systems almost all had massive amounts of cooling water flowing through the manifold as well as giant cold weather intakes over the exhaust manifold. Some of these vehicles did´nt run that well from factory. I have been involved in several modifications to the air intake, to increase intake air temperature to get the engine to run well. sometimes a couple of degrrees higher intake temp made the world of a difference, sometimes it took a 10 degree increase along with tampering with the ignition timing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 12

Jump to: