Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1962 Canadian standard floor mat colour?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Canadian standard floor mat colour? Reply with quote

I bought the car from the second owner in 2006. She had bought it from the original owner in 1965 to drive her children to school in. She stopped driving it in 1997 when her dementia started. It survived 38 Winnipeg winters. I found it in 2004 but it took a couple of years to finally get my hands on it. I spent several months and several thousand dollars getting it back on the road. At some point she had taken it to a body shop to get the rust fixed and they butchered the shit out of the poor car. Nowhere did they cut any rust out, they just put a patch over top and smoothed it out with body filler. I drove it for 13 years but the bad repairs were starting to come apart so the car needed to be completely blown apart, all the bad repairs cut out and re-repaired correctly. This far exceeded my budget and the value of the car so the decision was made to pass it on to the next caretaker.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1959-volkswagen-beetle-6/

Don
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Canadian standard floor mat colour? Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
I bought the car from the second owner in 2006. She had bought it from the original owner in 1965 to drive her children to school in. She stopped driving it in 1997 when her dementia started. It survived 38 Winnipeg winters. I found it in 2004 but it took a couple of years to finally get my hands on it. I spent several months and several thousand dollars getting it back on the road. At some point she had taken it to a body shop to get the rust fixed and they butchered the shit out of the poor car. Nowhere did they cut any rust out, they just put a patch over top and smoothed it out with body filler. I drove it for 13 years but the bad repairs were starting to come apart so the car needed to be completely blown apart, all the bad repairs cut out and re-repaired correctly. This far exceeded my budget and the value of the car so the decision was made to pass it on to the next caretaker.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1959-volkswagen-beetle-6/

Don

I see what you mean. Still, you had enjoyed it for 13 years.
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Canadian standard floor mat colour? Reply with quote

Gents,

Check out the brochure on The Samba, at:
Archives / Literature / Type 3 /Brochures 1961 - 1967 / 1963 / Full Line.

This is a Canadian-only brochure, and it looks to be from 1962, not 1963. (In 1963 the Beetle hood crest was dropped, and the Type 3 was no longer new, having been around for a year)

Unless I'm colorblind, in this brochure is a picture of a Turquoise Canadian 1200 Custom.

With the introduction of the "VW 1500 Sedan" (Notchback) in Canada, the "Canadian Custom" began to be referred to as the "Canadian 1200 Custom" to help differentiate the Beetle from its new larger-engined stablemate.

Getting back on point........IMO the mats in the OP's car should most likely be black.
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Canadian standard floor mat colour? Reply with quote

Couldn’t get the link to work but here is the pic from the Canadian brochure. As far as the Wolfsburg hood crest on the deluxe goes, it was used on the early ‘63’s. It was dropped in October of 1962 at chassis # 5 010 448.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Canadian standard floor mat colour? Reply with quote

So have we established that turquoise was available as a colour for Canadian custom in 1962?

Don
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Canadian standard floor mat colour? Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
So have we established that turquoise was available as a colour for Canadian custom in 1962?

Don

Appears to be and also called after at least 1963 a 1200 Custom
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/63canadafullline/page3_4.jpg
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Canadian standard floor mat colour? Reply with quote

I have a copy of the Canadian brochure, and had another look. It turns out that the brochure is indeed for the 1963 model year. It mentions that the convertible rear window is now 30% larger, which happened for the 1963 model year. The brochure was of course printed in 1962, when the Beetle still had a hood crest, and when the Notchback still had the early hood emblem that was phased out on 5 Oct 1962.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Canadian standard floor mat colour? Reply with quote

Zwitterkafer wrote:
I have a copy of the Canadian brochure, and had another look. It turns out that the brochure is indeed for the 1963 model year. It mentions that the convertible rear window is now 30% larger, which happened for the 1963 model year. The brochure was of course printed in 1962, when the Beetle still had a hood crest, and when the Notchback still had the early hood emblem that was phased out on 5 Oct 1962.

What was the early type3 hood emblem?
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Canadian standard floor mat colour? Reply with quote

The early Type 3 hood emblem was a VW sign stamped out of thin alloy, and had a slightly larger diameter than the '63 to '69 version that followed. The latter was smaller with sharper edges, had a 113 part number, and appeared to be cast instead of stamped.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Canadian standard floor mat colour? Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
Zwitterkafer wrote:

Early on left

Better view of early one

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Canadian standard floor mat colour? Reply with quote

Please use this forum for type three discussion:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=6

Don
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Canadian standard floor mat colour? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Helfen wrote:
Zwitterkafer wrote:

Early on left

Better view of early one

Thanks EverettB! Now for the question of the day. Who designed that VW logo, and what two other things did he designed for Porsche?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: