Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

12v voltage regulator test
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v voltage regulator test Reply with quote

thanks for the info. I'm doing a little digging locally to see if anyone near me can do it. I'll see what I find. It's certainly not holding me up now. I'll drop the engine and proceed cleaning it up and getting it in good running condition. I wish I could test it before reinstalling later, but that can't happen. hopefully i won't have to do an install more than once.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v voltage regulator test Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
Most of what you will find are rebuilt generators. So getting your current generator rebuilt is probably the best option.
Many FLAPS will sell you a rebuilt generator with a Lifetime warranty. My only suggestion would be to have them bench test the generator before you walk out the door.

I suggest that you polarize that rebuilt generator/run as a motor a few seconds BEFORE you install it onto the engine. That's what I did for a generator I had that had been unused a decade.

There are brand-new Bosch generators available, don't know where they are made though. $229 at JBugs https://www.jbugs.com/product/GR15N.html
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 12v voltage regulator test Reply with quote

I decided to buy the generator bushings, to at least rule out the cheapest possible fix.Removed the old, and put the new in the same way, and tried to polarize the generator. This time while testing it, once I had the D+ terminal connected to the battery, and the DF terminal connected the negative side of the battery, I got a click, or a deep tap in doing so. Prior to this I got nothing. Although the generator did not spin, I did get a noise.

What is this telling me?

Here are some photos after removing the shaft

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: 12v voltage regulator test Reply with quote

after cleaning the armature and checking with an ohm meter, the armature tests out fine. so this leads me to an issue with the generator housing. I removed the terminal block on the generator which houses the D+ and DF terminals. they definitely need cleaned up. When it comes to testing the internal windings of the housing, how do I do that? Can it only be done by the two terminals?
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 12v voltage regulator test Reply with quote

I was going to start a new thread for the wiring portion of this thread, but since it was already discussed here on page 2 of this thread, I'll continue from here.

to give a run down of where I am on the transmission wiring and what i have accounted for.

from the drivers side neutral safety switch - i have a wire coming off this switch and going to the control valve. the second wire goes to the shifter

from the passenger side temperature selector switch - blue wire goes up through the floor board into the back seat area. the second wire goes to the gear temperature sensors.

from the passenger side back up light switch - i have a wire, which has an inline fuse, going to the positive side of the ignition coil.

from what i can see, i am missing a home for two wires, maybe.

first one, this was mentioned a ways back in this thread but I don't believe I got a confirmed answer. I have a thin black wire that has a female connector on one end that stops near the starter area. the other end of this wire goes back to the battery but was cut at some point. It has never been connected since I put my eyes on it. Not sure if it needs to be there or if it needs to be hooked to something.

second wire, there is a wire loom that comes from the drivers side, that has a red wire, and a blue wire in it. the blue wire goes to the temperature selector switch. the red wire has a female connector on it, but I don;t know where it connects to in the engine compartment.

Is there anything I am missing, or maybe failed to reconnect during the reassembly?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: