Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 Super Beetle not idling
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IkeD6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: 73 Super Beetle not idling Reply with quote

Recently just replaced my generator with an alternator on my super beetle. Completed today, everything seemed to be running fine now the car is dying when idling... when I give it gas it stays on my as soon as I release the gas it will just putter until it dies, thinking maybe something to do with carb but not sure.

If anyone could let me know any possible fixes that would be great
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle not idling Reply with quote

Is the idle fuel cut out solenoid disconnected?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
IkeD6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle not idling Reply with quote

It is connected
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle not idling Reply with quote

At both ends? Does the solenoid make a click noise if you pull off the connector with the key in the on RUN position and the motor not running?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
IkeD6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle not idling Reply with quote

Both ends connected. Heard a click but is that not something else? Pulled off the connector and the motor still turned and started but died on idle when I release any gas
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle not idling Reply with quote

Was it idling fine before the swap?
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IkeD6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle not idling Reply with quote

Yes idling perfect, been trying to troubleshoot lots but still no conclusion on it. Everything seems good and installed properly, when I give it gas it sounds great, just cannot hold an idle. Obviously something not giving it the power to idle, might see what I can do with the carb tomorrow not too sure what else it would be.
IkeD6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle not idling Reply with quote

Also Jimbo I just tested it and it does make a click
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle not idling Reply with quote

The most obvious place to start is to take out the idle jet, same side of the carb as the alternator, as see if something is blocking it. Had it happen.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IkeD6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle not idling Reply with quote

Just checked and nothing blocking it, if I loose the bigger screw beside it will idle… but at very high RPM and, I can’t turn down the idle anymore manually, so the only way it’ll idle right now is a super high rpm
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle not idling Reply with quote

Have you checked your intake boots for vacuum leaks? Or anything else that might cause a vacuum leak?

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
IkeD6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle not idling Reply with quote

Could be a vacuum leak... I just noticed the gasket under the carb is ripped on one of the ends... could that be a factor?
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle not idling Reply with quote

IkeD6 wrote:
Could be a vacuum leak... I just noticed the gasket under the carb is ripped on one of the ends... could that be a factor?

Maybe. But if you didn’t mess with it recently and it was running fine. Maybe not. Probably change that after troubleshooting other possibilities. Be safe when using carb cleaner or propane to detect vacuum leaks. And it may not be a vacuum leak. But easy enough to do while troubleshooting.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle not idling Reply with quote

IkeD6 wrote:

Always fix first what you KNOW is bad.....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle not idling Reply with quote

IkeD6 wrote:
Just checked and nothing blocking it, if I loose the bigger screw beside it will idle… but at very high RPM and, I can’t turn down the idle anymore manually, so the only way it’ll idle right now is a super high rpm

OK wait. You said, "Just checked (the idle jet) and nothing blocking it, if I loose the bigger screw beside ,it will idle… ", There is no big screw beside the idle jet! The big screw is the Bypass screw on the opposite side of the carb from the idle jet, and it sets the idle speed. So yes, if you loosen it the idle goes up.

So how are you attempting to turn down the idle? Hopefully you're not using the Fast Idle Adjuster at the end of the throttle arm. That does NOT adjust the idle!

Check out this article at the bottom of the page "Setting the 34PICT/3 Carburetor" on how to properly set up your carb.

http://www.vw-resource.com/34pict3.html
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IkeD6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle not idling Reply with quote

There are two screws on carb on the right side by the alternator, there’s is one smaller screw and one bigger screw… (my apologies I don’t know what they are…) the car won’t idle unless I spin the bigger screw a couple times but then it idles high… and if I try to use the bypass screw the idle won’t change. I have not touched the fast idle adjuster

So pretty much if I have the carb at the normal tune I’ve always had it revs nice sounds nice but just won’t idle, but if I twist that screw on the right side (again I’m sorry I don’t know what it’s called) it will idle but high and it won’t let me adjust.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle not idling Reply with quote

IkeD6 wrote:
There are two screws on carb on the right side by the alternator, there’s is one smaller screw and one bigger screw… (my apologies I don’t know what they are…) the car won’t idle unless I spin the bigger screw a couple times but then it idles high… and if I try to use the bypass screw the idle won’t change. I have not touched the fast idle adjuster

So pretty much if I have the carb at the normal tune I’ve always had it revs nice sounds nice but just won’t idle, but if I twist that screw on the right side (again I’m sorry I don’t know what it’s called) it will idle but high and it won’t let me adjust.

OK, lets back all the way up. What carb do you have on your engine? I assumed since it was a 73 Super that you were running a 34 PICT 3.

IkeD6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle not idling Reply with quote

Those two screws are the ones I am talking about, the bigger one in right when I loosen allows the car to idle but very high, assuming it allows more air in

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle not idling Reply with quote

OK, looks like you do have a 34 PICT 3 (it will be stamped on the opposite of the carb on the fuel bowl). That bigger screw you're talking about IS the idle jet. It should fit tight, not loose. Is that the one you took out to see if it was clogged? The other side of the carb will have the large Bypass screw (idle speed) and smaller volume control screw(air/fuel ratio) adjusting screws.

Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle not idling Reply with quote

This can be a helpful resource.

http://www.vw-resource.com/34pict3.html
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: