Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cooler Engine
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mickey12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Cooler Engine Reply with quote

I have the following engine set- up

1968 Type 1 converted into a Super Bugger camper. 2021cc engine with a MOFOCO 1776 block. Full flow with CB performance sump. Dual EMPI 44 carbs. Engle w 110. Has a stock dog house cooler. Got this engine from a sand buggy guy and know very little about it.

I need to cool the engine down. If I drop some HP, that’s okay. The plan is to (see photos):
1. Replace the crank pulley with a lager one to increase fan speed. Any suggestions on size?
2. Replace the fan pulley if needed. Is this necessary? What size?
3. Once the pulleys are replaced, then put on a new belt. What size/brand?
4. Install an external oil cooler and fan. (nothing fancy)
• I assume that the outlets on the sump (see arrows) is where I hook-up?
• Which outlet is “out” and which is “in”?
• Don’t know the size of the oil pump, does it matter at this point?
• I want to use JIC fittings with a push-loc swivel nipple for ease of removal.
• Any additional plumbing that needs to be done to make this work?
I just want to cruise around at 60 MPH without melting the engine. The more simple, the better.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Cooler Engine Reply with quote

Forgive me if it normally is and just isn't pictured here.... the bottom half of the engine bay needs to be sealed off so it isnt recycling the hot air coming off the bottom of the engine for 1.

- going back to a stock size pulley will absolutely help.
- Install a filter mount , right now there is no point to your setup and it loops from the oil pump (bottom) to the case. after the filter mount you can mount a thermostat and external cooler if needed ( i recommend doing this in steps so your not throwing money away, most critical is getting the air flow correct with all the right tin in place.
-oil pump Lower square shaped below and behind the pulley is your out line , the case fitting is your in.
-as far as fittings others will chime in... i prefer AN fittings with steel braided hose but others use push loc with great success

-Trevor
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooler Engine Reply with quote

You don’t have any of the engine compartment sealing tins. Your cooling fan is sucking up the hot air the engine farted out. Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooler Engine Reply with quote

Stock fan shroud, all OE factor tin, body to engine seal and stock size pulley.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooler Engine Reply with quote

To the posters above. If you didn't notice. The OP is installing the engine in a Bugger MH,

BTW, Super cool! Cool

OP, it is suggested that you get every cooling tin for your engine. You're gonna need all the help you can to get the engine cooler.
The tins that are currently in place are a little lacking. Get all the parts to help it.
Lower rear tin bits from the cylinder head tins will help direct air around the cooling fins on the heads and cylinders.
A thermostat and flaps will help regulate temps too. That'll take a new fan shroud, or you can modify yours to fit the flap and thermostat.

Industrial lower tins will help direct hot air out from under the engine.

You really need to figure out a way to seal the lower engine bay from the upper area.
Like it's said above. Your are sucking super heated air into your engine cooling system. That's not a good idea, in a heavy vehicle like what the Bugger is.

In this case an oil cooler is likely in order to get as much heat out of the oil as possible.

Are there provisions for engine compartment ventilation on the Bugger?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Nightshift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooler Engine Reply with quote

You may want to consider installing a clamp on the fuel line at the pump first. Or you may not need the cooling tins in the future.
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooler Engine Reply with quote

And remember that thick oil viscosity like 20w50 also makes the engine run hotter than thinner oils.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
mickey12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooler Engine Reply with quote

thanks for the feedback. I'll let you know my plan of action.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooler Engine Reply with quote

I would get the rest of the stock tin in place and then cut some new metal to make the original tin meet up with the sides of the engine compartment. You ideally want it completely sealed. Once you get it trimmed out you can use some universal rubber gasket or foam seal to complete it.

I have to say you have one of the coolest rides on this forum!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooler Engine Reply with quote

Another option would be a rubber boot feeding the fan from elsewhere (fresh cool air), like the dusty condition optioned baywindow trucks used. But I'd still do some tin work around the engine just to keep dirt and puddles from getting it filthy and wet.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: Cooler Engine Reply with quote

Not the right engine for such a vehicle. It has a wind coeficient similar to a barn door. You need loads of torque and power in the lower to mid rpm. That engine works generally frm 300 & up
One of the reasons to why it runs hot is that it is out of its comfortzone
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Cooler Engine Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Not the right engine for such a vehicle. It has a wind coeficient similar to a barn door. You need loads of torque and power in the lower to mid rpm. That engine works generally frm 300 & up
One of the reasons to why it runs hot is that it is out of its comfortzone

Sounds like a Subaru swap to me. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: