Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buggy cover
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gregory92004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Buggy cover Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
What kind of outside car cover are you using for your dune buggies?
Thank you for the help, I can't find any.
Aerindel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy cover Reply with quote

I'm just using a 16x12 tarp, bungeed down at the corners to the frame.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630046
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy cover Reply with quote

In low desert near Borrego Springs, I wouldn't expect much of any cover to stand up to the sun.

A blue Harbor Freight tarp a month old is fading noticeably and getting threadbare in spots in my back yard right now on something my son wanted to cover up. And I'm in the high desert, not the low.

A carport is probably a better choice in the long run. Cost more initially, but how often will you have to replace tarps?
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy cover Reply with quote

Car ports are of little to no value here. The rain and snow come through horizontally and a car port is the first place to fill up. The wind took the doors off my hay shed and it's open small end facing south. Until I get the doors straightened out and back up, the first 50 feet inside is snow drift city!
Gregory92004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy cover Reply with quote

Yeah I was thinking at the carport too, I think it should be the best for the long term.
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy cover Reply with quote

I have multiple vehicles that don’t get driven much and are outside not under roofs. For some reason I never thought about car covers, but I picked up one for my nicest car so it would keep clean. I get tree droppings that leave difficult to remove stains when combined with moisture. Then decided at about $50 a piece I bought covers for 3 other cars and my camper trailer .Seems like a no brainer. I figure they will last a few years. Now I have my baja covered, which is already rusted and messed up any way , but now I can keep it clean and dry at least.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy cover Reply with quote

I tried a tarp and a cover and it just made everything under the cover stay wet and get covered in mildew. Plus, stray cats loved to find their way in under the cover. I built a lean-to onto my shed. And the car stays a lot dryer, even after a big sideways rain.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The cover is now folded up inside my shop. It is a Budge RB-1
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy cover Reply with quote

Check out these tarps made from old billboards...

https://www.billboardvinyls.com/collections/all?nb...0Tarpaulin

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: