Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Big Bore '40hp' build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: My Big Bore '40hp' build Reply with quote

Its been a while since I posted! (Divorce and life rebuilding has been a set back)

I'll post some photos when I get chance; but I've got the engine in and all the plumbing and wiring completed.
jasengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: My Big Bore '40hp' build Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I didn't use this CSP breather box in the end as it was too big to fit between the fan housing and firewall.

Original style 15' steel wheel 5.5, with 195x65 tyre
jasengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: My Big Bore '40hp' build Reply with quote

MOMO steering wheel fits nicely!
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My Big Bore '40hp' build Reply with quote

What diameter wheel is that? It looks like a great fit.

What seats!? They look great!!!

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jasengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My Big Bore '40hp' build Reply with quote

The wheel is a MOMO copy I think. 350mm diameter with an MOMO boss adapter.

Seats are Cobra classic bucket.

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My Big Bore '40hp' build Reply with quote

Have you been able to finish up the engine hookups/exhaust and finally take this beastie for a drive?
jasengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My Big Bore '40hp' build Reply with quote

Not yet. Front wheels and tyres need putting on, tracking needs sorting out front and rear and there is one wing and rear quarter panel to sand and paint.
Engine is all complete and ready to run Very Happy
jasengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: My Big Bore '40hp' build Reply with quote

Small update:
The passenger seat is non-tilting (long story!) so I have modified the subframe so it can tilt...

Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My Big Bore '40hp' build Reply with quote

Those hinges look great! Did you do them yourself?

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jasengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: My Big Bore '40hp' build Reply with quote

The hinges are stainless steel pin hinges. I cut them down and drilled out the holes to suit the M6 and M8 bolts I'm using.
I'm fitting rubber buffered between the two frame to take the weight off the hinges etc.
I'll post some more pics when complete.
jasengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: My Big Bore '40hp' build Reply with quote

Passenger seat complete!

jasengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: My Big Bore '40hp' build Reply with quote

5.5" steel wheel with 175x65 R15 tyres

jasengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: My Big Bore '40hp' build Reply with quote

Soon be on the road...

W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: My Big Bore '40hp' build Reply with quote

nice job on the seats Applause

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
jasengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: My Big Bore '40hp' build Reply with quote

First engine run:

Link
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: My Big Bore '40hp' build Reply with quote

Bravo! Cool Cool
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: My Big Bore '40hp' build Reply with quote

Great progress man! Loving it so far.

jasengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: My Big Bore '40hp' build Reply with quote

Its on the road!! 🥳 Sounds awesome. I can't believe the twin 40 Dellortos work so well on this 1470cc setup (ok, so they have 28mm venturi's). The timing is a bit questionable at the moment. I thinks its set right at 7.5deg BTDC with the gun, but its using the original 1200 vac advance distributor. I need to do some more test runs...
It will need a heavy duty clutch pressure plate too, as it slips if I shift from 2nd to 3rd with a bit of a heavy right foot!
I will get a better video up some time.
I'm taking it easy on the throttle at the moment (3000rpm ish max), as it needs running in, but there is plenty there: I don't think it will have any problem doing 70...80...mph+
One strange thing that I did not know about was the VDO tacho was out quite a bit.: Luckily there is a small adjusting screw in the back, so it can be trimmed to the correct rpm, which I took a reference off the timing light.
Handling is night and day difference to what it was originally. I can throw it into a roundabout with very little body roll and positive feel in what its doing. I lowered the rear one outer spline and the front has sway-away adjusters. GAZ adjustable shocks all round; which I can experiment with the settings.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My Big Bore '40hp' build Reply with quote

Might need to go to a mechanical or SVDA type distributor. To still look the part maybe go to the 040 (VJU4BR8) cast iron SVDA- it has the same mechanical curve as the 019 with an adjustable vacuum advance:

The vacuum only unit you're running now wont fully advance as intended as the dells give a much different vac signature than the stock carb.

jasengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: My Big Bore '40hp' build Reply with quote

I like the idea of the adjustable vac advance; I could dial in exactly what the engine runs best on.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: