Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Does anyone remember "German Auto Salvage" in El Monte, CA
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Does anyone remember "German Auto Salvage" in El Monte, CA Reply with quote

Growing up in Southern California, I remember there were several VW yards around to get parts from when I got my first bug in 1983. I ran across this set of photos from "Richard Guillis" entitled "Automobiles that I have known" that appear to be family photos from Southern California dating back to the 50s. This shorty deluxe picture is dated 1967 and may have been used to promote the family business in El Monte.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is a link to the photos (lots of bugs, buses, rails, a notch and a Thing along with other cars): https://pbase.com/asmywhim/automobiles&page=all

Does anyone remember this yard in El Monte?
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone remember "German Auto Salvage" in El Monte, CA Reply with quote

Or this photo is entitled "Roscoe Auto Salvage" in Ventura. No date on it:
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone remember "German Auto Salvage" in El Monte, CA Reply with quote

Shoyrtt wrote:

I went there in the 90ies and they still had that doublecab. It had the same paint job but looked less fresh.
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone remember "German Auto Salvage" in El Monte, CA Reply with quote

YES!!!!!
I worked in S ElMonte when machine shops were everywhere, all gone now.

Up in Irwindale there was also another German salvage
There was also a yard w only Model T's, all Porsche, or the dealership
Sticks Unlimited<old corvettes dirt cheap. I think it may survived, driveshaft specialties where I had my driveshaft made up for my V8 240Z.
Azusa was spotted w VW rebuilders where you could get a turnkey rebuild for $400 exchanged.
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone remember "German Auto Salvage" in El Monte, CA Reply with quote

I think German Auto Salvage was on Rosemead and close to Rush St if I remember correctly.

Russ' Recycling in Irwindale was my go-to spot BITD.

Also Pick-A-Part on Peck and Arrow Highway always had ACVW's in there.

Too bad I was so broke back then. I couldn't afford hardly any of it!!!
SBS #00
Old Paint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone remember "German Auto Salvage" in El Monte, CA Reply with quote

I remember Russ' Recycling. All those Split buses that were scrapped. Would fetch top dollar. Russ was great, So was Dave who worked there on Saturdays. Russ sold the place then it went downhill fast. I remember going in there wanting a upper air vent access plate. The new guy said $40. I rolled my eyes. Every single bus had one!!!! I stopped going there after that.

1961 Ragtop
1961 Single Cab (Old Paint)
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone remember "German Auto Salvage" in El Monte, CA Reply with quote

Shoyrtt wrote:

My guess late 1970's- mid eighties.

i lived in Camarillo for two years. I parked my 1965 hardtop Deluxe in that very spot on several occasions. Sad Still have the Bus though Cool

There used to be a VW only junkyard in downtown Upland, I think it was. Went in there once looking for thermostat parts and the "expert" said that "aircooled VW's never had thermostats" Rolling Eyes

Then there was <Larry's Old Volks Home in San Bernardino...

That's Larry sitting on the tailgate. Second from left Jim Bradshaw(I think?), Larry's driver.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: