Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which speakers do you have in your doors?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lloydy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Which speakers do you have in your doors? Reply with quote

i have this exact set up ready to fit when my van is back from paint, do you have any pics of the 'minor modification' you had to make to get the 6.5" in? i was thinking of spacing the speaker out a little so it fitted
Vanlife Geek wrote:
I installed the Focal Access 165 A3 6.5-Inch 3-Way Component Speaker Kit, https://amzn.to/3v3aKkw. This kit comes with 6.5" woofers, 4" midranges, and tweeters which I mounted at the corners of the dash. It also comes with a pair of crossovers which I mounted under each seat. The 6.5" speakers took a minor modification of the door metal to fit. I used acoustic foam speaker baffles behind all the speakers in the door. This is my third Westy and third speaker installation and this time I got it right. I'm blown away by the quality of the audio these speakers produce. I can't imagine what the higher end Focal's must sound like.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
The grills for the 4" speakers will "auto fit" the contours of the dash upon closing the door.
Slim Speaker Baffles - 6.5": https://amzn.to/33WdRyG, 4": https://amzn.to/2QqUj2i

oldskewlsk8ter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Which speakers do you have in your doors? Reply with quote

I’ve been running some cheap power bass components in some universal ABS speaker pods I installed on the ABS door panels. I like the staging but wanna upgrade to Focal soon.

Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Which speakers do you have in your doors? Reply with quote

lloydy wrote:
i have this exact set up ready to fit when my van is back from paint, do you have any pics of the 'minor modification' you had to make to get the 6.5" in? i was thinking of spacing the speaker out a little so it fitted

I wish I could remember what I cut out to make the bottom speaker fit, but it's been many years. I just remember to get it to fit, there was a small piece of the door innards that was preventing it to fit, so I cut it out. It didn't look like it would lessen the strength of the door, I reasoned at the time. I'm sure I was right. Since you already have the exact same speakers, you'll see the spot that needs trimming once you get the door panel off and start placing that speaker where it goes. As I recall, there was really only one place it would fit, with some trimming. I can't even remember what I used to trim the metal. Do'h... sorry I can't be of more help. I should have taken pictures as I installed them.

While the door panel is off, you might also consider putting some sound mat on the inside of the doors while the access is good. I definitely thought it was worth doing.
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Which speakers do you have in your doors? Reply with quote

Obviously a lot of audiophiles here! Having a good sound system to enjoy your favorite tunes while camping may be desirable, but I find that road noise at 65 mph cancels out most of the advantages on the Highway of life!

Also wondering how many negate the purpose of the original plastic moisture barrier after installing speakers in the doors…

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Which speakers do you have in your doors? Reply with quote

Red Ryder wrote:
Obviously a lot of audiophiles here! Having a good sound system to enjoy nice tunes while camping may be desirable, but I find that road noise at 65 mph cancels out most of the advantages on the road.

For me personally, I don't use the car stereo much while camping. The amp uses too much power and I prefer using earbuds with my phone, tablet, or laptop while camping. A powerful amp and quality speakers are great for overcoming the road noise, and I like to listen to it loud when driving on road trips. Mine still sounds great at 65 with the windows down. I know it's loud when I see the rear view mirror vibrating in sync with the subwoofer. Good tunes while driving make the miles fly by and I'm often surprised at how much time has passed when rocking out to some of my favorite albums... "Damn, I'm there already?!"
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snoww_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Which speakers do you have in your doors? Reply with quote

I've got a '91 Carat that came with Polk speakers stock and I wanted to stick with the brand but modernize.

I went with the DB522 when I replaced the door panel with and ABS version, the DB692 in the rear AC housing, and made a center console around the auto gear select for a DB1042 .

Amp and wiring are under the driver seat with the aux battery, sounds great!
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Which speakers do you have in your doors? Reply with quote

I have some vintage MBQuart 5.25" speakers in the door. These recess into the doors well and clear the dash and window crank.

MB Quart 5.25" Speaker by Patrick Brown, on Flickr

MB Quart 5.25" Speaker by Patrick Brown, on Flickr

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Flickr --> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQNUXEF
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Which speakers do you have in your doors? Reply with quote

oldskewlsk8ter wrote:
I’ve been running some cheap power bass components in some universal ABS speaker pods I installed on the ABS door panels. I like the staging but wanna upgrade to Focal soon.

Very nice solution. Cool

I posted on the last page about fitting 6.5”s in the stock upper location. I’ve changed it around since then and modified the Rocky Mountain Westy door pockets to fit 6.5”s. No more speakers up at the stock location.

lloydy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Which speakers do you have in your doors? Reply with quote

Thanks, ill just check when i get the van back, im just too eager! Laughing as for sound deadening, i agree i already have some in there when i fitted some 5.25" focals in the top location.
as for the comment about wind noise, yes these vans can get noisy. i found the biggest change for me wasnt all the sound deadening, it was fitting a sub, really does cancel out a lot of external sound. Hence me now deciding its worth fitting better audio.
Its really interesting seeing the 6.5"s fit in those door pods, that looks a really good idea and something i may now invest in..

Vanlife Geek wrote:
lloydy wrote:

I wish I could remember what I cut out to make the bottom speaker fit, but it's been many years. I just remember to get it to fit, there was a small piece of the door innards that was preventing it to fit, so I cut it out. It didn't look like it would lessen the strength of the door, I reasoned at the time. I'm sure I was right. Since you already have the exact same speakers, you'll see the spot that needs trimming once you get the door panel off and start placing that speaker where it goes. As I recall, there was really only one place it would fit, with some trimming. I can't even remember what I used to trim the metal. Do'h... sorry I can't be of more help. I should have taken pictures as I installed them.

While the door panel is off, you might also consider putting some sound mat on the inside of the doors while the access is good. I definitely thought it was worth doing.

Chilepines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Which speakers do you have in your doors? Reply with quote

Took a cue from GalaxyVortex and mounted Polk DB652 6.5 inch speakers in the existing speaker location. Used a slightly different approach and did not need to modify the door or speaker at all.

There is an existing hole to the rear of the speaker opening. I used that to attach a bracket that I cut from a stainless steel light switch plate.
The speakers sound awesome compared to the 4 inch that were there before!
Kblack1101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Which speakers do you have in your doors? Reply with quote

Chilepines wrote:
I used that to attach a bracket that I cut from a stainless steel light switch plate.

Nice job. Do you have a photo or a drawing of the bracket you can share? Very Happy Very Happy
Chilepines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Which speakers do you have in your doors? Reply with quote

Kblack1101 wrote:

Nice job. Do you have a photo or a drawing of the bracket you can share? Very Happy Very Happy

No photos of the bracket - thought about that after it was all back together.
Cut the corner off the outlet cover. The outlet cover is not flat - flattened that with a vise and pliers. Drilled through it to mount to the door, with a few washers to fill the recess/gap at the edge, then lined it up a drilled a pilot hole and used a self-tapping screw to mount the speaker.

Kblack1101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Which speakers do you have in your doors? Reply with quote

Chilepines wrote:
No photos of the bracket - thought about that after it was all back together.
Cut the corner off the outlet cover. The outlet cover is not flat - flattened that with a vise and pliers. Drilled through it to mount to the door, with a few washers to fill the recess/gap at the edge, then lined it up a drilled a pilot hole and used a self-tapping screw to mount the speaker.

Along with the photos from above, this concept is clear enough. Thank you! Cool Cool Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: