Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Two small projects - EMPI'D Twice !!!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject: Two small projects - EMPI'D Twice !!! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

First two were for a remote oil filter. - Look at the angle of the filter pipe thread. This will never seal.

Second came with a K.S. kit.
Couldn't even fir =t a gasket on that piece of crap.

EMPI Sucks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bug68m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Two small projects - EMPI'D Twice !!! Reply with quote

Yep agree, I just got a Jaycee pulley that is now made by empi and could not stop it from leaking and when measured it was 0.17mm under size on the reverse thread
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Two small projects - EMPI'D Twice !!! Reply with quote

The derale brand oil filter adapters are made in USA and much better quality, only ~$30-$35 at Summit, Amazon, etc.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Two small projects - EMPI'D Twice !!! Reply with quote

https://www.shop.perma-cool.com/Oil-Filter-Mounts_c76.htm
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Two small projects - EMPI'D Twice !!! Reply with quote

X2 on Perma-cool, I bought a remote filter assembly from them a few years back for a grease-car project. Good quality, good price.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Two small projects - EMPI'D Twice !!! Reply with quote

Every Mistake Passes Inspection

What’s That Noise?!?
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Two small projects - EMPI'D Twice !!! Reply with quote

I'm not sure why it's so hard for Empi to tap that perpendicular. Clearly they aren't even trying.

They must be buying the seconds... as the other "better" one look identical in the pictures and I'm sure are made overseas as well.

Mine was that bad, if not worse... but I was still able to fix it and get the sealing surface perfect basically only using sandpaper and a flat surface.

Last edited by evanfrucht on Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Two small projects - EMPI'D Twice !!! Reply with quote

Bought a Derale.
EMPI is in the trash after refund from cip1
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Two small projects - EMPI'D Twice !!! Reply with quote

cip1 and EMPI have known about since mid November 2020! I had ordered 3 of these. At that time Cip1 said all 20 they had in stock were bad!!!
I was advised that EMPI would have to authorize a credit.
I got my credit and threw out the junk.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Two small projects - EMPI'D Twice !!! Reply with quote

Guys there is a big picture that you are not seeing.

First it was the virus slowing everything down, the it is not only the auto industry not getting computer chips, parts of all kinds are getting held up. Companies are trying to get anything they can and fast but the rush is causing buying from inferior shops.

This to me has been a real mess for me--USPS and UPS have slowed down.
Priority is no longer next day it is week or anyone's guess. Lack of driver or Amazon and Apple are killing them, or is it politics ???

Which brings us back to EMPI. In the 60s to the 80s only excellent parts were bought by EMPI. Part are no longer top of the line as in the photos shown.

LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Two small projects - EMPI'D Twice !!! Reply with quote

It's the same old story. A company develops or buys a brand with a name that becomes associated with quality. Then they start dropping the quality while still charging the same price. Bosch is notorious for this, not with the products that have their name on them, but the companies they buy. They did it to Dremell, Vermont American, and I'm starting to notice Diablo saw blades are getting sloppy.

Empi has been hit and miss crap for over 25 years. Not that they don't make good parts still, it's just that no one is stopping all the bad parts from going out the door with the good ones.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Two small projects - EMPI'D Twice !!! Reply with quote

Mighty strong opinions from a guy with a fram oil filter.
I was going to make a joke that that holder only works with fram filters, but you already have one. wow

Being a hotrodder has a LONG history and you aren't totally "in the know" about what the expectations should be for this and that.

Some people it is like a "life size" revell model car, more of an stylistic idea than a actual tool. for car shows and ect,
That's what wire screen airfilters would be for, decoration, but look it runs too!.....
others THINK they can fix the problems themselves, so "yeah it ain't perfect but I got such a good deal on it I'll fix it myself".
And some can, some can't but think they can.
You seem to think that these are parts for some actual purpose. oops Razz

But yeah at one time VW's were cars and EMPI made good accessories for them.
Now they are toys and china makes replicas of antique accessories.
Kadrons were for the puma, a brazil sportcar. The manifolds were made of steel, the airfilters were round. Your not even copying the past correctly. But maybe all the fun of model cars was not making them correct, but imagining what could be.

Anyway, yes, EMPI is now the JC whittney of old VWs
Like, the acme mailorder form roadrunner and coyotee
Lowest prices, fast delivery. Your results may vary. for offroad use only, no warranty once package is opened.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Two small projects - EMPI'D Twice !!! Reply with quote

modok wrote:
I was going to make a joke that that holder only works with fram filters, but you already have one. wow

Being a hotrodder has a LONG history and you aren't totally "in the know" about what the expectations should be for this and that.

Some people it is like a "life size" revell model car, more of an stylistic idea than a actual tool. for car shows and ect,
That's what wire screen airfilters would be for, decoration, but look it runs too!.....
others THINK they can fix the problems themselves, so "yeah it ain't perfect but I got such a good deal on it I'll fix it myself".

Kadrons were for the puma, a brazil sportcar. The manifolds were made of steel, the airfilters were round. Your not even copying the past correctly. But maybe all the fun of model cars was not making them correct, but imagining what could be.

Lowest prices, fast delivery. Your results may vary. for offroad use only, no warranty once package is opened.

Lowest prices, fast delivery. Your results may vary. for offroad use only, no warranty once package is opened.[/quote] Applause

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Two small projects - EMPI'D Twice !!! Reply with quote

modok wrote:

Hysterical.

I had a young guy at the local FLAPS trying so hard to get me to buy the orange filter instead of the one I had picked. I politely told him that they weren't as good as they were maybe 25-30 years ago, and that I preferred the brand I had picked. He pushed his opinion further, but one of the other parts guys had pulled up a YouTube video where they dissect the Fram PH8A and show how poor it is. The counter kid got quiet really fast.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Two small projects - EMPI'D Twice !!! Reply with quote

Businesses, have quotas and when you have orders and your vender cannot supply the quality part he was sending.. Things get tough for the Purchasing Agent. He has to fill the gap, his job depends on it.

Customers are freaking due to the long delivery time. Pressure to find another vender, no time to check the part.

Even huge companies have that same problem, that is were the word RECALLS, comes in.

LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Two small projects - EMPI'D Twice !!! Reply with quote

Quality and availability of parts is a problem everywhere these days

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Two small projects - EMPI'D Twice !!! Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
Businesses, have quotas and when you have orders and your vender cannot supply the quality part he was sending.. Things get tough for the Purchasing Agent. He has to fill the gap, his job depends on it.

Customers are freaking due to the long delivery time. Pressure to find another vender, no time to check the part.

Even huge companies have that same problem, that is were the word RECALLS, comes in.

The last company I worked for originally had built a reputation on quality. Three of the management people bought out the owner and turned it from a local company into an international one in about 12 years. In order to do that they hired anyone that was breathing, had a pulse and could drive a service truck to meet the demand. Quality control became the responsibility of the customer.

It worked... for a number of years but when times got tough and the customers started looking at value as opposed to volume... it didn't.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Two small projects - EMPI'D Twice !!! Reply with quote

MAYBE they are using this opportunity to get rid of the "stuff in the back"
But the intake manifolds have been like that for over 10 years.
Bug53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Two small projects - EMPI'D Twice !!! Reply with quote

modok wrote:

In 1971 I bought real good stuff from J.C.Whitney.

Currently (2021) what is wrong with Fram Filters? I am waiting with baited breath to hear the answer.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Two small projects - EMPI'D Twice !!! Reply with quote

They tend to be made of very thin steel, and inside is a paper/glue filter unit with minimal support.
The filter material is not high flow and neither is the casing.
Now, MAYBE nothing is wrong with them as long as used in "normal conditions"
But they have been known to explode, or the filter media collapse.

Data shows people who got a covid vaccine are less likely to die of any reason. ANY reason Laughing
What does it mean? It means IMO, a strong desire to live is a risk factor for getting vaccines. And a strong desire to live does seem to result in reduced mortality of any kind.

Fram oil filters are the #1 brand found on blowed up engines.
Now, this does not mean the filter blew up all the engines.
Correlation but not a causation.

It just means people who blow up engines LIKE fram oil filters.

Now, I wonder why?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: