Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1977 CE1 Rebuild thread (barn find)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 CE1 Rebuild thread (barn find) Reply with quote

Wow, fantastic!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 CE1 Rebuild thread (barn find) Reply with quote

it will be nice to wrap this up and get him back in the wind. if anyone deserves it, it's Marshall. he is such a genuine guy. how he found a dirtbag like me i'll never know

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 CE1 Rebuild thread (barn find) Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
it will be nice to wrap this up and get him back in the wind. if anyone deserves it, it's Marshall. he is such a genuine guy. how he found a dirtbag like me i'll never know

I wanted your hands on this vehicle because competence and a "cry once and do it right" mentality are the attributes in anyone I work with that are the most important. Whether that is building a fence, building out fiddly internet infrastructure (my day job) or wrenching on vintage vehicles.

Stand tall, brother. Your head's in the right place, which means what comes out of your shop is, too.

Marshall
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 CE1 Rebuild thread (barn find) Reply with quote

So Skills showed the work that it took to correct the lip on this windshield, including digging out prior "repair" (brazed brass and a bucket of bondo) that extended 1/3 up the A pillars. He cut pieces from a donor and welded them in, as well as replacing the wholly rusted out lip across the bottom.

Neighbors, I don't know how he does this other than native genius, but either he didn't send me any pictures with bondo on it, or he just did the whole thing in metal and rubbed it with scotchbrite until it was the right shape. Anyway, here's the finished work on the windshield lip:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 CE1 Rebuild thread (barn find) Reply with quote

Brought the Bus home this weekend. 260 mile drive, and it did great. Now in my shop to get its interior.

webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 CE1 Rebuild thread (barn find) Reply with quote

So my VW Bus is home. I love the Vintage VWs, but have never much liked VW of America (the dealer network.) How do you drive a classic without the VW bubble all over everything? Like this. I had this shifter knob custom made from a billiard cue, with the city crest of Hannover, Germany on it: The city of origin for VW Buses from 1950-1979. Instead of honoring the brand, I've decided to honor the people of Hannover with my Bus.

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 CE1 Rebuild thread (barn find) Reply with quote

Saw your post on FB. Glad the Bus is home and doing great!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 CE1 Rebuild thread (barn find) Reply with quote

All,

So I'm going to throw this out there to all of crazy late Bay folks, and if they hate this thread and won't read it, I'll create a new thread to ask this:

When I was peeling everything off of my Ebola Bus when I first got it back in 2012, one of the things that surprised me (never having owned a Late Bus) was the bushing found in each seat track.

I brought this up online and got told by someone who thought pretty highly of his Bus knowledge that there was no such thing and that someone had just stuck some plastic in there. I didn't believe it then, or now, but I could never find the parts online. Probably not reproduces, said I, to me. Then I see this today:

Fresh from the package:

And installed

This is about 7 years ago. I've never seen these bushing pieces on any exploded diagrams or charts. Any suggestions on where to start looking for these. It would be nice to put the seats back on tracks that actually had all of their parts!

webwalker
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 CE1 Rebuild thread (barn find) Reply with quote

I can tell you I know those exist too (so I don't think you're crazy!) and I imagine they would make the seat slide much nicer than metal on metal as well as take up any wobbliness. I feel like I have remnants sitting in my Bus some place.

I bet they wore/broke easily which would explain the "expert" not knowing about them.

Go Westy appears to have them. Interesting that they state only one needed per seat.

https://www.gowesty.com/product/seat-parts/20305/plastic-guide-for-front-seat-track-

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 CE1 Rebuild thread (barn find) Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Go Westy appears to have them. Interesting that they state only one needed per seat.

https://www.gowesty.com/product/seat-parts/20305/plastic-guide-for-front-seat-track-

Thank you! I'll rattle their cage! It turns out that it is mostly Vanagon shops selling them. Only GoWesty says you need one. Everyone else says you need two per seat. I don't know who's telling the truth.

For those playing along at home, the part number is 251-881-213 and is being reproduced by VW Classic Parts. Because there is compatibility with Vanagon seats through 1991 starting in late mid-year in 1976 with VIN 216 2078 000 it is probably fastest to buy directly from Vanagon suppliers, rather than try to convince your local Bus parts dealer that they should carry a stock part they've never heard of.

The only vendor I've seen who acknowledges that the parts are compatible back into the late bay period is https://bus-ok.nl.

Thanks a lot!

webwalker
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 CE1 Rebuild thread (barn find) Reply with quote

I’ve never been able to get two of the repops in without the seat binding. Let us know if you figure out a trick!

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 CE1 Rebuild thread (barn find) Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
I’ve never been able to get two of the repops in without the seat binding. Let us know if you figure out a trick!Robbie

More lube?

My factory one was over gooped. Which meant it was picking up sand like crazy. (The PO was a legit surfer dude; I think I unloaded five pounds of sand out of that Bus when I was stripping the interior.)

webwalker
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 CE1 Rebuild thread (barn find) Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
I’ve never been able to get two of the repops in without the seat binding. Let us know if you figure out a trick!

Robbie

i've never gotten NOS ones to work either.

there was only 1 per seat on the outer rail and quite honestly are a huge pain in the ass. i deleted them out of my vanagon. seats slide so much better without them and a squirt of Wurth HHS 2000

you need #7 part and part number NLA. click on image to blow it up and zoom in

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 CE1 Rebuild thread (barn find) Reply with quote

Skills,

Thanks again for your contributions to the project.

That Wurth HHS 2000 looks pretty remarkable. What other use cases do you recommend it for on the Bus?

PS: I'm taking the Bus all around the area now doing errands: to the pharmacy, to Tractor Supply to get dogfood, etc, etc. I discovered the #1 "Freeze your Bus Off" problem from the trip home: The intake air duct for the BA6 that is welded thought the body was acting as a ram air scoop and pumping it into the Bus. I gagged it with a shop rag and took the Bus on a bunch of errands last night: no more freeze your bus off.

webwalker
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 CE1 Rebuild thread (barn find) Reply with quote

webwalker wrote:

That Wurth HHS 2000 looks pretty remarkable. What other use cases do you recommend it for on the Bus?

it's kind of waxy and used mainly for slides, like sunroof cables and guides. i was the fucking sunroof guy for Volvo (hated it) but i was the only guy that understood how all the gates worked for the tilt function. this stuff goes on wet and "dries" like a watery grease would be the best i could describe it.

i have used it on the sliding door rails but i much rather use a rag with 0w20 and wipe down the tracks.

let me put it to you this way... a can of the stuff issued to me in 2010 walked out of the dealer and it's still 3/4 full. it works great for door check straps that are the plastic variety

and i don't consider the can theft, more like wage compensation.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 CE1 Rebuild thread (barn find) Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
...if anyone deserves it, it's Marshall. he is such a genuine guy. how he found a dirtbag like me i'll never know

You're not really a dirtbag, Skils, you just try pretty hard to sound like one.
It's just fine with me... I've shoveled out a few barns in my life.
Well done, both of you. BTW that looks exactly like the 1976 factory red called "Africa Red". good fun color.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 CE1 Rebuild thread (barn find) Reply with quote

Where'd you get the shifter ball done?
I'd like to get one with the Emden crest
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 CE1 Rebuild thread (barn find) Reply with quote

blue72beetle wrote:
Where'd you get the shifter ball done?
I'd like to get one with the Emden crest

Here's the link:

https://www.ozonebilliards.com/product/custom-cue-ball-personalized-image
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 CE1 Rebuild thread (barn find) Reply with quote

Out in winter, ready to go help a buddy move!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Jump to:
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: