Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bought a 1988 Cabriolet. Have questions about transmission/model
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bonedoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Bought a 1988 Cabriolet. Have questions about transmission/model Reply with quote

Hello! My wife and I bought a 1988 Cabriolet. Can someone tell me what the official name of this would be when searching for parts? Is is a MK ii? Golf? Rabbit? Seems a little confusing.

Also, its an automatic. Can anyone tell me the transmission and engine type? It needs transmission work. Reverse works but not forward. Is this a common issue?
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a 1988 Cabriolet. Have questions about transmission/model Reply with quote

It's a VW Cabriolet. Search for that.

Some people call it a Cabrio. It's not a Cabrio. VW used that name for the model that replaced the Cabriolet. You can call your car anything you want, but when you are talking to others, it's best to not confuse people on using the wrong name.

It's unofficially called a Mk1. They never made a Mk2. Not certain who started the Mk naming. Maybe it was VW, but I don't think so.

They originally came out as a Rabbit convertible then Cabriolet. Since the model was made for many years, there were multiple updates done on the components but most of them are similar and worked from the earliest to the latest years.

The automatic transmission if serviced well, will last a very long time. It's a 010 and very similar to the 090 used on the Vanagon. Audi and Porsche used that transmission too and used a different transmission number for their models.

Kammy has a great Cabriolet site. Search Cabby Info and do not forget to donate a few dollars for her site. As you play around on her site, you will notice no ads. Someone is paying for that site to keep open.
bonedoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a 1988 Cabriolet. Have questions about transmission/model Reply with quote

Thanks! That helps! I have a feeling I will need to put a new transmission in it. We will see how hard it is to find a 010 transmission!
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a 1988 Cabriolet. Have questions about transmission/model Reply with quote

Go to http://cabby-info.com/ and most of your questions will be answered. Very Happy
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: