Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
nah, SBC is so yesterday, LS is where it is at.

LS5 is circa. 1970 Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
mandraks wrote:
nah, SBC is so yesterday, LS is where it is at.

LS5 is circa. 1970 Wink

yeah, my point is that nobody engine swaps to SBC anymore. LS is fuel injected. Tons of them out there for no money. Dave would, of course, swap to a brandnew LSX.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
hoffvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

Watching Once Upon a Time in Hollywood tonight and this caught my eye. It looked too much like the Bitchin' Rides one. Coincidence? How many black with silver hebs are there?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

galencurrington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:
galencurrington wrote:
I watched it last night and I couldn't believe what my eyes were seeing. First of all they put it on an irs pan and hacked it up so they could throw in an automatic from a Vanagon. I can't believe they did that why not learn to drive a stick is beyond me. I mean it's one thing to lower one and put disc brakes but not really change anything incase you want to go back stock which I have seen a few guys do but dang. I'm really not that impressed with his style.

Did you watch the first episode? They explained everything there. Would you have preferred they did that to the original pan?

yeah I caught that too at least they kept it and didn't throw it in the trash. I know a guy that has a split bug and put it on a oval pan just so he could have hydraulic brakes but he kept the og pan to go back later.

I just don't know what people are thinking when they want to put an automatic in an early car like that because you can't learn how to drive a stick. The one guy said he put an automatic in it to handle the 170hp. The wheels just look off to me. i'm sure it will be on barret jackson in a couple years after they had their fun with it.

btw i went to a show a couple weeks ago and someone put a twin turbo ls motor in the middle of a baywindow bus. He said it had 1000 hp. crazy.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

hoffvw wrote:
Watching Once Upon a Time in Hollywood tonight and this caught my eye. It looked too much like the Bitchin' Rides one. Coincidence? How many black with silver hebs are there?

Wow. That's funny. Someone in the production must have been a VW nerd because why else would you rent a Heb to use in a movie? Nobody, other than VW nuts even know that VW ever made a two seat convertible Beetle.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
DDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

Bus on the right, early 60's and a late 60's on the left.
David
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

I have this show in my Queue on Youtube TV. Went to watch it, and when they busted out the grinder in the preview, I stopped watching it.

After reading this thread, I don't think I'll watch it at all... Shocked

*October '54 Ragtop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

David wrote:
when they busted out the grinder in the preview, I stopped watching it.

What did you think they'd use? Nail scissors? Confused

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
David
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
David wrote:
when they busted out the grinder in the preview, I stopped watching it.

What did you think they'd use? Nail scissors? Confused

Laughing

I was just cringing that they were gonna screw it all up. Since they don't do 'restorations' and more custom stuff, I was not looking forward to what it ends up turning into.

*October '54 Ragtop
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
WTF is with those wheels? Rolling Eyes

Up there with some of the ugliest wheels ive ever seen.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

stale air wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:

Those wheels look vaguely familiar; maybe off a recent New Beetle? Unless they were custom made for the show.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
stale air wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:

Those wheels look vaguely familiar; maybe off a recent New Beetle? Unless they were custom made for the show.

They are similar to the VW Heritage wheel but not the same. For one, the Heritage has eight slots. Those abominations have nine.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

stale air wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:
Them wheels are fugly.

It is hard to improve on the stock look, but people keep trying.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

as someone who is very new to the vw community i feel i should say something.

its ok for people to like things. they dont actually need your approval.

gatekeeping a hobby is a good way to cause people to abandon your community.

classic cars are supposed to be fun guys.
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

I watched the episode and have to disagree with the opinions in this thread for the most part. This body was restored to very high standards. It appeared at first glance to be a nice stock driver. They found out quickly there was a lot of lipstick and hacks that had been performed by the PO. The body was welded to the pan, the semaphores were in the wrong location, there were several modifications that were incorrect or done poorly. They dipped the body to get all of the bondo and crap off of the car to expose all of the flaws. At that point in the build, they explained how the owner could not drive a stick and so they sourced an IRS pan to build with the Vanagon auto trans and restored the stock engine, pan and components to return it to original in the future if desired. If a person has the resources to enjoy the car to their liking, why the grief when they made the commitment to preserve the original equipment?
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

hoffvw wrote:

That probably is the same car. If you watch the extra features for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood they have a whole section devoted to the cars that were used in the movie and profile the fellow responsible for assembling them. I want to say his shop is in the Burbank area. In the Bitchin' Rides episode they showed two Hebs at a show in Pomona. One was for sale and one was not for sale (by the way the one not for sale was slammed on Fuchs). I'm guessing the production company for Once Upon a Time knew the Heb was in So Cal and available for the movie.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

Jimone wrote:
as someone who is very new to the vw community i feel i should say something.

its ok for people to like things. they dont actually need your approval.

gatekeeping a hobby is a good way to cause people to abandon your community.

classic cars are supposed to be fun guys.
It is also ok for people to not like things. Most VW people are not on these forums. The people who are express their opinions, good, bad and otherwise. It is just the way it is.

You will find waaay more good than bad here, and if people only said nice things, then you might not get the best information or advice.

The people who own that car put it out there for the world to see, as did the people who built the car. If they can't handle people seeing it and having opinions about it, then they should be less narcissistic and keep it to themselves.

And those wheels are still fugly.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

well said Lind Applause

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
azmodela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

Shoyrtt wrote:
I watched the episode and have to disagree with the opinions in this thread for the most part. This body was restored to very high standards. It appeared at first glance to be a nice stock driver. They found out quickly there was a lot of lipstick and hacks that had been performed by the PO. The body was welded to the pan, the semaphores were in the wrong location, there were several modifications that were incorrect or done poorly. They dipped the body to get all of the bondo and crap off of the car to expose all of the flaws. At that point in the build, they explained how the owner could not drive a stick and so they sourced an IRS pan to build with the Vanagon auto trans and restored the stock engine, pan and components to return it to original in the future if desired. If a person has the resources to enjoy the car to their liking, why the grief when they made the commitment to preserve the original equipment?

I agree with this. With so many things we are quick to judge what’s occurring on the surface, while missing the underlying story. This is one more Heb, correctly repaired and being enjoyed.
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Bitchin' rides Hebmueller restomod Reply with quote

azmodela wrote:
Shoyrtt wrote:

I agree with this. With so many things we are quick to judge what’s occurring on the surface, while missing the underlying story. This is one more Heb, correctly repaired and being enjoyed.

As a member of the registry staff, I can say that heb is almost restored as it should be.. one minus.. inside the heater channels, they forgot the reinforcement rails ( not seen on the video) probably forgot the extra V rail inside the underside reinforcement rail, and they moved the rear body mounts for the fat chick chassis. They also cut out the inner wings in the rear for those shocks... For the rest.. i think it was restored. I know the complete history on this car, except the body nr. That was lost long time ago in Germany. The resto was done by the man who came back from Germany as US soldier. The car was shipped to Usa, restored, shipped back to Germany to be used there... and finaly sold again, shipped by BBT4VW to California. The new owner decided to sell it as he wanted a heb with known body nr. I like that they restored the original floorpan and saved it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: