Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hunting sticky
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

They're 2 1/2" in and out, I welded the inlet to an existing stinger where I whacked it off. No different than running dual exhaust on a BBC, just one sides worth. I did it because of noise requirements where I drive it most of the time. I drive it out there on the weekends on the street and it's got plenty of power. I just added dual carbs, that really woke it up.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

here's a few pics of a buggy I recently picked up. I thought it looked kinda like the Beverly hillbilly's car but a vw buggy version.
after further inspection I believe it was once some ol boy's hunting rig
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

I remember seeing a lot of dune buggies deer hunting etc in NorCal before Baja Bugs became popular.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

I got the 2" muffler in place now - not perfect but pretty quiet. The fan, tappets and tin rattles are the dominant sound now when cruising along at part throttle across the fields and pastures. Absolutely loving this engine! It has to be the smoothest running, best low end torque air cooled engine I have ever owned. That is saying something as I have owned and driven 9 of them over the years.

I am creeping around these days checking my trail camera and spotting game. It will idle through the ditches, gullies and washouts effortlessly all day and when I need a bit of power it is right there with a touch of throttle instantly. Not even a whisper of hesitation. It is 8 to 12 degrees below freezing in the morning right now and a few degrees above by mid afternoon. We will see if this continues when it gets cold by the end of the month.

I need to put some sort of gun rack on it. Just having the gun rattle around isn't cutting the mustard. Suggestions? Needs to be handy to grab...
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

Are you talking about your sandrail? Gotta be chilly cruising at those
Temperatures.
Could you post a picture of the exhaust system, would love to have
My baja that quiet.
Maybe we can see what type gun rack all us amateur inventors can
conjure up for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

Mickey bitsko wrote:
Are you talking about your sandrail? Gotta be chilly cruising at those Temperatures.

Not really, just dress for the weather. No different than snowmobiling or skiing.
Mickey bitsko wrote:
Could you post a picture of the exhaust system, would love to have My baja that quiet.

Will do, this evening.
Mickey bitsko wrote:
Maybe we can see what type gun rack all us amateur inventors can
conjure up for you.

Thanks.

We saw 2 moose this morning by the way, one in a yard hanging from a tractor bucket and the other in the bed of a pickup truck going by. Rolling Eyes
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

Poor picture, took it in the dark. I will add a 90 on the outlet when I get a minute.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

We managed to bag a moose and a mule deer so far... scouting done with the Buggy but actual kill done with the truck. Now if I rigged a small trailer with a winch, I could do it all from the Buggy! It does have a 1 7/8" ball...

Going back out this morning to check on another moose rumored to be close by.

Anyone else having success?
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

Good job on the harvest of your moose and muley. Would love to go moose hunting, though now I'm getting a little long in the tooth.
I wasn't lucky to get an elk tag in New Mexico this year.

What do you have in mind for a buggy trailer?
I'm modifying an old harbor freight motorcycle trailer,
I'll post a picture when I get my bug back from the doctor if you're interested.

Also, your new muffler looks like it will be real quiet..yes?
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

How big was the moose? What caliber did you use? How many shots?

An old truck bed liner helps to skid them out.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

I am not a horn hunter, I do it for the meat so it was a cow moose and a mule doe. My daughter shot the moose with a 4.5mm. All she will admit to is it died from the last shot! Wink Actually is wasn't that bad, didn't go more than a few yards after the first shot and then lay down.

I have a flat deck trailer that was given to me that the axle was too weak on and bent. It was sized to carry 2 quads. If I was to put a sturdier axle under it I also have a 5000 lb electric winch that I could tie to the front and skid them up on it.

Yes the muffler is pretty quiet. I am happy with it, I just need to support it a bit better. It seems to be giving me better power at the top end according to my butt dyno. Not that it is a big deal for creeping around the back country...

We still have a few tags to fill yet. No luck getting an elk tag but maybe that is just as well. They are pretty hard to find out here.
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

Nice, meat hunter here also, still hard to get drawn for ES, maybe next year.
Feral hogs, ducks and geese will fill the bill for now.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

Gonna make some jerkey?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

Haven't been doing jerky yet. Mostly roasts and steaks. The trimmings and front 1/4s go to home made sausage.

Got a nice young white tail buck this afternoon!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

Winter hit with a vengeance yesterday, high winds, blowing snow and poor visibility. Some 2 foot drifts in the yard this morning. I need to feed the coyotes as we spent yesterday boning out that last deer. Just might take the sand rail for a fun spin around the field for some drift jumping... Very Happy
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

When you go scouting in your buggy what types of terrain are you scouting .
Do you use/take tree stands or ground blinds?
The few times I've encountered moose is heavy cover and for the most part wet
And sumpy and extremely hard to navigate.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

Not many pictures of the area with VWs in but this one shows a bit of the hilly country around here. Most of the area is flatter farm land with low spots and bush patches. Mostly I just cruise around the likely looking bush and willow patches and through the trails in the hills. I haven't used blinds yet but am thinking about one for next year. Trees as a rule are not big enough to support a stand.

As for the wetlands for moose... they are out of luck for the most part, there are next to none. The best they have to hang out in is little pot holes in the fields and this year I can drive across any number of them and not wet a tire. Pretty dry year!

Most of the land is much flatter than this. I put a 1 1/2" lift on my Jetta and used it a few times for scouting too on the flatter fields.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

Used to sit in a stand and wrap up in a sleeping bag when cold. Now wwhen cold, I am in a blind with a buddy heater. Don't see or hear as much in the blind, but I am toasty. Won't be too many more years before I just show up for the camp experience.
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

Fun looking country and good looking shelter/brush patches probably holds critters.
You have upland game, hogs anything like that?

As far as cold weather, I don't do that anymore. I'm in Southwest for fall, winter and spring
My fun time starts in November till I head north mid May.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting sticky Reply with quote

There are a few spots that wild boar have escaped and gone feral. Nothing close by I am aware of though. Antelope do occasionally show up here but not enough to open a season on them. Bison get away from the Bison farmers now and then but not in numbers large enough to establish a population. Cougars and black bears are here too but are rarely seen.

Mule deer here by the thousands, white tailed deer by the hundreds, moose are very common and there are some large herds of elk (30 to 70) too if you know where to find them.

The undulates are pretty tasty here being mostly grain fed... Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: