Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The VIN on the VIN plate does not match m-plate VIN. Why?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimstickley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: The VIN on the VIN plate does not match m-plate VIN. Why? Reply with quote

I am looking at a 1959 23 window bus. Everything looks right BUT something is strange. The VIN stamped on the body matches the VIN plate VIN. However the VIN number is just slightly different on the M-Plate. Here is an example: The VIN on the body would be 121121 BUT the VIN on the M-Plate would be 121131. The second to last digit is one higher on the M-Plate than on the VIN plate.

How can that be? Does this mean the M-Plate was forged? If so, why would they put the wrong VIN? Seems like if they were trying to screw with it, they would not make that obvious of a mistake.

Also, the VIN on the body has been sent in for a birth certificate and the birth certificate came back correct info for the 23 window.

Has anyone every heard of the VIN numbers not matching between the VIN plate and the M-Plate?
Thanks!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The VIN on the VIN plate does not match m-plate VIN. Why? Reply with quote

jimstickley wrote:
I am looking at a 1959 23 window bus. Everything looks right BUT something is strange. The VIN stamped on the body matches the VIN plate VIN. However the VIN number is just slightly different on the M-Plate. Here is an example: The VIN on the body would be 121121 BUT the VIN on the M-Plate would be 121131. The second to last digit is one higher on the M-Plate than on the VIN plate.

How can that be? Does this mean the M-Plate was forged? If so, why would they put the wrong VIN? Seems like if they were trying to screw with it, they would not make that obvious of a mistake.

Also, the VIN on the body has been sent in for a birth certificate and the birth certificate came back correct info for the 23 window.

Has anyone every heard of the VIN numbers not matching between the VIN plate and the M-Plate?
Thanks!

There are people who make Mcode plates post a pic.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The VIN on the VIN plate does not match m-plate VIN. Why? Reply with quote

The factory did make mistakes occasionally, but they are rare.
Please post pics of all three VINs

There are a lot more fraudulent 23-windows out there than factory mistakes. And I mean fraudulent, not clones. I exposed one earlier this year.

This is a '73 bus that was in my shop. I noticed the dash VIN plate as I was walking by, and I was thinking to myself, "that isn't a '72". Sure enough, it was stamped incorrectly at the factory. On these ones, we usually go with best two out of three.... Wink
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: The VIN on the VIN plate does not match m-plate VIN. Why? Reply with quote

That 72 bus would suck to get pulled over in. That plate by the windshield is the one cops always look at. Try explaining the factory made a mistake to them. Lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: The VIN on the VIN plate does not match m-plate VIN. Why? Reply with quote

Quick question, were all these raised letter plates typed out by hand on a dog tag style typewriter by some stenographer? My guess would be yes.

Second question, does anyone have a picture of the machine used to produce m-plate/vin tags?
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The VIN on the VIN plate does not match m-plate VIN. Why? Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
The factory did make mistakes occasionally, but they are rare.
Please post pics of all three VINs

x2
Can you find the mistake?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was advertising a bus for a friend, and it turned out the title had two of the numbers transposed. At some point an inspector must have wrote it down wrong. The buyer thought I was a scammer and backed out. Crying or Very sad Kind of a PITA.
Got it inspected and the title fixed. It sold for more to a different buyer. Very Happy This bus had a fat mcode plate, a 70 dormy westy, with power brakes, ambulance fans, full width bed, etc.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The VIN on the VIN plate does not match m-plate VIN. Why? Reply with quote

I had a '78 bus once on which the VIN number on the title started with 118...., while the VINs on the bus all matched and started with 228....

The bus had never left the state, so every time it got titled, nobody checked the VIN, or at least the first part of the VIN. The person from the dealership was probably more used to writing beetle VINs on title applications.

I took in in to the DMV, and they cut me a correct new title quick and easy, as the problem was obvious.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: The VIN on the VIN plate does not match m-plate VIN. Why? Reply with quote

Similar problem with an oval window title - didn't catch it until it was going to Mexico. In Houston there is only one place on one day a month for fixing a title, the auto theft task force office on the first Monday of the month. Guy was super cool, saw the issue right away, but I had to wait for that and the corrected title. Buyer stuck with it though

yeah we need to see pics of this
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: