Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starting a rebuild of a 1966 Beetle Sedan
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Starting a rebuild of a 1966 Beetle Sedan Reply with quote

zachattack1966 wrote:

I think this helps that I don't need to completely disassemble the whole thing and then piece it back together. Are you suggesting that you can always change things as you go or after you get them to a working condition? I.E. priority getting it moving and not prone to explode Laughing

Correct. Your senior year is big year and you sound busy so tackle one thing at a time. Otherwise you will end up with 5 things taken apart, parts missing and parents puzzled at what your doing.

Most of the basics can be tackled in a weekend with some planning and research. VW's are simple but take your time. The week before apply some sort of penetrating oil every day on the area you plan to work on. A broken bolt or stripped thread will set you back really fast and make an hour job a three day nightmare.

If you want to see how to do it the complete way check out my build thread. (In my signature.) It started as a slow Father/Son project but then exploded... Not my first rodeo though. I was where you are at only point so start slow and ask questions.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BSheldon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting a rebuild of a 1966 Beetle Sedan Reply with quote

It's always really nice to see anyone from the current generation of teens step up and take interest in classic cars, mechanical knowledge, and projects like this. It's the kind of passion I do my best to instill in my own kids, and the stuff memories are really made of.

As someone who was in your shoes 20 years ago and had my "the one that got away" story back in my junior year of high school, I'll definitely continue to be interested in what you do with the car. You're doing right now what it's taken me two decades to get back to. As a recent purchaser of a '66 myself, I'm doubly interested in how you get along with this project.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Starting a rebuild of a 1966 Beetle Sedan Reply with quote

zachattack1966 wrote:

I think this helps that I don't need to completely disassemble the whole thing and then piece it back together. Are you suggesting that you can always change things as you go or after you get them to a working condition? I.E. priority getting it moving and not prone to explode Laughing

Absolutely! Get it to the point where you can drive it safely, then knock out small projects as time allows. it'll also keep you motivated if you can still use and enjoy the car in the meantime. You can drive it with the bumper removed or whatever, you can't when it's in thousands of pieces in the garage.

Dad and I were actively restoring my 73 while I was in high school, and the car remained my primary transportation throughout. Friday after school we'd tear into that weekend's project, then scramble on Sunday evening to get it back together enough to drive the next morning! A couple times I drove it without a rear fender, just a taillight zip-tied into place Laughing
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
zachattack1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting a rebuild of a 1966 Beetle Sedan Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was able to grab these pictures last night.

For those who are pretty engine savvy, does anything look out of place? I know I need an oil cleaner and I'm guessing a couple hoses.

Do you recommend trying to start it up before I pull it out of the car or should I do my best to clean it up and replace lines and such first?

Can't wait to hear your guys' thoughts!

Other than that, there's the damage, pretty minor and didn't affect any of the spare tire well but sucked the bumper in a bit.

Door cards are pretty brittle from sitting in the sun but most of the hardware looks good. 👍
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting a rebuild of a 1966 Beetle Sedan Reply with quote

IMO if the engine has not turned over in a while it is best to pull the plugs and squirt some lubricant in there before you try and turn it over. Rust/stuck piston rings to the cylinder wall is what you want to check for as that will break your piston rings causing you to burn oil or worse. Let it sit for a while. Then with the plugs out hand rotate the motor over to make sure you do not have a stuck cylinder. (Usually you can do this from the generator but you may need to put a wrench on the crank pulley. rotate it around at least two full turns. If it rotates over easily by hand then you should be safe to try and start it.

Remember you need fuel, air and spark.

Pull the distributor cap off See if it cranks over with the starter.
Put the cap on and with the plugs out of the car but connected to the ignition wires hold the plug near some metal (not touching but close) and see if you get a spark to jump. (that means you have ignition) (This is a two man job BTW)
Put the plugs back in and poor some gas down the carb and see if it fires.

If it fires or not you likely need to clean your carb & fuel pump. Sitting gas can gum things up. Also check your fuel lines and install a filter somewhere between the tank and fuel pump temporarily. Any gas in your tank is probably no good so you may need to address that first or simply use a portable gas can and run a hose into it form the fuel pump. Remember though if there is gas in the tank then it will drain as soon as you disconnect the fuel pump from gravity. If it starts the last thing you want is rusty gas fouling your carb or worse a fire from a bad gas lines.

Have fun, be careful and think safety.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Starting a rebuild of a 1966 Beetle Sedan Reply with quote

Before you try starting it check to make sure nothing has made a nest in the engine tins or anything. Poke around through the spark plug holes and also from underneath the car in the pushrod area. If some critter was living in there, the debris could block cooling airflow and/or catch on fire.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: