Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing the engine compartment seal
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirk knighton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Replacing the engine compartment seal Reply with quote

This is for my 1974 Wagon Sparkie ( the one and only! ). That foam seal around the engine is falling apart in pieces, time for a new one!
BUT: can it be replaced without taking the engine out? A lot of fuel injection stuff squished in there; I can't tell at first glance if I can simply wedge a new one in.
Also, is the seal just one for the Type 4, or is it simply stock and you cut to fit?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing the engine compartment seal Reply with quote

You can do it with the engine in with few issues. Just make sure its cool.

The general type 4 engine seal fits all. Its a little long and you will trim to fit if needed.

So....I start it at the top center right in the middle of the forward sheet metal bulkhead at the case centerline. I typically will clamp it there with locking pliers or hemostat or tape.

You can go right or left....but you can generally reach this forward sheet metal pretty easily. Starting left-ward.....Its pretty easy until you get down around level with the fuel pressure regulator. Then there is lots of stuff in the way.

So you have about 2 feet of it installed....and at that point....I take the free end of the seal and stuff it into the crack between the body and sheet metal.....then get down underneath the car and pull the whole seal down below....then start stuffing it in ....upward....from underneath.

On the wagons....its tougher because then you get around to teh rear...turn teh corner and you have to reach over the muffler. I remove the rear vertical slotted valance as well to do this section.

Its a little easier on the sedans in the muffler area.

Once I get to the right end of the muffler....its hit or miss whether I want to pull the remaining seal length back up top side to work it in from there.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kirk knighton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing the engine compartment seal Reply with quote

Whew! Okay, they have them at bughaus.com for $50. I'll order one and have a go at it. Thanks!

Also - no glue or anything to hold it in place?
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing the engine compartment seal Reply with quote

Kirk,

Ray is right. The wagons are not as easy with the englne in. I have always done this with it out. I glue the foam seal to the engine tin and
I believe this is the way the factory did it as well.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing the engine compartment seal Reply with quote

Pepperbilly wrote:
Kirk,

Ray is right. The wagons are not as easy with the englne in. I have always done this with it out. I glue the foam seal to the engine tin and
I believe this is the way the factory did it as well.

Bill

Really.....with the wagon.....^^^^^.....this IS the best way.

Its really not bad on the sedans.....but you do have to remove the air scoop.

Ray
Cees Klumper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing the engine compartment seal Reply with quote

I installed a new seal on my '71 411 wagon with fuel injection recently. Did not use glue and it only took me maybe 30 minutes. It's in really good and tight. The old one was half gone - now the engine noise in the cabin is much less but the engine compartment does get a lot hotter. But that's how it is supposed to be.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing the engine compartment seal Reply with quote

Cees,

Hopefully the heat shield above the mufflar is installed. If missing it will be very warm in the compartment. Also, is your thermostat functioning correctly. When my wagon was running I really did not notice that much heat…warm yes.

Bill
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: