Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fixed - auto tranny casting degradation leaking through seal 010
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pgtips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Fixed - auto tranny casting degradation leaking through seal 010 Reply with quote

Hi,

Hitting a bit of a problem with my auto box. The inner wall of the case is breaking down in the back wall of the seal area causing leaks.

I'm not sure (need some steer) on how best to tackle this.

As you can see form the pics (there are a few to make it clear the issue) the inner side of the wall around where the seal lip sits is breaking/has broken down.

This causes it to leak, I assumed the leak just needed a new seal as it was leaking but on removal realised/remembered my old seal was actually new a year ago.

I need some advice is how best to tackle this.

My thoughts so far are:
1. Carefully apply a good gasket maker sealant in the area to add extra seal prior to pressing into place the new seal. The bottom part lip on the pan is good.

2. A product called quicksilver, like a metal paste, attempt to build up the area but this might be difficult to get it flush and smooth.

3. Same for trying to use JB weld, how to make it stay smooth and flush.

I am slightly inclined to go down the sealant route or possibly the JB weld route and build it up over a couple of days. JB weld is a bit runny but can be left for 15 minutes to cure a bit before application and bonds firm.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome please.

Sealant/gasket maker might be the simplest route but I am not sure which way tbh.

PG (pics below)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Access is a bit restricted and of course I'm working upside down so its a pain.
thanks in advance, appreciate any input I'm UK based btw

Trim ring info here -> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=559668
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=451210
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479721

Last edited by pgtips on Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: auto tranny casting degradation leaking through seal Reply with quote

The automatic section is shared with other VW and Audi products of the era, so just replacing the entire automatic section would be one way to go.

A bit of sealant on the gasket would likely work for quite a while and is certainly easy to do.
pgtips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Fixed Re: auto tranny casting degradation leaking through seal Reply with quote

Thanks WT

An update to this in case anyone else comes across this leaking ATF from the pan, its an 010 or 090 problem as the 003 had cork gaskets.

I tried a few things, the degraded casing isn't really as much of a problem as it looked because the seal that seals it is a U shape. I tried a few things, new seal obviously but that didn't help.

I found a sealant that was ATF tolerant but made a mistake of smearing it where the groove/U shape bit is thinking I would seal the seal.

A real pain and started to set before I could get it all back together and no surprise the ATF simply poured out again.

So drained again and this time, while apart, a friend welded a drain plug to the sump. Its very disheartening keep wedging and catching good ATF that picks up crud and is easy to become a messy job.

The trick for applying the sealant seems to be (as it is holding up) to put the sealant around the outer lip of the pan/seal. So far this is working. Its much easier to do as well.

Trim ring info here -> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=559668
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=451210
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479721
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixed - auto tranny casting degradation leaking through seal 010 Reply with quote

FWIW, the last time I had the pan off the automatic section on my 1991 vintage 090 I ended up reusing the old gasket as the new one I had intended to use fit poorly and probably would not have sealed well. Crying or Very sad
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Fixed - auto tranny casting degradation leaking through seal 010 Reply with quote

The least fun trans pan seal on this planet. (010)
But seriously, some have mentioned laying out the new seal under a heatlamp to give it some time to go to it's intended shape, then putting in on the pan & letting it 'relax' into shape before attempting a mounting.
At least it's the only thing truly wrong with the later auto box.
Would be nice if they had outfitted it with a converter drain bolt too!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: